Dolphin Encounter

bump1205

We did Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel and were very satisfied. It was well run and located in Chankanaab Park.

After the dolphins there is a lot to do at the park. There is a pool, lagoon and snorkeling, etc.

We just returned from our cruise and we had a large family some of us did the encounter and some did the the swim adventure we all loved it and it was worth every penny. We booked directly through there website and saved a few bucks and it was great.

I love these threads because it gets me so excited about my trip. Two months and I'll be doing the Royal Swim AND the Swim Adventure. I figure I'll get as much dolphin time as I can while I'm in a place to do it.

I booked directly through the site once I realized that if the ship doesn't get me there on time or misses the port they'll give me my money back.

As others have said, the Royal Swim at Dolphin Discovery is fantastic and worth every penny.

If you'd like to see some pics, click on the link below that says "Norwegian Sun pics". There's a lot of family pics that you have to wade through but the dolphin pics show a lot of what they do. We bought the professional pictures as well as taking our own with a waterproof camera.

Have a wonderful time!

CG

I booked a Royal Swim at Chankannab Park / Dolphin Discovery in March. I made the reservation a couple of weeks ago. I recently tried going to the website that I reserved from and I can't get in.

Should I be worried???

Did I get ripped off???

Kim:mad: :confused: :mad:

I booked a Royal Swim at Chankannab Park / Dolphin Discovery in March. I made the reservation a couple of weeks ago. I recently tried going to the website that I reserved from and I can't get in.

Should I be worried???

Did I get ripped off???

Kim:mad: :confused: :mad:

If you booked on their web site (dolphindiscovery.com) you should be OK, if not you might want to go to that site, look up the phone # and confirm your booking with them.

My 2 kids (ages 11 and 13) are really excited about swimming with the dolphins. But I was hoping to be able to watch and enjoy, but not actually swim with them as well. Is this possible, or will I be required to pay the full fee to come and watch the kids?

My 2 kids (ages 11 and 13) are really excited about swimming with the dolphins. But I was hoping to be able to watch and enjoy, but not actually swim with them as well. Is this possible, or will I be required to pay the full fee to come and watch the kids?

We did this on our second trip, no problem & no fee. First time (2003) the whole family did it. Second time (2005) our kids and friends did it and we just watched. They let us go out on the walkway with the group so we were right up close and could take pictures. You're standing up above them (6 feet up or so) and they are on a lower platform right at water level when they aren't actually in the water.

Thanks for the info. One more question - will they let me video tape them? I understand that they record and sell a DVD afterwards, which makes me wonder if they would want me recording my own of the kids. What do you think?

I went on dolphin discovery's website and talked to one of the online live helpers. I asked a lot of the same questions you're asking.

They told me that if my boyfriend wanted to watch and not swim with them he needs to:

a) pay chankaanab's park admission 16$ and b) pay a 5$ watching fee.

They also told me that no other video or camera taking is allowed besides what they have.

I have heard from other members on here that it's that way, but I would recommend checking with them directly.

if you go on the website you can talk to someone live on the net. :)

I booked this for december and im so excited to go!!!

Thank you for checking this all out. Paying the entrance fee won't be a problem since we were planning on spending some of the day there anyway. I guess it doesn't surprise me about the 'no camera' rule. If it is a well made video and shows the kids quite abit, it will be a good souvinere to take with us from cozumel. But I will for sure check with them before I book it. Thanks again.

...They told me that if my boyfriend wanted to watch and not swim with them he needs to:

a) pay chankaanab's park admission 16$ and b) pay a 5$ watching fee.

They also told me that no other video or camera taking is allowed besides what they have...

This must be relatively new, either that or it wasn't enforced in December 2003 - the last we watched the kids. Don't know about video cameras, as we didn't have one, but on that visit they allowed us to walk out on the dock/gangway and watch and take pictures.

Frankly, I think the video they do is really good and I'd highly recommend it. If you haven't already done so go to youtube and look at my two videos

. Of course the quality is much better than on youtube, and these were on videotape (VHS) - I've got to believe they now sell you digital DVD's.

Sorry that was five years ago. Icalle is correct. However, they do allow a disposable underwater camera. I guess they know the quality is not the greatest. CruisnGram used a water camera and her pics are great. Mine were not as good.

We just watched our DVD, this weekend. It was great.

I am interested in the Royal Swim at Chankanaab Park. Do you recommend I book direct rather than on the ship. Is that through Dolphin Discovery? Is this a good one? Do you know how many people are in a group? Any comments on this experience would be helpful.

I am interested in the Royal Swim at Chankanaab Park. Do you recommend I book direct rather than on the ship. Is that through Dolphin Discovery? Is this a good one? Do you know how many people are in a group? Any comments on this experience would be helpful.

I would do it direct - just be sure to understand the times and leave extra time before and after AND extra time for enjoying the park! I'd also call sooner than later to get your choice of times and to make sure you get period! The first time we did this in 2000 our family of 5 formed a group. In 2003 four of our kids (college age) were put together with another group for a total of 8. You can look up their phone number on their web site and call to ask questions.

how much time do you need to go through the entire park. is there a lot to do in chankanaab? i want to get there early to see the park before we do the encounter.. we wont get out in time before they close.

If you look at the park website and reviews, there are a few things to see. But we usually just like sitting on the beach, snorkeling a little and having lunch with a few margaritas at the larger of the open air restaurants near the main entrance. Very nice!

We are looking at Dolphin Discovery/Chaakanab, and I had a few questions.

• Can someone please explain the logistics of getting there. (How long does it take, about how much is it, are there plentiful cabs to come back or do I need to ask my driver to pick me up, etc.)
  • Has anyone done both the Royal Swim and the Swim Adventure? If so, could you elaborate a little on the pros/cons? I like the free time and snorkeling aspects of the Adventure (and the price), but if the Royal Swim is much better, let me know.
  • Finally, has anyone done the Trainer program at Dolphinarius? This looks like a really neat program, but I haven't hear too much about them. Also, if my ship docks at 7:00, do you think I can make it there in time for an 8:00 program?

Thanks for any answers/opinions you can offer:)

Beware...I booked the Dolphin Encounter directly for 7 people for March, 2009. Was surprised when I got dinged an additional 3% surcharge by my credit card company because I'd made an 'international purchase'. Still saved me money over booking it with the cruise, but it still made me mad!!:mad: Since everyone had already paid me for the Encounter, I didn't feel like asking them to pay the additional hidden cost. So I'm having to eat it.

..Can someone please explain the logistics of getting there. (How long does it take, about how much is it, are there plentiful cabs to come back or do I need to ask my driver to pick me up, etc.)

It was a 15 minute cab ride, more or less. I think cab was $10 each way, plus tip. No problem finding cabs there and back. There is a fee to get into the park too - can't remember that exactly but I think adults were $10 or $12 per person.

Can't help with your other questions.

...Was surprised when I got dinged an additional 3% surcharge by my credit card company because I'd made an 'international purchase'. ...

This has nothing to do with the Dolphin Excursion and everything to do with knowing about your credit card terms and using your card to charge something in another country. Some credit cards charge this fee and some don't, even within the same credit card company and the % amount of the fee can vary. It just depends on the terms for your particular card. Most Capital Once cards plans, but not all of them, do not have this fee. If in doubt call your credit card company and ask about fees for foreign purchases and foreign exchange. Also, when charging anything in another country the charge will almost always come through in their local currency. While many vendors quote prices in dollars, to help us understand, it would be very unusual for their local banks to process charges in US Dollars. Instread the merchant will almost always convert the US $ price to their local currency at some exchange rate they determine themselves (could be favorable or unfavorable) and then as it clears your credit card company will convert it to US Dollars and add any fees according to their fee schedule. If in doubt ask both the vendor and your credit card company before you charge.

Beware...I booked the Dolphin Encounter directly for 7 people for March, 2009. Was surprised when I got dinged an additional 3% surcharge by my credit card company because I'd made an 'international purchase'. Still saved me money over booking it with the cruise, but it still made me mad!!:mad: Since everyone had already paid me for the Encounter, I didn't feel like asking them to pay the additional hidden cost. So I'm having to eat it.

I used my credit card to pay for a large group and I was not charged the 3% surcharge. I guess different banks have different policies.

• 2 weeks later...

If it has not been answered, you can buy just an observer ticket. My 6 year old did the Dolphin Encounter and I was able to watch, take pictures, and drink, (not too much, and it was extra) all at the sametime. Did not purchase their pictures because I had a great view and took my own.

Archived