Credit Card

RAY-AL

Is it necessary to use a credit card to rent a scooter or car in Cozumel, Mexico or can you just use cash???? We are going on the Glory on 11/1/08 and our first stop is Cozumel.
Everything I've read in guidebooks and other sites (not sure if I've seen it here) says that it's not really safe to rent a vehicle in Mexico. There are different driving and insurance laws there that others may be able to better comment on...but I have read that the vehicles you would be able to rent are not safe and not worth having.

What are you trying to get to?

wE JUST WANTED TO RIDE AROUND THE ISLAND. THERE ARE 6 OF US, THREE MEN AND WIFES. THIS WAY WE COULD STOP WHENEVER WE WANTED. ALL THE GUYS HAVE RIDDEN MOTORCYCLES BEFORE, SO I THINK WE WILL BE OK. I JUST DIDN'T KNOW IF WE HAD TO HAVE A CREDIT CARD OR IF CASH WOULD DO.

ONLY 4 WEEKS TILL WE SAIL.

There was a thread that got nasty and pulled, but someone on the Conquest with me rented a car, which got hit while she was getting gas or something, might have been a set up. Its a crime in cozumel to be in a accident and they take you to the jail and they made her pay up in cash I think it was $600, for very very minor damage, for the fine and all, when she knew she didnt even cause the accident.

Be very careful renting a car in Cozumel, the cops arent honest. Bring LOTS of cash and take 0 deductible from the rental place.

PS if we had not spent an extra night in Cozumel because of Ike, her husband wouldnt have made it back to the ship in time for departure, so bring your passports too.

Archived