Shore Excursion to Monserrat for Volcano

bas7

Hello,

I'm headed on a cruise which stops in Antigua. Does any know, or has anyone taken a shore excursion by boat or helicopter to Montserrat to see the volcano? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce

HAL - VOLENDAM - 10 DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN WAYFARER, DEC 2005

HAL - ZUIDERDAM - 7 DAY EASTERN CARIBBEAN, APR 2006

CARNIVAL - MIRACLE - 8 DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN, MAR 2008

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BOOKED ON:

NCL - NORWEGIAN DAWN - 13 DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN, NOV 2008

On my last cruise we took a helicopter tour to Montserrat. It was pricey, but I absolutely was fascinated the entire trip. It is about a 28 mile trip to the island and I don't know of any day trips that you can take to there other than through Caribbean Helicopters which is booked through the cruiseline. On the flight over you get a nice view of Antigua and their beautiful beaches and some surrounding islands. Once at Montserrat you will get some great close up views of the steaming vents and the pyroplastic flows. The houses in the abandoned town are mostly covered in ash, but you can get some great views of all the devastation caused by the eruption. The pilot will spend plenty of time giving you a history of the island while he flies over all the different landmarks. He also will follow the path of the pyroplastic flow at roughly the same speed that it came down the volcano as it erupted and flowed thru town and into the ocean. You can also get some close up views of the native wildlife that has taken up residence there. On our way back to Antigua ,one of the passengers asked ithe pilot if he ever saw whales in the waters and within minutes the pilot spotted a pod of whales and flew down closer to give us a better view.

It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The whole tour only last about 2 1/2 hours so you will have time to check out one of fabulous looking beaches or do some sightseeing in Antigua when you get back.

I agree, the helicopter tour of Monserrat's Volcano is absolutely breathtaking. The best way to do this tour is through your ships shore excursions. They will provide your taxi to and from the helicopter's location and when your done the beautifull Millers Beach is located right next to the helipad. Enjoy your stay in Antigua or atleast in the air above our surrounding islands.;)

Hi,

Thank you both for your vivid descriptions, and experiences of Montserrat and the Volcano. I'm very psyched, and can't wait to see it for myself.

Thanks again,

Bruce

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BOOKED ON:

I just got my docks and tour package and the tour you mentioned is not on the princess ship emerald

Hi,

Thank you both for your vivid descriptions, and experiences of Montserrat and the Volcano. I'm very psyched, and can't wait to see it for myself.

Thanks again,

Bruce

BOOKED ON:

I just got my docks and tour package and the tour you mentioned is not on the princess ship emerald

Hi,

I haven't received my doc's yet, however, when I go on the NCL website, I don't see the tour listed either.

I guess as Antiguan states, we'll have to book independently.

Thanks Antiguan.

Good Luck!

Bruce

We were on the Serenade of the Seas in April when we booked our tour through the cruiseline. From what I understood they had all the trips booked that day. There was 2 helicopters running continously that day doing the tours, each holding 5 or 6 passengers. Getting the front is a real treat, but the view would be great from any seat. Caribbean Helicopters has a website so contacting them directly would probaly give you info on what their availability is. They are the only helicopter tour company that is allowed to go to Montserrat. I'm so glad that I took this trip!

• 1 month later...

Archived