ebel watch

denise63

I am hoping to buy a Ladies EBEL wave watch while in port at St. Thomas. Any recommendations on the best stores to shop? Is it common practice to negotiate and if so, by how much? Any stores you think I should avoid? Thanks so much for the advice.

Before you buy an Ebel watch or any watch, you should price it in your local store and even better on the internet. I have found you usually do much better on the internet than any store in St. Thomas or any Caribbean island. Watches are the easiest thing to price as there is a model number that you can trace.

Jewelry is much harder. For gold necklaces and bracelets you should ask how much it weighs and then figure out the cost per gram. These items are usually negotiable. I bought a 14k gold necklace at Cardow last November and paid $13 a gram which is very cheap. Earrings and pendants are much harder as they are usually not priced by weight.

Thanks so much for the advice. I do have a few internet prices that I have printed and will take with me. I'd prefer to purchase in a store if I can so that I am very sure that I am dealing with an authorized Ebel dealer. Don't want any problems getting the watch serviced at home. Making a purchase of that size over the web also makes me a little bit nervous. I do a lot of webshopping but never anything that pricey. Thanks again.

looked into it extensively. First since I will be investing 3-4 thousand dollars I have really checked it out. I can buy a Breitling on the internet for slightly less than I can on my cruise but I discovered that you do not get a manufacturer's warranty with the watches on the internet. I will only shop at authorized Breitling dealerships such as Little Switzerland (which is now owned by Tiffany's). I don't know who is an authorized Ebel dealer but I would do my homework and find out.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought mine at Columbian Emeralds In Charlotte Amalie about 5 years ago. They are an authorized dealer and I have never had any trouble getting it serviced. I had done a fair about of research before going which I agree you should do. They are not cheap anywhere. You really can't negotiate much on things like this, but their prices are good and fair.

Archived