Tipping question.......

luvmygirlz

They call it a service fee on NCL or something to that effect. I would always pay it, but I am put off by it and I think they should just add it into the cost of the cruise upfront. They do it with the fuel surcharge. As for Carnival, we removed our auto tips and paid in cash last year. We also tipped many of our other servers. Perhaps we're just old school or maybe it just gives us a good reason to be able to hand it to the server and let them know how special they made our trip :)

I actually like the idea of pre-paying. I'm one of those who wish it was just added in the price of the cruise. Pay the workers what they should get and put in the price. All-inclusive should be all-inclusive. I work hard for my money, too, and not in a place that gets tips, so going above and beyond is just expected when necessary. Should I be supplementing Carnival Cruise Lines as they don't appear to be hurting financially?

I think telling people if they cannot afford to add another $140 or more to their trip cost, just to not go on a vacation, is a bit of unfair.

I agree, that whole envelope thing was uncomfortable for me. What I consider a large tip may be considered small to someone else and figuring who got what in what amount was unnecessary stress added to a vacation.

somene asked about kids

we sailed last with our kids, and the dining room staff was awesome...even stopping by our tables in the lido the next day with special treats for our kiddos(adoptive family...really stand out with mixed race family)...so I think the 10 dollar tip a day for them is more than fair considering extra messes and the like...but we did find out that the camp staff pooled tips..which is fine and we understand, but one gal did go out of her way to make it a great trip for my kids, like no one else, so I wish we could have given her the $100 tip we had planned($200 total, other $100 for the rest of the staff.)

Oh well...

have a great trip

DAN40

It is too bad you cannot just answer a question without being so judgemental. True this is a message board, but it is people like you who make judgemental responses to people that keep people away from these boards.

Again, I asked a simple question. I am very new to cruising and still learning. Not that it would make a difference to you, but I have survived on tips before and had a single mother who raised 3 kids on tips. So I DO know how much people depend on tips and would never deny anyone of this.

Glad you admit you did not try or tried in a less than half hearted manner. But your lack of effort does not make a wage guarantee a fiction, it only says you do not want to try.

The "FICTION" in our tip discussions is that YOU say Carnival charges a fee for collecting the tips. This is a figment of your imagination, but you sing it like it was Gospel. And you have not a shred of evidence that it is true. And if it was true, SO WHAT! Its still not an excuse to remove the auto-tip. Poor service is, and that is the only reason.

You are anti auto-tip and PRO service charge. That is a nonsensical position. Against auto-tips because you IMAGINE they charge the workers a fee. Do you somehow believe that if it was a service charge, they would NOT charge a fee? Illogical from ANY aspect.

And I'm not saying that Carnival does not charge the workers something because I do not KNOW, same as you do not KNOW. But I do not care because the workers for the most part, MUST, get the money home. Free, they can send actual cash in an envelope. Not smart, but they could do it. ALL OTHER METHODS of transmitting funds WILL occur some type of a fee.

If you like fiction, here is the "fiction" my imagination conjures up.

"ALL early auto-tip removals are done solely with the intent to cheat and stiff the workers."

Non-fiction is, its only $10.pppd and its a vacation.

Dan

Oooops, I also forgot arrogant. You

DAN40

It is too bad you cannot just answer a question without being so judgemental. True this is a message board, but it is people like you who make judgemental responses to people that keep people away from these boards.

Hmmmm, you sound just a tiny bit judgemental. Just so I understand, I'm not allowed to be judgemental but you are. And I'm the arrogant one. Did I get it right?

Again, I asked a simple question. I am very new to cruising and still learning. Not that it would make a difference to you, but I have survived on tips before and had a single mother who raised 3 kids on tips. So I DO know how much people depend on tips and would never deny anyone of this.

I am not new to cruising or to this board, and others. I have read hundreds, if not thousands of "tipping" posts. They are typically wanting to have an excuse to not tip. That's not what is said, but that is what is meant. ALL? No not ALL, just more than 90%. If you are not a cheapo and do intend to tip,

1. What do you care what I think or say?

2. Why would you remove the tips AFTER the policy has been well explained to you by others as well as me. AND Carnival's policy has been copied here for your information. The same people that DO serve you DO get YOUR money.

Am I judgemental and arrogant? Yes. Who more so, you or me? I'll go with a tie.

Dan

What I want to to know is why do so many people think about it soooo much!

Its a tip!

Indeed! You're on vacation for pete sake!

I actually saw a post on another board where the family of 6 had no intention of wanting to pay the $400 for tips in order to "save" money. If some people see it as a "savings" opportunity, I suspect that causes them to put more energy to itemizing, who ate where,etc. Unfortunate.

I actually saw a post on another board where the family of 6 had no intention of wanting to pay the $400 for tips in order to "save" money. If some people see it as a "savings" opportunity, I suspect that causes them to put more energy to itemizing, who ate where,etc. Unfortunate.

Unbelievable! sorry I subscribe to the theory if you can't afford the tips you should not cruise.. JMHO!

;) :)

That is why they need to make the tip mandatory because of people like that.

• Administrators
....and I think there is a vast difference between people that have a really bad service experience and justly dont tip or reduce tip and then those that look at it in a way to "save" money.

And I think the vast majority of those who inquire about reducing tips BEFORE EVER SETTING FOOT ON THE SHIP are in your latter category. And what all of us think together is ultimately irrelevant. :)

And I think the vast majority of those who inquire about reducing tips BEFORE EVER SETTING FOOT ON THE SHIP are in your latter category. And what all of us think together is ultimately irrelevant. :)

Agreed.

Tipping seems to be a hot button and unfortunately, when people come here (or to other boards) wondering how they can get away with not tipping, everyone chimes in heartily!

Agreed.

Tipping seems to be a hot button and unfortunately, when people come here (or to other boards) wondering how they can get away with not tipping, everyone chimes in heartily!

All they have to do is ask if they can adjust their tips and flippos come out in full force:cool:

Hmmmm, you sound just a tiny bit judgemental. Just so I understand, I'm not allowed to be judgemental but you are. And I'm the arrogant one. Did I get it right?

I am not new to cruising or to this board, and others. I have read hundreds, if not thousands of "tipping" posts. They are typically wanting to have an excuse to not tip. That's not what is said, but that is what is meant. ALL? No not ALL, just more than 90%. If you are not a cheapo and do intend to tip,

1. What do you care what I think or say?

2. Why would you remove the tips AFTER the policy has been well explained to you by others as well as me. AND Carnival's policy has been copied here for your information. The same people that DO serve you DO get YOUR money.

Am I judgemental and arrogant? Yes. Who more so, you or me? I'll go with a tie.

Dan

Sorry, you win. I never said I would. I just simply asked. You are the one about to blow your stack

Archived