Help Motion/Seasickness: What works,

HELP....I am at a dilemma. Leaving on my first cruise in 3 days on Mariner. I have a history of motion sickness so I am preparing to use something. My question is what works best. Patch, Bonine, bracelets? What are the side effects? I don't want to feel like a zombie. Can you drink alchol if you use them, I would like to be able to have a drink or 2. Can you take tylenol or any other over the counter medicines with this if needed. Please share your exerience.

Thanks,

Renee

4/18/04 Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;04;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

11/20/04 Thanksgiving on Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I have taken bonine, used the patch, and the bracelets, at different times of course. I prefer the bonine. You take it once a day and I never feel any side effects. With the patch I had a terrible dryness of the mouth, and when I took it off after my cruise suffered dizziness. I do believe the bracelets also work and know people who use them instead of the bonine.

Personally, I am not a fan of the patch b/c I have read about to many people have side effects from the patch (e.g., feeling drugged, vision problems, etc.). However, the good news is that the symptoms usually disipate quickly once the patch is removed. With medication, you have to run the course.

The patch also requires a prescription, but many people swear by them. I prefer Bonine or Meclazine (generic) as it is nondrowsy. Unfortunately, you have to take it a day or two before to ensure full protection as you don't want to wait until you're onboard. However, now a days, most captain's will tell you if rough weather lies ahead, usually 8 to 12 hours in advance, which is enough time if you decide to wait. You could also try ginger, pressure bands (Sea Bands), and the like.

If you do opt for the medication, take it at night just incase you feel drowsy. Also, talk to your pharmacist or primary care doctor to ensure you use the method that is best for you and any medical condition and/or prescriptions you might be taking.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

MONARCH OF THE SEAS (04/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;16;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

I have a very long history of motion sickness--riding anything I'm not driving makes me dizzy. My first cruise I was ready with bonine ( always my 1st choice ), but the ocean was so smooth I didn't need to take it once. Two years ago I ended up taking 2 bonine per day with NO results. Our cabin was forward and on an upper level of the ship. After 3 days my DH went to the Medical Staff to ask for advise. Here it is: Go to an open deck, face forward, and focus on the horizon! Worked like a charm! I sat out there with 14 foot seas watching people stagger across the deck & I was fine. So get the bonine, and if it gets really bad, get in the air & watch the horizon. Good luck.

Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

an_run_on_by.gif

My wife is very prone to motion sickness, her Dr. told her to take meclazine 3times a day they come in 25mg.tablets.she starts taking them the day before we leave and takes them for the entire cruise she has never had any side effects and was able to have several cocktails a day with no problems. good luck and have a great cruise

Voyager of the Sea's

June 13,2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;13;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Seranade of the Seas 9/03

Sovereign of the Seas 2/03

Sovereign of the Seas 4/02

I also have a long history of motion sickness, ever since I was a child in the back seat of a car.

Cruising almost never effects me unless there is a lot of motion and then I usually get drowsy and headachey. The Sea Bands work perfectly for me...I have never needed to take anything more. I like that they aren't a drug and since I tend to get sleepy when motion sick (probably the results of coping for years by sleeping in the back seat of the car during long family vacations) what I don't need is something that is going to make me even more drowsy.

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

have tried bonine and dramamine - both make me soooooo very tired. Then, went to AAA and got the sea bands for like $6 - work like a charm. So, I wear them, look a little silly with these gray bands around my wrists, but at least I am not sleeping my vacation away!

Good luck!

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)

7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)

10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

I recommend Meclizine (generic for Bonine and much cheaper) and Ginger capsules.

We start taking the Ginger the day before our cruise and continue (if we feel we need it), one every morning and one at night, throughout the week. We take one Meclizine the first morning of our cruise (embarkation day). This helps with that "weird" feeling you will have after the first sailaway. We usually don't need it again unless the seas are really rough. My husband has to take it more than me. The key is to take it before you feel sick!

I suggest that you test both the Ginger and Meclizine prior to cruising. Choose a day when you don't plan on doing much (especially driving). Meclizine (Bonine) is not suppose to make you sleepy, but I believe it can.

Some people take just a half tablet of Mec/Bonine to be sure that it doesn't make them sleepy. I may try that next cruise.

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

bonin. i needed it for cruise feb29 on mariner. 1st time i had ever been sea sick. they will give it to you, so dont buy any. they give you packets with 4 pills in it and take 1 pill a day. I only needed 2 pills then seas got less rough.

Tori

Monarch Nov02

Sovereign May03

Mariner Feb04

Nordic Empress Feb05

DW gets VERY motion sick. She used the patch and did experience some sleepiness and an irritation in the patch area. To ensure a positive experience, she also used ginger capsule and thinks that did MORE than the patch.

Her only bad experience was a day with a sea chop. The white caps on the water were beautiful and I pointed it out to her. When she looked out she noticed the motion for the first time and became extremely uncomfortable. This event occured in the evening of the third day of the patch and could have been an influence in her experience. Two ginger capsules and she returned to dinner and was fine.

My recomendations are:

Choose a medical and a non-medical treatement.

(ie. Bonine and a sea-band)

Avoid looking port or starboard. Balcony cabins may not be your best choice.

They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Navigator Of The Seas 1/04

Archived