Hotel Day Passes

Beth & Rob

We will be visiting Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. There are 8 of us, 2 being boys age 11 and 13. I've been several times, so there is not much I haven't seen. I don't think the boys would much enjoy 4 hours of a driving tour, but I think we would all enjoy being on the beach with all the activities offered. Something for everyone.

Can I get some recommendations on which hotels are good and what the day pass rates are.

Thanks so much.

We will be visiting Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. There are 8 of us, 2 being boys age 11 and 13. I've been several times, so there is not much I haven't seen. I don't think the boys would much enjoy 4 hours of a driving tour, but I think we would all enjoy being on the beach with all the activities offered. Something for everyone.

Can I get some recommendations on which hotels are good and what the day pass rates are.

Thanks so much.

In PV you can walk over the the Krystal Resort and use their facilities for free. Just take your beach towels and buy a drink or some food and they're happy.

Kristy

I checked with the Westin in PV and found that they charge 400 pesos p/person for a day pass(about $40), but you get a 300 peso($30) credit in their restaurant. So if your going to make a day of it and have lunch there, it might be a good deal. They also told me that it's about a 10 minute taxi ride from the dock and you can expect to pay about 60 pesos($6) for a taxi

I've been researching this board for months for my upcoming cruise. You may want to reconsider spending the equivelent of $40pp @ the Westin, when you can have an enjoyable day for a fraction of that.

I'd agree with Kristy, walk over to the Krystal, hang out and enjoy yourselves. Buying food and drinks there, should make for a reasonable day.

As for Mazatlan, take the water taxi ($1.50 - $2.00 ea) to Stone Island http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=661059

pick a restaurant to eat, drink and relax at and you've got another reasonable day. Stone Island also has water sports and horse back riding for a fee.

Enjoy:)

I have a time share at the Westin and I love that place to death. The pools are great there and the beach is nice as well. That does seem a bit pricey to me though. You can walk to the westin although it will be a bit of a walk. The swim from the cruise ship would actually be the most convinent =) The issue with walking is that you have to walk around the water and through the marina which does create a more "scenic" route. If you need pics of the westin's grounds, let me know.

Hi Beth & Rob, we were in PV two weeks ago and were considering the Westin. This is what they emailed me: First of all, thank you for contact The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, for us is a pleasure assists you. Regarding your question, yes we do offer a day pass which includes the access to the facilities, beach, pools, pool bars, restaurant, **Spa facilities are not included**. The cost is 15 USD per adult 5 USD per child and you can purchased at the main hotel front desk.

We’ll be glad to have you as our visitors in this “your house”.

Further assistance; please don’t hesitate in contact us.

Regrettably we did the Beach Break instead which took us to the Sheraton which was closed for renovations????

Anyway, if we had to do it again we would go to the Westin. FYI - I heard that there was construction at or near the Krystal.

Have a great cruise.

Does anyone know if you can walk to the Westin from the ship?

Yes, you can walk there but you should know that they don't have sidewalks for a good part of the way along the main north-south highway. If you reference the map above, the stretch along the navy base to "Proa" street is basically dirt `n scrub. The map makes it look like you can walk the streets thru "Isla Iguana" but that is really a gated community and doesn't go through.

If you do walk there, turn left at Proa and walk into the marina at the south-east corner. The majority of the marina shops and restaurants are located here and face the docks.

The bus is also an option. Head for the bus stop on the west end of the Walmart/Sam's parking lot and wait for a bus that has MARINA listed on the windshield. 5 1/2 pesos per person and it will take you to the Westin. You may have to wait a little for a Marina bus because they don't run at the same frequency as the rest of the city buses.

Enjoy!

Personally, I don't intend to eat off the ship although I will buy bottled water. So I like a place where I can rent a chair. The $15 Westin day rate that includes chairs, towels and choice of pool and beach in PV sounds great.

Thanks for the walking directions. 2 miles would be doable if there were things to see along the way, but from your description I'll splurge for the taxi.

Any similar hotels in Cabo or Mazlatlan?

In mazatlan you can get a day pass at El Cid El morro towers. I don't know the cost but this is where I stay when I visit Mazatlan twice a year. Nice beach, good food, good drinks. All kinds of activities. Jet skis, kayaks, parasail, ride over to deer island on a truck boat, banana boat, boogie boards. You can probably look up the el cid website and then email them in regards to the cost of a day pass. You will need to take a taxi or pulmonia to this hotel. I think we paid 15.00 for a taxi each way, but I don't remember.

I was interested in this information as well for an upcoming cruise. I contacted the El Cid Castilla and this was their response:

"We offer an All Inclusive Day Pass at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, the cost for this passes is $65 USD per person and includes all the privileges of the regular All Inclusive Plan."

I have read elsewhere on these boards that most hotels will let you use their palapas and chairs on the beach if you order food or drinks.

I would email them back and ask if there is a day pass that is not all inclusive. They charge 50.00 per day when you stay there to add the all inclusive package. So maybe they have a 15.00 per day non all inclusive package. If they don't, all beaches in mexico are public property, you can use the beach for free. Just bring your own towel, and have at it. As far as food and drink goes, there is a really nice Itailian rest. and pizza place right across the street from El Cid. But if you can't use the facilities there, I would just go to the golden zone. Right behind Sr. Frogs is a beach that a lot of people use. It's the same beach as El Cid, except a mile closer to the ship. I just don't care for that area as much as El Cid because I think the beach area is nicer at El Cid, plus as far as I know, El Cid is the only place on the beach that I know of that have palapas and chairs.

But unless you eat and drink continuously, 65.00 for a day pass is a lot in my book!

Archived