What "rookie" mistakes did you learn from?

Catrin

The first time I cruised I didn't know how to go about booking it. I just opened the phone book and called the first TA's number I seen and told them I didn.t know what I was doing. I ended up paying 1,200 for an OV on a 4 nighter to the Bahamas.

Not getting room service.
Not knowing about shore excursions.

[quote name='mamasue']Not realising room service and sushi were free.....
missed out on a whole lot of good stuff!!
And... going to the art auction, thinking there was actually ART there!!![/quote]

The Art Auction was my biggest (and most expensive) mistake as a Cruise rookie. I think I still have that Thomas Kincade artwork in the tube that was mailed to me. I didn't realize it would cost me a cruise to get it framed :eek: !

Since then, I have been able to go on three cruises without spending a dime on the S & S card :D !

[quote=Can'tWait2SetSail;16515870]Thanks everyone! :) I see the thread is gone. Anyone know why?[/quote]

Can'twait.... somebody apparently got really nasty....it was pulled early this morning, I think.
Good thing you didn't see it.... you've had enough **** lately!!!

[quote name='djacobson']The Art Auction was my biggest (and most expensive) mistake as a Cruise rookie. I think I still have that Thomas Kincade artwork in the tube that was mailed to me. I didn't realize it would cost me a cruise to get it framed :eek: !

Since then, I have been able to go on three cruises without spending a dime on the S & S card :D ![/quote]

I did the art auction, too. Although I know pricing of framing since I do a lot of photography and needlework--their framing prices are VERY good. In fact, I think that the framing was the best deal I got overall. :)

My rookie mistake was going to (and buying from) TWO of the 3 auctions. But I truly love art in all forms so I don't regret it... just I bought too much.

I'm VERY thankful that a friend told me about CC months before my first cruise, so I learned from others' mistakes, and I knew the "Welcome Aboard" drink (or whatever it's called) would cost but I got it anyway. It was $6.50 plus tip. AND I STILL WISH I KNEW WHAT THE NAME OF IT WAS--it was the best drink I had on the whole cruise!

It's been interesting reading this thread! I tried to think back to mistakes we made and I guess it would be that we thought we would only enjoy the short cruises and would get impatient to get off - NOT! :rolleyes:

Another mistake, for us anyway, was to cruise at Christmas on our second cruise. Just awful - crowded, millions (well, I know it's an exaggeration, but it sure felt like it) of kids running around, horrible cold, wet weather and super expensive. We had to buy sweat suits in the shop and laid out in the sun with blankets and we were just off the Bahamas!:eek: We still had a great time.

And, lastly, our biggest mistake was thinking we wouldn't like Carnival. Gosh, if we'd tried them first, we'd be Platinum soon!;)

Not packing "deck clothes" (bathing suit, t-shirt, sandals) in our carry on luggage. We didn't know our luggage wouldn't be at our room until dinner or later.

Not carrying on some "hidden" liquor. sssshhhhh. I didn't say that out loud. It's just that I really like Baileys and the ships don't have it. They pawn some other Irish cream liquor off as Baileys.

Going all in with an ace-high straight on the flop on the electronic hold'em table. Most players on the cruise are chasers so you can't bet them off a hand and the tables are set to play out BIG hands and a full house beat me on the river. Remember that the tables play BIG hands - flushes, full houses, four-of-a-kinds... haven't seen a straight flush yet, but it's bound to happen.

Booking an interior room (actually made this mistake for our upcoming cruise). How do you renew your balcony club membership when you don't have a balcony?

I did the art auction, too. Although I know pricing of framing since I do a lot of photography and needlework--their framing prices are VERY good. In fact, I think that the framing was the best deal I got overall. :)

My rookie mistake was going to (and buying from) TWO of the 3 auctions. But I truly love art in all forms so I don't regret it... just I bought too much.

I'm VERY thankful that a friend told me about CC months before my first cruise, so I learned from others' mistakes, and I knew the "Welcome Aboard" drink (or whatever it's called) would cost but I got it anyway. It was $6.50 plus tip. AND I STILL WISH I KNEW WHAT THE NAME OF IT WAS--it was the best drink I had on the whole cruise!

Debra- the name of that drink is "The Funship Special". It has amaretto, 151 rum, vodka, apricot brandy and juices. I've seen people drink three or four of these before the cruise and by sail away, they don't know what hit them.

Debra- the name of that drink is "The Funship Special". It has amaretto, 151 rum, vodka, apricot brandy and juices. I've seen people drink three or four of these before the cruise and by sail away, they don't know what hit them.

David,

So I could ask on any ship for a Funship Special and they'd make it for me? I really really liked it. I have heard stories like you mention above, but it didn't happen to ME. LOL (really it didn't... I just had one, but I loved it.)

Thanks so much for filling me in!!

going to the art auction, thinking there was actually ART there!!!

OK... I have never cruised on carnival before... there is no art at the auctions? I wouldnt go anyhow, but just curious... is it a game or something:confused:

I never learn when it comes to shoes. All my faves come with me. You just never know when you want that certain shoe. It's a foot mood thing. So what I learned is don't listen to the folks that say you just need 3 paris of shoes. It might work for guys, but not for me. My shoes throw themselves into the suitcase(s), they are so excited to go.

OK... I have never cruised on carnival before... there is no art at the auctions? I wouldnt go anyhow, but just curious... is it a game or something:confused:

Yes, there is art there... :)

I think this person might have meant that they didn't like the pieces offered for auction.

I OTOH loved the art, but I'm an art lover anyway. Go sometime and just browse through. If you like it, they offer free champagne even during the preview!

......trying to take so many photos..that I did not get to "enjoy the moment" I was taking.......

Mine is just the opposite.

I wish I had taken more photos (and not video) so I would have them to look at years later. I know now I probably "overdo it" (5K plus pics on our Aust/NZ/Fiji trip) but it is nice to have them in digital form to return and reminisce.

I just sailed for the first time on the Conquest 9-21 and here's a list of things I learned.

Don't overpack. Most days a swimsuit and cover for most of the day and clothes for dinner; maybe something for night life. Leave some of the shoes behind, ladies (it's so hard to decide! :p ) And most nights for dinner is "cruise casual", you don't need a lot of fancy dresses and jewelry!

Don't think you have to book a shore excursion in every port. In Jamaica we paid the $15 for the Hot Spots wristband and we were able to spend time on the beach, hung out at M'ville, went shopping and were quite satisfied! We still had a full day.

Don't start drinking too early. I repeat, DON'T START TOO EARLY.

If your CC group has a Meet & Mingle - GO! It was great fun.

Use SUNBLOCK!

Take the personal size cooler with some "water" bottles. Will save you a ton of $$$$$

My biggest mistake was being in awe of things so that I forgot to take pictures. I missed out on a lot!

1. Not bringing a large insulated mug to keep drinks from the Lido cold.

2. Not applying enough sunscreen, did not realize how easy you burn in the carribean.

3. Of course packing way too many clothes and shoes.

4. Thinking those tropical drinks in the pretty little glasses are free;) .

5. Not realizing you can arrive at the port early and board the ship by noon.:)

1. Drank their special drink of the day at Half Moon Cay BEFORE lunch and felt sick for the rest of the day due to dehydration. I walked around like a zombie!!! Alcohol + hot tropical weather = disaster!!! :eek: It was still fun and a lovely place, but I would've enjoyed it more!

2. Didn't take enough pictures.. :(

3. I spent the the day before departure worrying that we might miss our cruise because we were supposed to get to Miami on the morning of... We also sat around at the airport for an hour after arriving Miami as we thought it was too early to go to the terminal. We didn't get to tour Miami either as we decided we had too much with us after the cruise so we opted to switch to an earlier flight home.

Glad that my boyfriend found CC before we sailed! ;)

I had my daughter and granddaughter an anklet made from this "gold by the inch" and they have had and wore them for about 3 years and have not had any problems with them!!!I think its a wonderful deal and so do a lot of others or they wouldn't keep selling it.

I bought my husband a necklace made with this. Within a month of wearing all the time the gold was rubbing off. I took it to my jewelers and they said it wasn't even silver under the gold, just cheap metal, with a thin layer of gold over top. :mad: Do not waste your money. I did buy a black sapphire necklace in the Bahamas at a store recommended by Carnival and paid hundreds less than it was appraised at.:)

I bought my husband a necklace made with this. Within a month of wearing all the time the gold was rubbing off. I took it to my jewelers and they said it wasn't even silver under the gold, just cheap metal, with a thin layer of gold over top. :mad: Do not waste your money. I did buy a black sapphire necklace in the Bahamas at a store recommended by Carnival and paid hundreds less than it was appraised at.:)

I went to the shopping talks (this was our first cruise) and Eddie (the shopping guy) told us what to do. I got a ring from one of the stores. I showed it to him after a great shopping experience and told him where I lived (he asked). He said to me, "You'll get at least double from what you paid for this." I was thrilled.

I think that once you know what to do the talks aren't necessarily necessary, but I think a rookie would make a mistake in NOT going at least the first time.

Well, since my first cruise is coming up in November, I know some mistakes I will not be making. I am so glad I stopped by here first and started to read where other people messed up.

Having been in the Navy I knew about wanting to be amidships and mid level for out room. We did get an outside room, but no balcony.

I am sure both of us would have grabbed a “free” drink and then went “DOH!” when we had to pay. So that one won’t happen.

Over packing and dressing shouldn’t be a problem. We are driving down to Mobile the night before and sleeping in so we will be ready go Saturday morning.

Ummmmm, I need more memory for my camera and a way to charge my I-pod, I would rather not take my laptop with me.

Room service – noted. Look around fro all the food – got it. And oh yeah, RELAX!

You folks have been more than helpful!!!!

The only thing I don’t know is Platimun??

I am sure both of us would have grabbed a “free” drink and then went “DOH!” when we had to pay. So that one won’t happen.

The only thing I don’t know is Platimun??

Fargo...

DO take a drink of the day and have your card ready for them. To be quite honest, and in my very humble opinion, it was my favorite drink special of the WHOLE CRUISE. I can't wait for the next one. I just know it will be deducted from my account.

Platinum is when you have sailed 9 cruises... your TENTH cruise you are Platinum and get all sorts of VIP privileges.

Hope that helps!

The other thing I would advise is bringing some sort of "plug outlet". If you have things you're bringing that are electrical in nature, there is one plug by the desk/vanity and that's it. I love my "power squid" that has individual plugs (it looks like a squid) so no matter how big the plug is, they all can be used. Whatever you use, though, you want to remember one. :)

I think the biggest mistake I made on my first cruise was not carrying more cash. I read the Carnival site, the whole cashless thing and I bought what I thought I might spend in ports, I had never really traveled anywhere and never flown before either, I didn't quite know all the tipping stuff everywhere - porters, room service, etc.

2nd mistake was I over packed, this next one I will try to to better.

Archived