Pride of America 9/20/2008

M&D

Just returned from a wonderful week aboard the PoA with my partner, sister, her partner, and 4 octogenarians--a grand total of 8 with cabins on the 9th, 10th and 11th floors.

I was somewhat apprehensive about the cruise with all the negative reviews I had read regarding the food and service but was totally surprised at the superior level of customer service and food quality. Of the 14 cruises I have been on from Carnival to Cunard, this was without doubt the friendliest crew I have ever had. From the wait staff (Hi Luis) to the bartenders (Hi Parker and Martha) to the front desk, (Hi Britany) I have never been drawn into so many conversations. What a treat! Their level of service was superior to any I have received on NCL or any other cruise line.

The food at the buffet was wonderful as well as the Skyline restaurant. Yes, the Aloha Cafe was busy in the mornings but not unmanageable and as we had rooms on the same floor as the Aloha, we just simply took our plates back and enjoyed breakfast on our balcony. Just past the Aloha Cafe is the Goldrush Saloon and there were always tons of seats available for breakfast there if the Aloha was busy.

Our waiter at the Skyline was Luis (from Puerto Rico) and another Luis (from Arizona) and both made serving 8 for dinner look easy. They were friendly, efficient, matched and often exceeded the service I have received on any other cruise. Dinner was usually completed in about an hour at a very relaxed pace.

Our room steward always had our rooms cleaned in the morning and turned down in the evening, with towel animals almost every night. The room is tiny but the storage space was sufficent for 2 adults. Putting 3 adults in the room would probably be a little tight but if everyone was patient with each other, it could be done.

Parker in the Waikiki Bar and Martha were wonderful, offering me a wine bucket to keep my Foster's nice and cold. Chilled towels were brought around every hour or so by the pool, something I have never seen on another cruise line.

We were probably a little more sedate than many of the cruisers as half of our group was over 80 years old. We tried to pick tours that were less stressful and easier on those who move a little slower. We did the Circle of Fire helicopter ride in Hilo--amazing, the Hollywood in Hawaii and Falls in Kauai--a great way to see some of the most beautiful scenry in Kauai and if you are a movie buff, I highly recommend this tour! Agatha was just incredible! In Maui we did the Maui Plantation and Iao Valley tour which was very nice. We spent a few days prior to the cruise and saw Pearl Harbor as well as Germaine's Luau which was wonderful. A couple of the group did the glass bottom boat and seahorse excursion in Kona and loved it, though they were a little green after the glass bottom boat ride due to the waves.

I know there continues to be some criticism of the PoA, but quite frankly I don't get it. I know each persons opinion is subjective and what one person sees as a horrible cruise (is there such a thing?) another sees it as the best they have ever been on. As for me and IMHO, this was one of the best I have been on from the itinerary to the staff, there just wasn't anything that could have been better. The cruise experience is different as it is very port-oriented but this is by far the best and most economical way to see so much that Hawaii has to offer in such a short time.

If you are booked on this cruise, relax and have a great time! Don't be turned off or nervous about the negative reviews....our entire group of 8 had a wonderful time. 2 big thumbs up from me! :D

M&D

I'm really glad you had a great time!

Luis from AZ flew to training with me way back on Sept 25th 2006 and we both flew to the America tomorrow so I'm glad to hear he is still doing a good job. I'm going to text him and say he got a shout out on cruise critic. I'm sure it will make his day.

Britney called me last night and said she really enjoyed talking to you. Thanks for stopping over to say hello to her, some interaction from the outside world does the crew good sometimes ;)

Glad you had a great time!

James

Hey James,

Thanks for the note. Please let the folks you know that I mentioned, that I fully intend to put this in letter form for NCL as well. I know how important good feedback is, if nothing else than for a pat on the back. They were all truly wonderful. And it certainly looks like you had a great b'day cruise last week. I'm following your post on youtube. :)

Great review!

We were on the 09/06 sailing and i agree with you 100%. The staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and we loved the Waikiki Bar, all the boys there were great :)

M&D

Thanks for the GREAT review of your cruise. I just booked POA for our 34th wedding anniversary and I cannot wait.

I work at a resort and it's great to hear great reviews of the staff to make your vacation fabulous and your following it up with a letter to NCL. It looks like POA/NCL was some great employees. :).

Minybear

Attitude...Attitude...in spite of a year's reading of all the negatives, I was intent on seeing Hawaii and not expect perfection. What a pleasant surprise.. ditto,ditto...being greeted with friendly faces holding champagne, immediate dinner reservation at a specialty restaurant for half price the first night. Cabin 9632 impeccably clean (even the floors in the bathroom) small but functional,lots of suitcases under bed.Lovely decor and the most comfortable bed with a double "eggcrate "mattress and at first, only one robe in closet (didn't care) but a second one appeared that night (attentive steward,never saw him but left sticky notes for a broken balcony chair and was promptly replaced) Yes, one of the friendliest crews we have encountered and also all the passengers,too !! We made friends all over the ship and on all five tours taken through NCL.Yes,I heard good things about Roberts, but every tour we took was exceptional through Polynesian Adventure Tours (NCL's own). If we paid a bit more, it was well worth it and that was the opinion of others,too. The only tour I might re-consider would be "the Road to Hana", even though I had researched all the reviews. DH had to be left at the restaurant stop along with another "sensitive stomach" for three hours as our tour driver "Kaui" from Maui ( great driver) gave us the full tour up to Lindberg's grave...which by then most of us had enough of the roller coaster ride. Gorgeous scenery, but don't know how others can drive that road on their own and know and appreciate all the history and scenic spots without taking their eyes off the narrow winding road..saw lots of white knuckled drivers as we passed them in the shuttle.

The entire cruise from start to finish was wonderful (yes, the Aloha Buffet gets busy in the mornings as everyone is rushing to get to their excursions), we ate at Jefferson's Bistro twice, Cadillac Diner, the Liberty and Skyline dining rooms. Two lobster nights, Monday and Friday. If you get on the ship early they give you restaurant tours and samples of food from each one. Take advantage of the Anniversary Package for $79 (unless they increase it) the best deal going. A bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in the cabin on arrival, the "Bistro" dining one night with wine, cake,photo, and canapes in your cabin the last night. We enjoyed the entertainment every night,too. At first, I was beginning to think our port side cabin was a mistake.. until the last day sailing past the breathtaking Napali Coastline.. it was worth it all. It seemed like NCL tried hard on this one. The entire cruise for us will always be memorable and we wish all you future cruisers the same experience. Enjoy Paradise!

The port side view isn't the most gorgeous while in port, but the Napali Coast cruise by makes it all worthwhile. The lava view is on the starboard side, but doesn't last a long time so IMHO, port side wins.

The tours we did were all from the boat, and yes we could have saved a few bucks doing it on our own, but ushering around a group of 80 year old's was enough of a challenge. It was worth the extra bucks to have all the transportation taken care of.

Hi there

Here's our rev

Just returned from our honeymoon cruise.

Great food, great service, great time, great wife!

Nice ship!

Our balcony was phat! Had 180 degree view of the stern and the bow

Lots of Seniors on board- probably accounts for some of the reviews.

Flew from Philly to West Coast Thursday- spent night, did Alcatraz tour and walked around San Francisco. Nice city.

Took Hawaiian Air from SFO to Honolulu Friday morning

arrived at 11AM. Took Waikiki Express bus $9.00 pp to Marriot Waikiki-nice hotel- great beds!

I recommend Island Express- vans and make fewer stops.

Checked in with NCL at the Marriot- ID pics, got room keys to hotel, gave our dinner reservations here, they e-mailed the ship from the hotel, and the reservations were confirmed once we boarded.

Saturday- took 6:45 AM shuttle to Pearl-booked through Marriot- $10.00 pp to Pearl and drop off at ship. Did USS Arizona and USS Missouri.

The Pearl harbor film they show is a tear jerker. Bring tissues!

The Missouri was cool; no wait; they charge admission.

Left Pearl at 11:30- SHUTTLE WILL picks you up at anytime and we arrived at the ship by Noon. Easy on and we had lunch in Skyline-excellent lunch.

Our room was ready by 1:30PM. They announce by deck.

Our room was nice- great balcony, lots of storage, perfect for two people,

the bathroom mirror opens to store items. Bathroom was fine; Room was very clean, and yes we had a coffee pot.

Our Stewart Harold was from Guam, and did an excellent job.

Food: All good

Jeff Bistro- gourmet French, great soup,

Steakhouse- very good, lots of food, from appetizers to main course-come hungry

East Meets West- Excellent-ate in the Tappanyaki part-like Bennihana

had a nice time

Little Italy- Great lasagna-gigantic- filling food, breadsticks,

Liberty- Tuesday Lobster- lot of people wore suits- me, polo shirt and slacks- Anthony from Alabama was our server; had a bottle of wine, and sat at the window at the stern of the ship; service was good, once you get your appetizer, the food comes fast. We had mainly at 8PM since we did not care about the entertainment- we were there to conquer Hawaii.

Peak time is 5-7:30PM.

Breakfast- Aloha buffet- very nice- had smoked salmon most days- plenty of choices- ate in Skyline one morning- nice selection- no wait.

Cadillac Diner- Breakfast- fast and good

South Seas Bar- had snacks each afternoon when we returned to the ship- burgers, fries etc.

People that complained about the food should have their heads examined-it rocks!

Islands:

Maui- rented convertible- drove to top of volcano- scary drive but fun.

Spent night off ship the Hyatt in Kannapali Beach- great hotel.

Did Royal Lahaina Laua- booked by mistake wanted Old Lahiana Laua

I would not recommend Royal Lahiana Laua.

Also drove to Lahiana Monday- Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant-beers and burgers at 9AM- Actually I had a bloody Mary.

Hilo- rented car did Rainbow Falls, boiling pot, and Pe Pee Falls- Get THE REVEALED BOOKS ON HAWAII. Then drove to Ahalanui- It's an ocean fed pool-heated by the volcano to 95 degrees- we swam in this pond-real nice.

Ordered sandwiches on the POAM before we left, and kept in a small cooler. Had lunch on the rocks by the pool.

Drove to VNP- did crater rim drive- a must see- was cloudy but you actually look down into the craters from the observation points.

Sailed by bottom of active Flow Tuesday night- saw lava around 10PM from starboard side only- weather delayed us the Captain did not want to make the 360 turn they normally do here.

Kona- did Fairwinds II- took tender at 7:30- $20.00 for taxi to Fairwinds-

large catamaran- relaxing time

Wednesday night- longest cruise of voyage -235 miles to Kauai- left Kona at 6:15PM. Seas 4.5-7 ft that night- we had to be doing 20+ knots.

Boat moved that night-mainly up and down- not bad, but you could feel it.

Thursday- Kauai- rented car drove up East coast- saw the waterfalls and beaches- stunning beaches- scheduled Na Pali Catamarans afternoon cruise - high seas cancelled this- take AM cruise if you can-

drove back to ship, b t stopped at SCOTTY'S BEACHSIDE in Kapa'a for barbecue; nice ocean and beach view.

Friday- paid $10.00 left car overnight at pier; drove West Coast to Waimea Canyon-Beautiful drive with our convertible top down. Drove to canyon and hiked 1 mile (at the the end of the road that continues past the canyon) to see the Na Pali Coast. It was a 20 minute walk one way.

back to the ship by 1:00PM

entertainment- Mark in Lania Bar Deck 13 forward; good music- Chris the bartender plays drums, and Robert the waiter played harmonica, (but he just was sent another bar after our cruise.) What a blast!

Comedian and the duck- actually a puppet- I thought he was real funny. we did not see any other shows- the time change put us in bed by 9PM just about every night,

Sea- Slight mostly- 1.5-4ft- nothing for a large ship-

Ship- Very nice- Previous review complaining about the colors are really off base.

Ask me any questions you have- we had a nice time, and no complaints.

I am happy to help you with your cruise.

Mahalo

Joe and Mickey

Pride of America May 2006

Destiny March 2005

monobrow1

View Public Profile

Find all posts by monobrow1

Add monobrow1 to Your Buddy List

Sponsored Links

May 25th, 2006, 06:56 PM

ieew from 2006

Very enjoyable cruise.As the previous poster had state went expecting some bad the the bad things were very minor.

Went 2 days pre cruise and also stayed at the Waikiki Marriott.Very nice hotel but can be a just a tad pricey on their buffets and meals. Overall would recommend.

Ship is beautiful and clean. Crew very friendly.The only problem i had was getting a decent margarita at the bars. Ask for a hand made ingredient one instead of their pre mix.

Cabin steward was awesome never once had to ask for ice or extra towels, room was always cleaned. Sad that we didn't get to met him till the last day.

Food was good not always great but hell they're trying to feed 2100 passengers on our sailing. We didn't sail with a full ship.Ate at Lazy J's one night and their crabmeat stuffed portabellas were real good.

Lobster night is Monday and Friday.I really enjoyed the baby shrimp salad and got them to put a little cocktail sauce on each time i ordered it.Try the crab hot and sour soup on Friday night really enjoyed this too.

DON'T BOOK THE ROAD TO HANNA TOUR for $120 it is a rip off.You drive up the road and back down with maybe 3 15minute stops during the tour. You do stop for a lunch which mostly consisted of a choice of hamburger.

The rest of the tours gave us what we wanted and were glad we booked them thought NCL. One of our group was an 1 1/2 hour late getting back with a bus load of passengers and the ship waited till they got back. The ship sailed almost 2 hours later then it was supposed to.

One thing ALL cruise lines should offer is the fly away plan NCL offers it's worth every penny. You sign up for it i think it's $25 per person,they print your boarding pass and flight tags. You put the tags on your luggage put it outside your cabin Saturday night and you don't see or handle it till your final destination.Now if they could only offer a cabin steward to come along and upack it all.:)PS THEY ALSO ADD YOUR LUGGAGE FEE FOR THE AIRLINE HERE ALSO ON YOUR SAIL AND SIGN CARD.

Have done 1 Commodre cruise line cruise and 7 Carnival cruise and have to say they are all the same as far as service with maybe CCL getting a nod up on dining services and quality of food. Not much mind you just a nod.

They each offer something different but we cruise for the destinations more then the crew and the ship.Would do NCL again in a heart beat and would recommend them to anyone.Great cruise NCL hope you keep the POA there as we just might be looking into her in another 4 years.

Archived