Room Service and Tips

Cindyrca

We leave in a week, YEAH... Just wondering, if we do room service every morning (very light meal) do we increase the tip for our stewards, or who do we leave the tip for? Also is it required and is this something that can be done every morning (cash)?

Room service is different from the job the cabin steward does. I have ordered room service a lot on my cruises and never seen the cabin steward deliver my stuff...nor did I ever have the same delviery person twice.
Tip when service is rendered. Cash is nice. we used the $1 gold coins.

What ship are you sailing?

I agree with Andee, our cabin steward never delivered the food. That's why I take about $25 in ones.

But I suggest standard US folding money that is in common use, instead of $1 coins or $2 bills. Remember, they are stuck on the ship without access to a US bank to convert the odd money.

AH, but they do have access to a bank- It may not be land based like we have...but all their banking needs are onboard. The crew puts the money into their account. (they have a crew card--which is like our mac machines- to do all their purchasing.)

We always tip the room service steward, usually $1 if its only coffee and juice in the morning, and $2 for a sandwich or so in the afternoon. Room service is a separate dept. it won`t be delivered by your cabin steward.....jean :cool:

It might depend on cruiseline and situation. When I ordered (rarely) room service on board cunard ships it was delivered by the cabin steward. So there was need for tipping in between. Even more so as cruising is supposed to be cashless.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='danoshea']hello cruizincurt i would say after so many cruises you really are a cool cruiser this is only my first. could i ask you i paid service charges with my booking do you know what that covers in regard to tips:)[/QUOTE]

[b]I'm not Curt, but I think I can help. Don't know which line you'll cruise with, but:[/b]

[b]If you prepay your tips with Carnival, that takes care of your cabin steward, dining room waitstaff team, and Lido dining attendants. Room service and any other incidentals would be extra, and up to you.[/b]

[quote name='danoshea']hello cruizincurt i would say after so many cruises you really are a cool cruiser this is only my first. could i ask you i paid service charges with my booking do you know what that covers in regard to tips:)[/QUOTE]

Is this a service charge for the tips-- or is the service charge what the agent charged you for their services??

if it was for tips you were charged $10.00 per day per person.

Archived