Dress Help....

jbpinkie

My DF and I are eloping on the innaugural sailing of the Ruby Pincess. We are getting married on the beach in Grand Cayman. Our wedding day attire is simple. DF is doing a silk shirt and slacks and I am doing a flower print dress.

Ok here's where I need your help... for the cruise itself we decided we wanted to truly be formal on formal nights, so we bought DF a tux and I went in search of a gown. I had no luck for an actual gown, but did find a beautiful long skirt and top at Nordstrom's. I then bought a second top on ebay for the second formal night, that I would wear with the same skirt.

Well today... we went to order his vest and ties and next door to the tux shop is a dress store, I had no idea was there! I went in and saw the most beautiful gown. It is a wine colored taffeta with the black sheen to it. It has a lace boddice that is beaded. It comes with a lace bolero jacket and a shall (so you have your choice to cover up, and how). They had it a size too small in the store and I tried it on, and almost cried. I felt so beautiful in it. It's a $600 dress (as much as I probably would have spent on a wedding dress if I were wearing a true wedding dress) and now I'm considering ordering it for the cruise.... Am I being frivilous? I already have something I could wear, it's just that it felt really special when I put it on.

Now the upside (here's me trying to rationalize this already...) is we are planning a party next year in lieu of a reception, so it could be worn again there..

Help!! am posting a copy of the picture (it is in blue in the pic but you get the idea) I have to decide by Tuesday in order for the dress to be here and altered in time, so I welcome your thoughts :)

2178627380101312120vIgYec_th.jpg

Its a beautiful dress! I say GO FOR IT! It's your wedding cruise! Think of how much money you are saving by eloping! Yes, you can rationalize it and say you will wear it again for your party next year, but it also can be worn on other cruises. It is more than I would pay for a formal dress BUT that's because I purchased a wedding gown.(about 600 dollars) I did pick out a couple more formal dresses that I will be ordering that were a couple of hundred dollars each so I can understand how you feel! I know we are splurging for our wedding & honeymoon cruise because it is our wedding and for us this will be the trip of a lifetime (at least that's what we think now! LOL) If you love the dress, then go and order it!

Barbie

I agree you should enjoy your wedding cruise, i love dressing up for formal nights and as you can get a professional photo taken it's another way or rememebering yuor weddning in a different outfit.

Have a great time

My initial response was "YES! Go for it!" but then I thought about the economy and wondered- Can you afford it?

If the answer is yes, then YES! Go for it!

You are worth it.

We think a lot alike. It's hard to think about spending money right now, especially when it isn't the dress I will wear for my actual wedding. (that one I bought on HSN for $20 :) ) I went to a bridal store thinking I could get a bridal gown for less, which is true. They just seemed to over the top for me to wear for just the evening. I am still undecided, but thank everyone for the thoughts.

Archived