Which cruise line for a 16 month old?

isleschick3

Whichever one you would like--it's not going to matter one bit to a child that young! As long as you are happy, so will she be!

Disney is one line that will allow un-pottytrained children to get into a pool. Many lines require that they be completely trained (no swim diapers), for obvious reasons!

Most of the major lines are family friendly but most of the kids programs don't start until age 2 or 3. However, there are a few that offer more than most for children under 2:

Disney has Flounders nursery and a splash area for diapered children.

RCCL offers in cabin babysitting starting at age 1. The Freedom class and the Enchantment of the Seas have a splash zone for diapered children to play in the water as well. They also offer a daily play time for about 45 minutes a day in a lounge with some toys.

Celebrity offers in cabin babysitting starting at age 1.

This will really depend on what you had in mind for cruising with a 16 month old. As pp have said, kids clubs start at age 2 or 3 so that's not an option. I would love to try RCL Freedom class since they have an area for nonpotty trained kids at the H2O Zone. But if cost is a factor, then give NCL a try! We went last March when DS was 13 months. He sailed for just port charges and taxes and they have anytime dining. This worked out great but I did miss having the same waitstaff each evening. They also had a room with toys for kids that age. I think the hours were limited but it was a nice place to go for him to run around and play on sea days.

We are cruising on Carnival Valor in January when DS will be 23 months. We were originally planning to cruise after he turned 2 but instead, we're bringing DD (20) and her BF and had to go before she returned to college. My parents are going too so we'll have lots of help!

I too would suggest NCL. We went to Hawaii with DD (then 13 months) last fall and she had a great time. It has a tittle toddler pool for non-potty trained on board. Another thing I like the most was the free style dining - we can eat whatever time we wanted that fit DD's schedule. Also I am not a big fan of sitting with strangers so the free style dining worked perfectly for us (& I don't have to worry about her disturbing others) Also, the biggest advantage to me was on the last day - you can sit comfortably in your room until the colour of your luggage tag is called. Cruised on other lines where you have to sit in public area and wait..can't imagine doing that with my super-active DD running around the theatre. She was just staying happily in the room watching TV until our colour tag was called.

And most importantly - she sail for free (other than port charges) many other cruise line charge 3rd person price.

Another vote here for either Disney or NCL. Re: Disney, what toddler doesn't love the fun atmosphere involving Disney characters? Re: NCL, they have great toddler pools on their ships, and the Freestyle Dining is AWESOME for those who don't want to mess with the formality and regimen of "normal" cruise ship dining.

CeleBrat

Archived