How bad is the front of a ship?

lcmac

sailed only once forward in a OV cabin..RCCL s Monarch..

did nt experience any rock n roll..but, the view was horrible..

it was a last minute cruise at a good price so we took it and

truly enjoyed every aspect despite the limited view..

if it a choice of cabin or not sailing..it d be bon voyage:p

I've had a stateroom like that before.... It wasn't a bad "room".... It's just that in the mornings when they lower down the anchor, there are loud noises early in the morning.

My husband and I booked a cruise on Fantasy Oct 18th. We booked an inside cabin and it was upgraded from an inside cabin to R1. The room is on the lowest deck, very front of the boat with two porthole windows. Is that horrible?

Also, any suggestions about what to do in Cozumel and Progresso would be appreciated.

Thanks

I will definately bring a ton of medicine! It sounds almost fun if my stomach can handle it. I guess if the sea's are rough, drinking too much and hangovers will not mix well while trying to rest.

Research these boards for seasick meds. I firmly beleive that, for me, the meds make me sicker than the motion! I stick with ginger pills, stay in the fresh air as much as possible when seas are rough, limit alcohol, watch what I eat, etc.

Donna

Oh, and I had a room in the same location on the Holiday a year or so ago. We didn't have any problem. One night the wind was up (the crew made a distinction between the "wind" being up and the "seas" being rough) and we were rockin' and rolling but me and my roomie sat in the port hole and watched the waves. Good times..lol.

Donna

Dh an myself prefer front of the ship, no matter what floor, as we have been on all floors, have had porthole cabins and window and balconies...we love it especially when the seas are rocking and rolling...makes things challenging and fun...Personally I would love to get on the show "Deadliest Catch" those waves are awsome! I would not be working the deck of course. Waves and Swells rule!

Wife and I are on the same cruise and same type room. We 're in U1. She had us in the middle on an inside. When the prices dropped to $199 I took the upgrade and a small OBC. She thinks I'm gonna regret it! I think I'm just gonna tell her to go INTENSIFY the buzz!!

What about the farther-up decks? Most of the posts seem to be for fore-and-low. We're booked on the Victory this weekend at the front of the ship, Verandah. What are we in for in calm/rough seas?

/likes rockin', btw. ;)

My first cruise was on the Triumph. We had #1227, which is extremely forward -- the 7th cabin back from the front of the deck. I loved hearing the water splash against the hull of the ship and our windows. The motion wasn't anything we couldn't handle.

In fact, we had 15 - 20 foot seas one night and we couldn't stop giggling because it was so much fun.

Being down on the fiesta deck minimizes the side-to-side motion because you're right at the water. Being that far forward does exaggerate the front-to-back motion, but it's a lotta fun.

My first cruise I was in U3, the 2nd porthole cabin from the front, on the Inspiration. I took Bonine everyday as a preventative measure against seasickness and never had a problem. I've found Bonine does not make me tired like Dramamine does, and it's available free on the ship from either the purser's desk or just outside the infirmary.

I would recommend that you bring some earplugs as the sound of the anchor dropping at 5 AM is a rude awakening. It sounds like something is about to crash through the roof of your cabin. That said, I still had a wonderful cruise and loved the portholes. I'd stay in that cabin again.

I have a question. What do you experienced cruisers consider the "front of the ship"? We are on the Legend, main deck rooms 4102 and 4104. They are not directly in the front of the ship, although they are the first rooms behind Follies, but now I am a little worried about the motion and the anchor. My DD gets seasick (dramamine does help her though) and I figured this room was not directly in the front that we would be ok. Any experiences???

Without reading any replies, I'll just answer your question.:) I've had the frontmost cabin E1 on one cruise, and M6 on three others, as well as very far forward on others. I like those cabins for many reasons.

• It is very quiet in that area, almost no hall traffic or noise.

• It's much less expensive for me (as a solo cruiser) to book those cabins.

• I like having portholes. Sometimes I've had one, sometimes two. I am mildly claustrophobic, so having any type window to see out of is a big plus at a lower cost.

• It's a bit of a walk to an elevator...which helps me walk off some of the food I eat during a cruise.lol

Research these boards for seasick meds. I firmly beleive that, for me, the meds make me sicker than the motion! I stick with ginger pills, stay in the fresh air as much as possible when seas are rough, limit alcohol, watch what I eat, etc.

Donna

Hey Donna where did you find your ginger pills My DW gets Motion sickness and we cant find any in the general Stores here in The Fort Worth, Texas area? also we ahve a Deck 10 Forward cabin for the first time it was a free upgrade from deck 6 aft, we like the Aft balcony cabins too!!;) Thanks!

Best regards

RJ:)

I will definately bring a ton of medicine! It sounds almost fun if my stomach can handle it. I guess if the sea's are rough, drinking too much and hangovers will not mix well while trying to rest.

SEASICK MEDS:

AVAILABLE--FREE

At Pursers desk or in a box on the wall outside the INFIRMARY.

We have done those well forward cabins and regularly do aft balcony cabins. Motion is not a problem for us. The anchor drop IS a crack up in the forward cabins. It IS a wake up call!!

Dan

What about Aft rooms? Are those bad?

Which, if you had to pick, would you choose: Aft or Forward?

Ships are not hinged in the middle. If the front moves, the back does too.

If the ship has to sail thru rough seas, motion WILL be felt in EVERY AREA of the ship. Yes, low, midship will have the least motion but those who suffer from motion sickness would not agree. Least motion does not mean anything like a lot less motion, it means a tiny [not so you could tell] bit less motion.

Dan

Our last cruise was on the Liberty and we were upgraded from an inside to an obstructed view cabin all the way at the front. We were worried it might be loud or rough, but we were pleasantly suprised. We really loved our cabin and will try to book one like it again. It was a little bigger than the ones we are used to and had a little different layout too, and we liked it better!

We recently stayed near the very front of the Valor...the problem we had wasn't movement...but rather...how far away we were from the majority of areas that we frequent. Like, the aft dining room...where we ate, the sky bar on the aft of the ship...where I always like to get a late night bucket of beer, or the 24-hour pizza, or the piano lounge, or karaoke in the aft lounge, etc. etc. Seemed like we were always hiking back to the rear of the ship!!! Never noticed that before when we stayed at the back or in the middle...but noticed the constant hike...when we were at the very front!

First cruise was E7 Inspiration - since then was midship Oceanview, midship Balcony. Just booked Imagination U3 for December - we couldn't beat the price and we loved our odd-shaped room on the Inspiration so we thought we would do it again.

Had no trouble sleeping up front, and loved the sound of the waves. Yes there is a walk to your cabin but it helps keep the lbs. off after the daily grazing of all that food! Loved the quiet outside the cabin, very little foot traffic up front.

Was on the Inspiration in Sept. our rooms were U12, U16, U18 they were not bad at all for the rocking. The only thing is when arriving and leaving ports, there is a loud noise from the anchor chain being dropped or brought in.

Didn't bother us because we weren't sleeping and kinda expected it.

We had a great time

Have fun on the cruise.

Sarah

Archived