Boring Question Alert: Can I get an iron on the ship?

COCRU

Okay, really boring question! :D Dec. 7th will be my first NCL cruise. I like to wear linen, which gets wrinkled like a son-of-a-gun in the suitcase, so do I need to bring a travel iron or will I be able to get an iron or get something ironed on the ship?

no, you can't bring your own

yes, you can ask the room stewards for one. you may have to ask for it each time you want to iron.

when you 1st get to the cabin, check the paperwork on the bed...there should be a "1st night" ironing special.

then you have the regular cleaning service...with iron only as a selection.

some ships have laundry rooms, with an iron/board...i didn't check to see which ship you are on. i know the star and the spirit don't have laundry rooms, but do have ironing/laundry specials.

It has always been my understanding that irons are *not* allowed by most (all?) of the cruise lines, and my response would be "why even bother taking one along if it's just going to be seized by security anyway?"

That being said ... is it *POSSIBLE* that the rent-a-cop at the security screening checkpoint might mistake the iron for some other sort of paraphanalia (adult or otherwise)? Yes, it's possible ... but would suggest that it's not worth the effort.

Michael

It has always been my understanding that irons are *not* allowed by most (all?) of the cruise lines, and my response would be "why even bother taking one along if it's just going to be seized by security anyway?"

That being said ... is it *POSSIBLE* that the rent-a-cop at the security screening checkpoint might mistake the iron for some other sort of paraphanalia (adult or otherwise)? Yes, it's possible ... but would suggest that it's not worth the effort.

Michael

I have taken a travel iron on every cruise and as recent as last week. I pack it in my luggage and have never been questioned. When I use it and leave it out to cool staff that have seen it have never said anything.

You can take a travel steamer if that interests you. I've always taken my travel iron with no problems. I've also read that if you call a NCL rep. some will say one is ok if it has auto-shutoff. I think from now on I'll use the pressing service offered on the first day. It's too go a deal to pass up.

no, you can't bring your own

yes, you can ask the room stewards for one. you may have to ask for it each time you want to iron.

It was my understanding that you can't bring your own iron onboard because it's a fire hazzard. I have also heard, as you state, you can ask your cabin steward for one.

I was wondering why this is not considered a fire hazzard? I would think the potential danger is still there regardless of who's iron it is.

Sorry, just curious if you or anyone else has a clue why this is.

Happy Cruising! :)

The two cruises I went on (NCL & DCL) I brought an iron & even left it out, I didn't know that it was supposedly "frowned upon" yet, & I never heard a word from anyone about it.

My parents also have been on a few cruises (NCL, DCL, Princess) & they too have never been stopped or bothered about it.

In planning for my Nov 1 cruise I wanted to double check, so I asked NCL & my TA. The answer from both...

Travel irons are allowed, full size are not. ;)

I have a small travel iron/steamer combo that has never been questioned on any cruise I have taken. However, on our last cruise on the Jewel I got stopped and questioned about my travel electric hair rollers. Apparently the bag checker had never seen any like mine before and asked me twice what they were!

We took a travel iron on our July cruise to the med and left it in the cabin in view of our wonderful cabin stewards and nothing was said. But to be honest I think we only used it about 2 or 3 times during the two weeks

The only way to get the correct answer to your question is to direct that question to NCL. Some lines (RCI and Celebrity) absolutely forbid passengers from bringing irons, including travel irons and steamer irons, onboard. Others either allow the practice or are neutral about it. Relying on the claim of someone who brought an iron onboard, left it in clear view, and did not have it confiscated is like depending on someone who broke the speed limit and was not stopped and arrested. Go to the source and then you can be sure you are doing the right thing. :)

Archived