Sheraton Yankee Clipper Review-FLL

LuckiStac13*Majesty*

Just returned from our Enchantment of the Seas cruise leaving out of Port Everglades. We got the Sheraton Yankee Clipper from Priceline for about $80 so I thought I'd share my experience here.

We are from Cleveland, so we flew from Clevelan Hopkins direct to FLL a day prior. Stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper and were very pleased with the hotel. I had read a lot of negative reviews prior, but knew not to take them too seriously, and I was right. We are used to staying at Hyatt's, Intercontinentals, etc. It's a very decent hotel with two buildings, the main building and then one across the street that sits directly on the beach. We asked for the beach building and were appointed a very nice room with two double beds, not ocean view though, although from our window (no balconies here), we could see the ocean. The room was very clean and the service was excellent. The hotel staff was very nice, helpful, and eager to please. It's super easy to get across to the beach going through the main building of the hotel. They are doing some minor construction and we had to walk through sort of an outside maze to get to the beach building, but it only took a second and was no trouble at all. Once in our room, we went to the SanBar Grill to get a bite to eat. This is a small open air restaurant/bar right on the beach that serves hamburgers (no fries), hot dogs, etc. The menu was very small and average in price. After lunch, we laid on the beach, but the water was too rough (and filled with seaweed) to swim in, so we went back to the room for a nap.

We did not use either pool as they were both very small and crowded, and this leads me to the only negative aspect of this hotel. We like to go swimming at night, and when we went to do so, it had been shut down, no lights on. We tried both pools, but both were closed by 8:00 p.m. We were very disappointed and wonder why certain hotels close down their bar/pools so early.

After our nap, we took a cab over to Las Olas/Ocean Blvd. It was very close...maybe a 5 minute ride. Once there, we walked a bit and ate dinner at the Seafood & Crab house right on Ocean Blvd and it was very good. Ft. Lauderdale is a very pretty area and although I am used to Miami and like it, Ft. Lauderdale feels a step above to me, as there is more to see and do.

Up in the morning early, took a walk on the beach, and just grabbed some bagels and juice from the "Deli/Store" down in the hotel lobby, and got ready to go over to the ship. We went down early and the Gentleman who came to get our luggage called us a cab. We needed a van, so they arranged that and we paid $6 a person to get to the port which I feel was a bit high. We left around 10 a.m., stopped a walgreens around the corner for some things, and arrived at the port around 10:20.

If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask!

Just returned from our Enchantment of the Seas cruise leaving out of Port Everglades. We got the Sheraton Yankee Clipper from Priceline for about $80 so I thought I'd share my experience here.

We are from Cleveland, so we flew from Clevelan Hopkins direct to FLL a day prior. Stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper and were very pleased with the hotel. I had read a lot of negative reviews prior, but knew not to take them too seriously, and I was right. We are used to staying at Hyatt's, Intercontinentals, etc. It's a very decent hotel with two buildings, the main building and then one across the street that sits directly on the beach. We asked for the beach building and were appointed a very nice room with two double beds, not ocean view though, although from our window (no balconies here), we could see the ocean. The room was very clean and the service was excellent. The hotel staff was very nice, helpful, and eager to please. It's super easy to get across to the beach going through the main building of the hotel. They are doing some minor construction and we had to walk through sort of an outside maze to get to the beach building, but it only took a second and was no trouble at all. Once in our room, we went to the SanBar Grill to get a bite to eat. This is a small open air restaurant/bar right on the beach that serves hamburgers (no fries), hot dogs, etc. The menu was very small and average in price. After lunch, we laid on the beach, but the water was too rough (and filled with seaweed) to swim in, so we went back to the room for a nap.

We did not use either pool as they were both very small and crowded, and this leads me to the only negative aspect of this hotel. We like to go swimming at night, and when we went to do so, it had been shut down, no lights on. We tried both pools, but both were closed by 8:00 p.m. We were very disappointed and wonder why certain hotels close down their bar/pools so early.

After our nap, we took a cab over to Las Olas/Ocean Blvd. It was very close...maybe a 5 minute ride. Once there, we walked a bit and ate dinner at the Seafood & Crab house right on Ocean Blvd and it was very good. Ft. Lauderdale is a very pretty area and although I am used to Miami and like it, Ft. Lauderdale feels a step above to me, as there is more to see and do.

Up in the morning early, took a walk on the beach, and just grabbed some bagels and juice from the "Deli/Store" down in the hotel lobby, and got ready to go over to the ship. We went down early and the Gentleman who came to get our luggage called us a cab. We needed a van, so they arranged that and we paid $6 a person to get to the port which I feel was a bit high. We left around 10 a.m., stopped a walgreens around the corner for some things, and arrived at the port around 10:20.

If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask!

$6.00 a person was too high? Maybe it was you had him/her stop at Walgreens.

$6.00 a person was too high? Maybe it was you had him/her stop at Walgreens.

No...the $6 was quoted to us before we got into the van. From my experiences in FL, usually they just do the meter--which would have been less than what we paid. It was literally a 2 minute ride. But that's okay, we needed a van, so it wasn't a big deal.

• 10 months later...
Is this hotel now the Westin? Thanks

NO, the former Sheraton Yankee TRADER was gutted and completely rebuilt into the Westin.

The Sheraton Yankee Clipper is now closed and undergoing renovation. It will reopen in late January as the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

Archived