New Cruiser Financial Questions

I am fairly new to cruising. I have taken two 3-night cruises on RCI, and I have a 13-night repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal booked in October.

I’ve recently discovered CC, and have been reading through the forums. I’ve learned quite a bit, but I have a few questions.

• I have plans to book an Alaska cruise in 2010. At that time I will have 4 cruise credits, but the Alaska cruise will bring me up to 5, giving me Platinum C&A status. Will I be considered being Platinum on that cruise, or on the next one? At what point will I be able to take advantage of the perks?
  • Are cruise credits earned by taking a Carnival cruise? If so, are C&A perks applicable to Carnival cruises?
  • I have read where people are taking advantage of drops in prices. Are the only people who are able to take advantage of these drops those who have guarantee reservations? I made my reservations through AAA…can I call them and let them know the prices have come down? Oh, and how do you know if the prices are reduced on your cabin?
  • Now that I am an empty-nester and have been bitten by the cruise bug, I am considering buying stock in RCI in order to take advantage of the shareholder benefits. Please share your opinion on this. Is this a wise thing to do? Is there anything I should know before I do this?
  • I will be 55 in summer 2010. I’ve noticed there may be 55+ discounts. How much is that usually?
  • Do you find it better to book your next cruise on board, or to wait and go through a travel agent?

A few non-financial questions:

• Are guests allowed on board on embarkation day, and how soon before sailing do they need to disembark.
  • How far in advance does RCI normally post their cruises? I’ve not been able to find any information for a summer 2010 Alaska cruise.

have plans to book an Alaska cruise in 2010. At that time I will have 4 cruise credits, but the Alaska cruise will bring me up to 5, giving me Platinum C&A status. Will I be considered being Platinum on that cruise, or on the next one? At what point will I be able to take advantage of the perks?

You aren't considered Platinum until you've COMPLETED your 5th cruise. If the Alaska cruise is your 5th you won't be recognized as Platinum during that cruise.

Are cruise credits earned by taking a Carnival cruise? If so, are C&A perks applicable to Carnival cruises? No, Carnival has their own loyalty program which doesn't offer near the amenities that C&A does.

I have read where people are taking advantage of drops in prices. Are the only people who are able to take advantage of these drops those who have guarantee reservations? I made my reservations through AAA…can I call them and let them know the prices have come down? Oh, and how do you know if the prices are reduced on your cabin? Price drops are valid for any category and don't need to be gty's. All you do is check the price by going on the RCCL website and try to book a cabin on your sailing. If the total is less than what you paid, contact your TA and have them adjust the price and refund your credit card. Price drops can be obtained after final payment and right up to sailing.

Now that I am an empty-nester and have been bitten by the cruise bug, I am considering buying stock in RCI inB order to take advantage of the shareholder benefits. Please share your opinion on this. Is this a wise thing to do? Is there anything I should know before I do this? There have been recent changes to this benefits which IMHO no longer make being a shareholder worth it if you're doing this strictly to gain additional benefits. There's another whole thread on the boards dedicated to this topic which you may want to read.

I will be 55 in summer 2010. I’ve noticed there may be 55+ discounts. How much is that usually? There's no set discount percentage. The senior rates are offered on select cruises and the prices vary accordingly.

Do you find it better to book your next cruise on board, or to wait and go through a travel agent? Booking onboard lets you put down a small deposit of $100.00 pp and gives you an additional OBC. You can transfer this to your TA as well so you get the best of both worlds. Just visit to Loyalty Ambassador onboard and inquire about the Next Cruise Program

A few non-financial questions:

• Are guests allowed on board on embarkation day, and how soon before sailing do they need to disembark. Due to security reasons, no guests are allowed onboard unless they're part of an onboard wedding party.
  • How far in advance does RCI normally post their cruises? I’ve not been able to find any information for a summer 2010 Alaska cruise Roughly 18 months prior

Archived