PVP verses TA.

Mike45

Hello all,

Can you all explain to me the benefits of one over the other. We sailed last year and used the PVP. But many people prefer a TA. What type of discounts can they give that a PVP can't? How can they if a PVP can't. I always felt like i'm not in control if using a TA. Just want more understanding. Thanks:D

Hello all,

Can you all explain to me the benefits of one over the other. We sailed last year and used the PVP. But many people prefer a TA. What type of discounts can they give that a PVP can't? How can they if a PVP can't. I always felt like i'm not in control if using a TA. Just want more understanding. Thanks:D

From what I have heard, TA's are less likely to give you the price drop without a fee after final pmt is made, whereas, Carnival PVP's will get you an OBC or an upgrade. . I have yet to see a TA beat the price that my PVP gets me. I should let you know that I am former military and from what I gather the military rate is the lowest rate Carnival offers.:D

We are long time cruisers, 42 and counting. Used a travel agent for out first 6 or 7 , until we tried booking directly with Carnival. We have never gotten a better deal from a travel agent. However I must admit, about 3-4 years ago we don't even compare anymore, we just call our personal planner at Carnival. Another advantage when using Carnival, the paperwork comes directly to you, not to the travel agent, who then must forward it on to us.

I would personally just skip a TA and PVP alltogether... and just book online.

I've read that there is a high turnover rate for PVP's... so if that is true, then the value is lost.

Some large Travel Agencies purchase blocks of cabins on a ship at a discounted price, and then book their clients into them. They can provide you the largest discount.

However, they are not allowed to advertise the lower price.

Regular TA's make between 10% and 15% on the commissionable portion of the cruise price (generally about 2/3rd's the cruise price), dependant on sales volume. There is really not much to pass along in way of discounts as half goes to the TA sales agent, and the other half to the Travel Agency itself.

I have gone both ways and have come to the conclusion that a TA beats a PVP hands down. :D I realize that I'm generalizing here, but it seems to me that some of the PVP's know less about cruising and their own company than the "man in the moon." Sure, some of the PVP's are first rate and they can get you OBC and other goodies sometimes. But travel agents can sometimes put you in with a group and get you OBC, a bottle of wine, dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, etc. etc. And if you have any problems a GOOD TA can fight for you with the cruise lines. :rolleyes:

By the way, last year I was on Legend and my TA got me a better price as a senior citizen than I would have gotten as a military retiree. ;)

Hello all,

By dealing with a PVP you have no middle man so to speak. But IMO that is about the only advantage. Many TAs will discount their commission to get you a lower price that a carnival PVP will not do. This includes military pricing as well. If you use a TA find one that gives discounts and will get OBC when appropriate (cruise price drops after you are paid in full) and does not charge fees for cancelation of a cruise. There are many out there that will do this to save you $$. As far as getting military pricing you need to FAX your DD214 to carnival once you book a cruise to get that pricing. Keep in mind there are only so many cabins set aside at these prices and the # varies from ship to ship and time of season.

i've used a website in which you type in what you want and generaly about 6 companies respond with their prices. Generaly after logging into my carnival account and then comparing to the price i'll get on this site. Carnival is for the most part 20% more on average.

The problem with a TA is that if THEY are the problem you may never know. Carnival will not contact you if the TA bounces a check to them and your cruise is cancelled.

As discuseed in your thread can't wait....very few agents will send a check to CCL....should pay with cc. This situation that you had, was an extremely rare one..unfortunatly.

Thanks Socref. What ID did you need for the military discount? Do you have to be active now or just past military?

Fax a copy of DD-214 to Carnival. You just have to have an honorable discharge with two or more years of service.

First, you have to find a reliable, service-oriented TA (which isn't easy - usualloy by personal recommendation), and verify that they don't charge a booking fee, they don't charge to make price adjustments, and they don't charge for cancellation processing. Ask if your TA monitors your cruise rates for price drops. Some TA's offer lower rates via group bookings and some TA's offer perks like OBC's, wine, free insurance, etc. ALWAYS make sure that the TA makes your CC charges direct to Carnival, not to the TA. TA's are much better at booking your flight arrangements than Carnival's Flite Program.

PVP's are accessible 24 hours a day and may be better at finding the best Carnival "deal" for you, and seem to be more cooperative in "granting" price drops.

ken

The problem with a TA is that if THEY are the problem you may never know. Carnival will not contact you if the TA bounces a check to them and your cruise is cancelled.

My advice is to NEVER deal with an agency who is taking your money.

Whomever you are cruising with (Carnival' date=' Royal, Disney) is the company who should be debiting your account, not the agency. This is the way most agencies do business - if your agency says otherwise, find a new one.

First, you have to find a reliable, service-oriented TA (which isn't easy - usualloy by personal recommendation), and verify that they don't charge a booking fee, they don't charge to make price adjustments, and they don't charge for cancellation processing. Ask if your TA monitors your cruise rates for price drops. Some TA's offer lower rates via group bookings and some TA's offer perks like OBC's, wine, free insurance, etc. ALWAYS make sure that the TA makes your CC charges direct to Carnival, not to the TA. TA's are much better at booking your flight arrangements than Carnival's Flite Program.

WELL SAID KEN! I couldnt have said it better myself

Archived