How to get to Galveston - March 2009

RI cruiser

I have gone on a couple of cruises already, but all of them have been out of Florida. Next year, me and 5 friends are flying out of Boston and heading to Galveston. I am nervous about the devastation of the port, and hope we'll still be disembarking from Galveston. Do you think it will be up and running in time? Also, what is the most economical way to get 6 people from the Houston airport to the boat? Is Houston the best airport to fly into? We called the cruiseline transportation but they said it was going to be about $80/person(can't remember the exact price). Any advice will be welcomed.:confused:

For all the families in Galveston, we're praying for you

I have gone on a couple of cruises already, but all of them have been out of Florida. Next year, me and 5 friends are flying out of Boston and heading to Galveston. I am nervous about the devastation of the port, and hope we'll still be disembarking from Galveston. Do you think it will be up and running in time? Also, what is the most economical way to get 6 people from the Houston airport to the boat? Is Houston the best airport to fly into? We called the cruiseline transportation but they said it was going to be about $80/person(can't remember the exact price). Any advice will be welcomed.:confused:

For all the families in Galveston, we're praying for you

You are probably better off posting this on the Port of Call board for Galveston - you will probably get more answers.

I feel confident that the port of Galveston will be up and running by the time you cruise.

In response to your transportation question - I know that there is independent transportation you can book to take you to and from the airport. Again, post the question on the port of call board and do some searching/browsing there too.

Happy Sailing

The Port Of Galveston opens tomorrow. Cruise ships (Carnival and RCI) will be back within the next 4-6 weeks.....Carnival is curretnly using the new Houston Cruise Port and Voyager arrives in early December. BOTH will be using Galveston.

Despite the destruction and ruin, Galveston is already being to spring back! The two terminals will be ready, Carnival first, becuase they are already in town and RCI by the end of November. Worry Not!!!!

How to get there! There are two airports. Bush International and Hobby.

Bush is about a 90 minute ride while Hobby is about a 45 mintues ride. Hobby is served primarily by SOUTHWEST AIRLINES. It would require connections, but they will offer the lowest fares and the easiest transfers to the ship.

We drive to the port but for years have heard nothing but good things about Galveston Limo. Reasonable prices, not big buses, so you do not wait around to fill a bus with 42 people in order to leave. But they use large vans which means your group might even fill one!

Welcome to Texas! If you are planning on coming in a day early, there are some wonderful hotels on the islands that will be up and running within the next few weeks....

Re: Airports

There are 2 airports you can use.

Houston Hobby (HOU) is about 45 minutes to an hour away from Galveston. It's served by Southwest, Jet Blue, Airtran, Delta, and I believe American.

George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) is about 1.5 to 2 hours away from Galveston. It is a Continental hub and served by most of the major carriers.

If you can get decent flights into Hobby that would be your best option, but you may have more flight choices into IAH depending on what airlines serve your home airport.

Re: Airports

There are 2 airports you can use.

Houston Hobby (HOU) is about 45 minutes to an hour away from Galveston. It's served by Southwest, Jet Blue, Airtran, Delta, and I believe American.

George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) is about 1.5 to 2 hours away from Galveston. It is a Continental hub and served by most of the major carriers.

If you can get decent flights into Hobby that would be your best option, but you may have more flight choices into IAH depending on what airlines serve your home airport.

I know the poster said they were flying out of Boston...but I would see if Southwest has any good fares for PVD-HOU.

Just for clarification....

Bush International symbol is IAH

Hobby symbol is HOU

So if you search on-line you will only find IAH.

If you search for Southwest, you must go to their web site to find them.

One of the reasons their costs are lower is that they do not (as of right now) participate in other Computer Reservation Systems (booking fees are avoided this way).

Good luck, you sure have picked a beautiful ship!!!

I know the poster said they were flying out of Boston...but I would see if Southwest has any good fares for PVD-HOU.

Particularly with a board name like "RI Cruiser!"

I lived in Boston for about 25 years and my parents are now in northeastern RI -- PVD over Logan is the way to go, when possible. Also Manchester, NH (MHT, I think), which is not quite as large or modern as Providence TF Green, but is Southwest's other "Boston" airport. About a 2h drive from Providence.

We flew Providence to Hobby and used Galveston Limo for transport to and from the port, Gal Limo is not really a limousine service , but rather a shuttle service( small buses and vans) which was courteous, reliable and affordable. They have a website...Galvestonlimo dot com and phone number included there.... very easy to book. Have a great cruise!

When we were researching flights, Boston was about $200 cheaper than PVD, and BDL. (Half of our party is from CT) So that is why we picked Boston. I'm gonna look into Galveston Limo!! Thanks for all the advice

We did IAH-BOS over the Summer and it was a lot less expensive as well. We went Continental and were on a non-stop flight. I would choose NS flights if possible so you can avoid getting stuck between cities.

Dad spent about half the Summer at the beach house and had to come back to Houston and go to Canada a few times...some of the time he would go to BOS for quicker overall travel time and less hassle. He actually came thru Houston when on the way to and from Calgary one trip. It was supposedly the quickest connection from PVD...:eek:

If you fly in a day ahead, grab a rental car, granted the traffic is a bit heavier here than RI...but the car will come in handy if you have some time to see Galveston or the NASA area. By March you should see a lot of rebuilding progress. Turn in the car and cruise. With 6 folks that may work out less expensive anyhow.

Of course if you have lots of time on your hand, take 95 South, hook a right on IH10 and a left on IH45 until you get to Harborside Drive over the causeway and follow the road to the ship. :D Ok that would be the senic route... My parents do the drive in 2 days often, but on each end they are at their own homes.

Archived