Veendam Western Carrib. excursions questions

Sirdar

Rather than post this question to the various port boards, I'm hoping that experienced HAL fans can weigh in. We are sailng on Veendam in January with stops in Belize, Costa Maya, and San Tomas de Castillo. Has anyone done this route?

Specifically I can't determine from what I've read here and on the HAL site what excurions to book. All 3 destinations seem alike.

Questions:

Where is the best beach day/local town shopping?

Where best to view Mayan Ruins?

General suggestions for this itinerary?

Many Thanks

We're off on the Veendam on this itinerary on 1st Nov (plus an extra port - Roatan) - I can give you some suggestions when we get back. But, here's what we're doing so far;

* Belize - snorkelling trip to reef (I also like to go to the Baboon Sanctuary at Bermudian Landing but probably won't have time, the ruins here sound good esp. Lamanai you get there by boat up the river, so perhaps some chance to spot wildlife)

* Santo Thomas - going to Tikal (some of the best ruins in Central America - up there with Palenque and Copan - you can go to Copan with HAL from this port as well). Tikal and Copan are expensive tours though and the time at the sites will be limited.

* Costa Maya - haven't decided yet, a good port for the beach, but will probably go to the ruins at Chacchoben (busy) or Konhunlich (quieter) - typical of Yucatan. Apparently the ruins at Dzibanche and Kinichna (famous for stucco masks) are similar to Tikal.

Hope this helps.DZIBANCHE & KINICHNA DZIBANCHE & KINICHNA

We're off on the Veendam on this itinerary on 1st Nov (plus an extra port - Roatan) - I can give you some suggestions when we get back. But, here's what we're doing so far;

* Belize - snorkelling trip to reef (I also like to go to the Baboon Sanctuary at Bermudian Landing but probably won't have time, the ruins here sound good esp. Lamanai you get there by boat up the river, so perhaps some chance to spot wildlife)

* Santo Thomas - going to Tikal (some of the best ruins in Central America - up there with Palenque and Copan - you can go to Copan with HAL from this port as well). Tikal and Copan are expensive tours though and the time at the sites will be limited.

* Costa Maya - haven't decided yet, a good port for the beach, but will probably go to the ruins at Chacchoben (busy) or Konhunlich (quieter) - typical of Yucatan. Apparently the ruins at Dzibanche and Kinichna (famous for stucco masks) are similar to Tikal.

Hope this helps.DZIBANCHE & KINICHNA DZIBANCHE & KINICHNA

Thanks. Please post your observations when you return!

Archived