my trip Sept 14-21st on the Pearl

mom2agr8boy

I said last week I would post a little more infor on my trip, but have been so busy I haven't had a chance. Just a little back ground. I went on a group trip. There were about 80 something of us coming in from all over the south U.S. It was our yearly awards trip.

Sunday: When we arrived in Seatle it was so disorganized. There was a travel agent there from the Pearl that was suposed to be helping get everybody on a bus to the Pear. Guess what there were none. They were suposed to have 2 Gray Line Seattle busses for us, but they showed up around 1:30 about 1.5 hours after we landed. There was no good place for 80 people to hand around waiting for the bus. We got to the ship around 2:00. Boarding was very quick. When we got on we were able to go right to our room. It was such a nice day we ate lunch outside. The hamburgers were raw. It was not a great meal. We went on a tour of the spa and joined for the week. I loved it, but my mom never even went. Sunday night we went to Mambo's. I had the lobster Taco. It was so very good. I don't remember what my mom got but she didn't like it.

Monday: I woke up very sea sick. The boat was rocking so bad. A lot of the passangers were sick. I also had an upset tummy along with the nausea. I called the nurse. She told me to stay in the room for 2 hours and not to eat or drink anything. I slept for the entire 2 hours. I felt better, but still was unable to walk around the ship. She told me to talke off the patch and go get some pills from the front desk. That worked well I was 1--% better in just a few hours. I also went to the spa and I think tha helped me get over the motion a lot. That night we had a group thing and the Bliss Lounge. It was nice. Then we all went as a group to the Summer Palace. The food there was fair, but not great.

Tuesday: We were at Juneau. It was in the 50's and a light drizle. It did not feel that cold. A matter of fact I kept taking my coat off because I was getting too hot. We went to Mendenhall Glacier and shopped around town. I tought this was the best place to by stuff. Everyting was way marked down being the end of the season. Just a FWI because of all the fog and clouds a lot of the excersions were cancled

Wednesday: Was my favorite day. We got to Skagway early and was docked before 7:00. We got off the boat with no lines at 7:15. We did the train/bus with chikoot charters. At first it was only 13 of us but picked up 2 other people because the fishing trips were cncled due to weather. I will say the weather cleared up and it was the best weather day of the trip. We had such a good time. This trip is so worth the money. The ohnly placed I did not care for was the dog sled place. I thought it was a tourest trap, but everybody else on the trip was saying great things about it.

Thursday: Glacier day was very nice. It was very cold on deck and loved my $9.00 hot choc. We ate almost every meal at the Garden Cafe. I loved the atmosphere and the salad bar was great. This was the only day I was unhappy with the spa. That afternoon it was way over crowded and the people in there were rude. They were talking. A group of women had taken over the Women's side and moved all of the lounge chairs right in front of the windows. It was bad. There were a lot of unhappy people. In the co-ed side there was a group party going on in the hot tub.

Friday: I should of stayed on the boat. Ketchican was disapointing. It was a neat town, but not much to see or do. I wouold of rather skipped this and gone to Victoria. We had our awards banquet with dinner to follow at Cagneys. it was great.

Saturday: Weather was very foggy all day. I just stayed in the room and watched TV and read my books. There was not a lot on board I cared for. I didn't care. I got to read my book and watch movies. That was the best part of the trip for me.

Overall. I loved the tirp. I thought NCL and Alaska was great. The staff waqs top notch. Everybody was so friendly

Sunday: Leaving the boat went smooth. I had set the suitcases outside Saturday night and we picked them up Sunday morning on our way off the boat. This is where the problems began. Gray Lines had been told to pick us up at 8:30. Well they got there about 10.00. We had to be at the airport by 10:30 to be sure we would make our flight. Not to mention we were staning outside for 2 hours. then the bus driver went to the wrong place to let us out the first time. Then when we got to the second place he took us we had to pull our luggage up a very steep hill and we were in a hurry.

I personally find that "Sea Bands" work best. They look like little terrycloth wrist bands. They have a "button" that goes over a pressure point. They do make you feel better. I took min off for a little while and immediately started to feel ill again. So I put them back on and felt better. I tried bonine but it did make me feel sleepy-although it says it's milder than dramamine.. I have heard the patches also work, but I'm not personally experienced with them. Also some of the meds increase the effects of alcohol, so if you want to be able to have a few drinks--my suggestion is "sea bands".:D

Archived