Why do so many members not say where they are from?

franu

The less personal information you post, the better. There are too many nut cases out there, so why help them out?

I've overheard store clerks ask people for their phone numbers in a checkout line - for "survey" purposes ( I refuse) I was in line behind an attractive 30-something one day and she rattled off her phone number in a voice loud enough for me to hear it. I butted in, and told her and the clerk that thanks to her giving me her phone number, I could now find where she lived and a host of personal information about her with the help of Google. (try it, go to Google and type in your phone number) The clerk said it was store policy to ask, and I told him it was my policy to refuse. The 30-something thanked me and said it would be her new policy to refuse as well.

I always tell them I do not have a phone...even when I have my phone in hand and Never get a problem. Sorry I am not giving anyone my info when I am purchasing from a store!!

If you think that's paranoid, well, it's not. There's enough information in this one post of mine that someone with a clue could figure out my home address in a matter of minutes (*). A few minutes after that they could know how much I paid for my house.

That was a really good deal at the time, but sadly the market is down a tad now. Good thing you have all the equity now. The tivo upstairs on the LG should really be set to 1080i, and you are running a bit too much bass on the Yamaha home theater downstairs. By the way, I love those hardwood floors. :D

I post the city where I live (1,500,000 inhabitants). My CC name is somewhat generic so good luck on figuring it out. It has nothing to do with my real name. As for the phone number, when asked by a merchant for a phone number, I give them one (not mine of course!). If I really do want them to have the number, I give them my cell phone number which is tied to a post office box (it sure is getting crowded in there). It is a little harder to trace.

The real truth though is that everyone in this country is traceable. All the legal databases have your information. Privacy is a concept that is going away.

It is being paranoid if someone feels unable to say which country, or even state they live in:eek: How could anyone trace a person through saying USA/Canada etc? By joining a forum you are giving more away with your e-mail address.

That is an active phone number in many areas. Someone gave out our number and it took about five years to stop calls intended for the other person. Please, please just decline to give any phone number. See article at http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/8675309.asp

Some of us don't give information because we live in small towns and/or have unique names. I don't care to advertise when we will be away from our house.

We had that problem also. collection agencies calling for "Susie Smith" and they did not BELIEVE that we did not know "Susie Smith". One jerk started insisting that I was her.

It is being paranoid if someone feels unable to say which country, or even state they live in:eek: How could anyone trace a person through saying USA/Canada etc? By joining a forum you are giving more away with your e-mail address.

Crusiecritic knows your e-mail address- you can choose the option for it not to be displayed.

as far as I am concerned, I tell people I am from GA, USA, I just do not care for it to be listed in my profile.

I have a different reason - it is just too complicated to explain in one little space. I am English, my wife is Brazilian and we live temporarily in Portugal. I did put Algarve, Portugal in my profile at first, but people thought we are Portuguese and it would give the wrong impression. Therefore, it is better to say nothing.

Hi...

my first name is Jorge, my nick here is jorgeminiano (because I am gemini on the zodiac or "geminiano" in Portuguese). I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and I am not affraid of crazy people find me in my home here in Brazil just because I show this in my CC profile. Of course, I wont put here my full name, the street where I live in, my phone number, my cell phone... I have some cautions. I do like to know where people are from, and I think that most people like to know where others come from too, but, each person think in a different way and we have to respect, as a CC member have said above.

Hugs for everyone!!!

Archived