just home from the Destiny...I think you will be dissapointed

keenie803

I just got home and couldnt wait to post the news I had...The drydock must have been for some mechanical things because the only thing I saw "New" was the big screen on lido deck. and some new carpeting. they were doing repairs around the ship. our neighboring balcony had a hole in it and the crew just stuffed a towel in it.(wow) plywood in some places. kinda wierd for just coming out of drydock. there was a 4 hour wait to get on the ship...we were supposed to leave at 4pm and I have no Idea when we acctually left. it was well after dark...it was 5:30 before we even got on the ship. people were angry...also...I guess maybe a crew new to the ship. no one seemed to know anything. It took 4 different waiters to show us to our dining table the second night. we missed dinner the first night. The buffets the first night were wiped clean. no silverware, no cups and no ice. I had hot lemonade from a coffee cup (and I got he last one). people were just standing around in awe. and nearly everything the whole cruise didnt start at the scheduled time....but even with all that we had the time of our lives. It was a great first cruise. Everyone kept telling us how mad they were and that this is just not how things usually happen. we didnt really care. we were on vacation :) I just wanted to let all you guys know about it. maybe when they work out the kinks it will be better.

Keenie, glad you stilled managed to have a great cruise in spite of some downsides. We all work hard for our money and when we invest it in what is hoped to be a great experience, we usually have expecations. You have the true cruisers outlook- even if things don't go perfectly on the ship, its still alot better than being bored on land. Your positive attitude will guarantee great vacations no matter where you are, preferably at sea!

I agree there were so many people whining and complaining to the pursers desk...my husband and I were a bit shocked being that we were expecting alot more on the drydock...just said oh well. it is what you make it. we made all the shows and did shore excursions. we had a blast and although it was a little rusty in some places it was always kept clean and the people were friendly...even if they didnt have a clue what was going on. ;) it wasnt their fault. Our waiter Iketul was exceptional. the comedians were hilarious and we loved the shows.Although I don`t have anything to compare it to. I had a blast and can`t wait to do it again. maybe this time with a shorter wait to get on the ship ;)

Keenie, the thing I found the most frustrating about embarkation was the fact that nobody gave the crowds waiting outside in the hot sun any information about why the delay!!(They didn't let most people in!!)

You're right about the mechanical improvements.... I heard the ship had a broken propshaft or something before drydock.

there was also some new carpet, and new dining room chairs (did you notice all the old ones unloaded at Ocho Rios?)

But still... we had a great cruise, and loved our ports of call !!!

I forgot to say that we were watching out our balcony in ocho rios and a guy was not allowed back on the ship. him and his wife/girlfriend were arguing with the ship security peopleand she ended up getting on the ship(crying)but he was left at the pier with his bags as we were sailing away. What sort of thing do you get kicked off for? that is DEFINATELY not the place to be kicked off.

I forgot to say that we were watching out our balcony in ocho rios and a guy was not allowed back on the ship. him and his wife/girlfriend were arguing with the ship security peopleand she ended up getting on the ship(crying)but he was left at the pier with his bags as we were sailing away. What sort of thing do you get kicked off for? that is DEFINATELY not the place to be kicked off.

Yes we saw that too.... I wasn't sure if she was a member of staff..... as she had no bags with her and he had 2.

The big scarey lady in the pink sweater seemed to make the final decision... I'd have loved to know what that was all about...... we felt very sorry for the guy walking back up the pier with his bags!!!!!

Keenie, the thing I found the most frustrating about embarkation was the fact that nobody gave the crowds waiting outside in the hot sun any information about why the delay!!(They didn't let most people in!!)

You're right about the mechanical improvements.... I heard the ship had a broken propshaft or something before drydock.

there was also some new carpet, and new dining room chairs (did you notice all the old ones unloaded at Ocho Rios?)

But still... we had a great cruise, and loved our ports of call !!!

yes I did see the chairs...that was kind of strange. I said maybe I should grab one of those...I want to sit down at dinner tonight :p I was up near the front of the line at embarkation which was frustrating all in itself. so close but you just cant go thru. someone called on the radio at first and they were having a problem with the crane that loads the stuff onto the ship. that was the first hold up. then they started letting people through security. all of a sudden this woman worker comes over from nowhere to this worker standing right in front of us and says" go through the line and make sure all the tickets are for destiny and she said it kind of wierd like. then it was a standstill. The man calls on the radio again and said that there was a couple that got on the wrong ship. How that happens I will never know. anyhow the coast guard shut down all boarding. and all the luggage had to come back off. thats what I heard on the workers radios anyhow. I agree they should have made an announcement. or at least passed out water to those who were outside.

Thanks for sharing Keenie...we sail her in 32 days and cannot wait!!

Did you visit the Piano Bar...if so, who was playing and how was it??

the piano bar is right in the big middle of the ship. I dont know who he was but he did play well. he played the guitar some too. it was very romantic. waiting for dinner and hearing the music play. I loved it.

Yes we saw that too.... I wasn't sure if she was a member of staff..... as she had no bags with her and he had 2.

The big scarey lady in the pink sweater seemed to make the final decision... I'd have loved to know what that was all about...... we felt very sorry for the guy walking back up the pier with his bags!!!!!

HAHA she was kinda scary wasn`t she? I know I felt sorry for him too. I am still wondering if he got home ok. I could hear him telling the security people that he had "zero dollars". we were on deck 9 so we could only hear bits and pieces of the conversation. The lady next to my balcony was watching too and she said that they walked up to the pier with the bags...not from the ship???

the piano bar is right in the big middle of the ship. I dont know who he was but he did play well. he played the guitar some too. it was very romantic. waiting for dinner and hearing the music play. I loved it.
Did you meen the piano bar that you can sit around...or the piano player in the atrium ?

Isn't the piano bar at the back of the promenade deck on this ship? Are you referring to the piano that is in the open space not a room?

Hey Guys,

Did you have new flat screen tv's in the cabins? Did the cabins and bathrooms look remodeled or old and outdated?

On a scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate the condition of the ship?

How was the foood?

What was your favorite thing about the Destiny?

We sail Oct 2 and I want to be able to prepare my group. Thanks for your quick reviews. Many of us were hungry for information.

No flat screen tv's... no updates there!! The screens didn't even show the sail and sign bills!!

The condition generally was about an 8... but... it's still an older ship!! Maybe I'm being slightly unfair, because we were on the Valor the week before....which I would rate as a 10.

The food was normal excellent Carnival quality, and the wait staff were great!!

I don't think our bathroom was remodelled...but the shower was nice and big.

The entertainment was ok... again not as good as the Valor... the assistant cruise director , an English woman, was just annoying!

Ports of call were great..... I loved them all!

Would I sail on the Valor again...??? Yes probably!

Most likely the needs of the ship exceeded the time they allowed for it to be in drydock. You certainly would have been even more disappointed if they canceled your cruise to finish working on her:eek: I am so glad to hear though you enjoyed in spite of a few glitches. The embarkement thingy sounds like customs threw a wrench in the movement, but it is always nice to just know what the hold up is. At a port somewhere, we did get in the wrong line for the wrong Carnival ship, both lines were way too close and very long, hard to tell. Fortunetly, I asked what ship this line was going to, and got directed to the right one. LOL If all you can see is the fin, they all look alike :D

Piano bar is the enclosed bar, usually playing after dinner, thats the one we are all anxious to hear about thanks

Hey Guys,

Did you have new flat screen tv's in the cabins? Did the cabins and bathrooms look remodeled or old and outdated?

On a scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate the condition of the ship?

We just got off the Destiny on 9/26. It was my first cruise so I loved it all, but as far as improvements at dry dock. Our bathroom door didn't fit the frame, we couldn't shut it. Finally on the third day it was fixed. It was no big deal, it was just DH and me so we're comfortable with each other. :p

But our floor. It felt like the metal under it was warper. It popped and thunked very loudly every time we walked on it. Our neighbors could hear us every time, luckily they are our friends! We told several people about it, our steward, pursers, etc, and it was never resolved. They kept promising they would see to it, and call every day and everyday we would say it's still broken. I would have been fine if they just said sorry, we can't fix it without moving your room. I just didn't like that it turned into a daily issue that never came to an end.

However, the Lido Deck was wonderful and the food was great. We did eat breakfast once in the dining room but did the buffet or room service every other morning and liked everything. The only thing food-wise that our group didn't like was the Caesar and the Lobster Bisque (both were very fishy, not in a good way!:( ) I loved the adult pools and the multitude of deck chairs. All in all -- a blast!!!:D :D

oh I didnt know there was a piano bar??? I was assuming u meant the only one I saw which was the one on deck 3 right in the middle with the bar around it. it was the main atrium area. I must have missed the acctual piano bar...where was it?

It is on the Atlantic deck, by the shops and photo gallary. We are anxious to hear if the new one is any good . :)

OK now I am totally curious as to what happened with the people or guy that could not get on the ship? Do you guys think it was someone that was already on the ship and he was not allowed back on? It is all very strange if he was on the itinerary and not allowed back on.

It is on the Atlantic deck, by the shops and photo gallary. We are anxious to hear if the new one is any good . :)

Destiny's Piano Bar (Apollo Bar) is actually located on Deck 5 (Promenade), Starboard side, Aft at the end of Destiny's Way, just before you get to the Criterion Lounge.

Archived