Mexican Riviera-Opinions Needed

emen822

The Mexican Riviera is a huge area. The water on the west side of the Baja peninsula is the open Pacific. It is colder, rougher and is often not as clear as you may have experienced in the Caribbean or Hawaii.

If you are well up into the Sea of Cortez on your trip, you may see very clear and very blue water around Loreto and La Paz or even on the mainland. Puerto Vallarta is not real clear, partially due to the river sediment, but if you go down to Mismaloya Beach it can be very clear and blue there.

a423.jpg

Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa also have some very clear and blue beach areas, as does areas around Acapulco (but rarely inside the bay itself).

It is a different experience in a different part of the world. Try not to compare it all the time or expect a Caribbean clone cruise, and enjoy the difference.

CJW First let me say thanks for all the work you put into your boards, I've been lurking around reading them. We will be coming to L.A July 09 for a cruise then 4 days post cruise. I have 2 boys ages 12 and 14. I looked into the Bestwestern and Sportsman Lodge Unfortunately those hotels are alittle out of my price range I need about $100.00 or so. We will have a car and would love to hang around Hollywood and Universal. If you have any ideas of hotels in our price range please let me know also a pool is a must for the boys. Thanks again I will be using your ideas for things to see. Elise

Los Angeles, Heated Pool, Safe and interesting for 12 to 14 year olds, and convenient for $100 is asking a lot!:p

But, if you what day your cruise ends (so I can figure out which are the 4 post cruise days) I can help you out.

Some hotels cater to business people so are more expensive during the week...

Other hotels cater to tourists, so are more expensive on the weekends...

You really want to be careful, as any old hotel that you find for $100 or less in Los Angeles could be really bad news.;)

I'll check back on this later.

PS You're welcome!:D

But, if you what day your cruise ends (so I can figure out which are the 4 post cruise days) I can help you out.

The cruise ends Sunday and we leave out of LAX Thursday morning. I was looking in Pasadena but I don't know if that is too far out of the way, It seems to have a couple of hotels in my price range (Ramadaand Best western). Any help would be apreciated. Thanks again

Pasadena is way out of the way for either the cruise terminal or LAX. Unless you plan on doing some specific sightseeing in the Pasadena area (such the Huntington Library or touring the Craftsmen houses in the area) I would not recommend staying there, even with your own rental car. There are less expensive places to stay in Long Beach or San Pedro or near LAX if you just need a place to sleep, or consider an area such as Torrance (just not at the beach). Avoid Inglewood or El Segundo in general though.

Hi CJW,

I thought my post got lost in the midst of other posts, i'm glad you found it though. I looked at Best western sunset plaza looks good they are asking 200 a night for my dates in May 8th to 10th, what do you think of the best western hollywood hills hotel (good location, safe, ect...) its a little bit cheaper, price will not determine the final decision though, also on the holiday inn I keep asking you about on the walk of fame when you say unsafe, do you mean too much traffic or unsafe people? I really appreciate all the time you have taken to answer all my questions.

The cruise ends Sunday and we leave out of LAX Thursday morning. I was looking in Pasadena but I don't know if that is too far out of the way, It seems to have a couple of hotels in my price range (Ramadaand Best western). Any help would be apreciated. Thanks again

If you are comfortable bidding on Priceline for a room, there have been reports of 3.5* hotels in the downtown - hollywood area gotten for under $100.00 Check out betterbidding.com for info.

As Curt says, if you get a really low price, it may be for a reason. Lots of unsafe areas (you can be at a nice area, such as Beverly Hills, and just a mile or two away be in an unsafe area). There are areas to avoid such as Downtown LA (the really nice hotels are very expensive as they cater to businesspeople who are expensing their stay while doing their business -- and aren't going to be playing tourist; and the other hotels are most likely dumps), El Segundo (an industrial area), LAX (unless you have an early flight...else you'll have to get transportation every time you want to eat or see the sights), places like Bell, Compton, East L.A., etc.

The best thing to do is start with what you want to do (attractions, etc.), to nail down an area to stay in. Then check out tripadvisor.com, and also the various hotel threads here.

Hi CJW,

I thought my post got lost in the midst of other posts, i'm glad you found it though. I looked at Best western sunset plaza looks good they are asking 200 a night for my dates in May 8th to 10th, what do you think of the best western hollywood hills hotel (good location, safe, ect...) its a little bit cheaper, price will not determine the final decision though, also on the holiday inn I keep asking you about on the walk of fame when you say unsafe, do you mean too much traffic or unsafe people? I really appreciate all the time you have taken to answer all my questions.

No problem with answering questions.:)

I'll say again that Best Western Sunset Plaza is really worth every penny.

Beautiful hotel. Completely safe area. It's right by Sunset Plaza, which is a very ritzy Beverly Hills type area - and I work late around here a lot for events. I often am last one to leave, and have to walk back to my car at 2 or 3 in the morning. I always feel 100% completely safe.

All up and down Sunset Blvd. there, is safe, active (Mel's Diner is open and active 24 hours a day) and full of upscale Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Celebrity people.

It's the area where the girls from The Hills, and Young Hollywood stars hang out. It's nice, hip, and safe.

Just so you know.;)

Best Western Hollywood Hills is really not worth saving $40. It's two clocks back into the old run down part of Hollywood. It's too far east and north.

Even though it's still in "Hollywood" it's not a nice part.

I would absolutely not walk around there after dark, unless I had a few of my tough guys with me.

And aesthetically, it's kinda gross around there.

The Hollywood Inn on Highland...

I have to run out to a work job around there today, so I'll try to take some pictures and post later (give me a week).

It is a lot of traffic 24 hours a day. Hard to explain, but it's kind of a blind curve, and noisy (in your hotel room) all night.

Then there are empty lots and "low classy" stores there. Nighttime might have some "shady characters" hanging around that empty lot, or across at the cheap stores.

Again, it's okay - but just barely. It would be a very last choice for me.

It's just not a very kid or grandparent friendly spot.

Hopefully I'm somewhat explaining well here.

For Mexican Riviera ports as a comparison, Sunset Plaza area is kind of like Cabo San Lucas. Hollywood on Highland is like Ensenada or Tijuana, and Best Western Hollywood Hills is an even cheaper part of Ensenada.

I'll keep checking back.

CJW - I booked my airfare and transferred by booking over to the Mexican Riviera cruise so now I can really concentrate on this trip. ;)

Right now we are flying in on April 8th and plan to go to Hollywood for two days. I had planned to go to Disneyland for two days but I keep hearing that Disneyland is not as big as the one in Florida. Is it doable to see Disneyland and California Adventure in the same day without feeling rushed? If that is the case, we could do that for one day and then drive to San Pedro to stay the night before the cruise. :D As much as that was not something we HAD to do, its something that would make our morning much easier. So... do you have any hotel options near San Pedro other than the Doubletree and Crown Plaza? TIA!

Hi Mary-we'll warm up the Mariner for you and I'll try my best to get a review

before you fly out west:)

We decided to stay over near the Santa Ana airport so we could be close

to Disneyland. It's $94 for a parkhopper ticket for one day and that would

be almost $400 for us, so unless I can find a discount we may just go up

to Downtown Disney Saturday evening before the cruise. We just took our

kids to DW in July, so it won't break their heart if we don't end up there.

CJW-I have been reading your travel tips for awhile now and you've been

very helpful in my planning! One question for you about the area over by

SNA. Is there any particular area that we should avoid, with regard to hotels? I have been looking in the Newport Beach area- Radisson,

Marriott, etc. and I found a Hampton Inn that had great reviews. I haven't

booked yet, just waiting to see if I could get DL tickets for a bit less.

Thanks!!

I haven't been to California Adventure, but from what I heard it's hard to do both parks in one day. I guess if I ever make it to CA, I'll know.

You may want to check with the Auto Club and other types of discount services to see if they have any DL discounts available. I know you can get a pretty good AAA discount for the Aquarium of the Pacific and other attractions.

Hello again, Curt!

You helped us out big time for our first Mexican Riviera/California pre cruise trip back in Spring Break of 2007.

We loved it so much that we are doing the same for Spring Break 2009.

(Never been on a voyager class ship, so thats why the same itinerary!)

You went out of your way to check out a very cool Melrose Place-type hotel that we ended up staying at (Cal Mar) and I am happy to say we will be returning there again!

We got a great rate for the 4 of us...$139/nite for a one bedroom apartment with a pullout sofa in the living room. Just look online at various sites as the hotels site shows a slightly higher rate. The heated pool was great, being able to cook meals helped save $$, and being able to walk to everything in Santa Monica was wonderful! We did the "Hollywood" tourist stuff that trip, so will be more laid back and will check out the pier which was the one thing we didnt have time for!

Definitely not a romantic-getaway type hotel, but great for a family with two teens!

Thanks again..you are appreciated more than you know! :)

Archived