Sierra Madre tour(Mazatlan)

ckr31

I've done this tour with Celebrity, Princess and Mazatlan Frank. Basically you head out of Mazatlan and visit several small towns with a stop for lunch in Copalla. While all visit most of the same places, with Frank you are in a van rather than a bus, and stop at about twice the # of places. Because you are in a small group you can see more and spent more time in each location. Frank also stops several places in Mazatlan on the way back that the ship tours don't. Add in the fact Frank is cheaper and it a no brainer choice.

Here is the tour: http://www.mazatlan-frank.com/COPALA.html

Check out the Ports of Call section on Mexico for more thoughts on tours.

We took the all-day Sierra Madre tour in Mazatlan in 2003 from the Sun Princess. On the way, we visited a traditional adobe brick maker, and observed bricks being made and fired in the kiln. We then headed into the Sierra Madre and visited the Spanish colonial towns of Concordia and Copala. Both had picturesque town squares with beautiful churches, and narrow streets extending out from the square. We explored each town and went shopping for souvenirs. After 5 years, we have pleasant memories of this tour.

DavidnSteph

Have done this tour through Princess. It was a really good tour, got to see the things mentioned in the above posts. It's nice to see this side of Mazatlan and surrounding areas - a bit slower paced, etc as the Golden Zone (town area) of Mazatlan is pretty hectic.

The only con might be that it is a pretty long day to be in and out of a bus. If I remember, maybe 6-7 hours? Other than that, it was really interesting.

We have done this tour twice,,, once with Royal Caribbean and once with Princess. Both were basically the same and very nice. The town of Concordia is interesting and has a nice town square and cathedral. The turn around town is Copala. Fun little Mexican Town. You probably will have lunch there. We have been to two different restaurants and both were nice. The last trip was with Princess and we had more at lunch. Both places were very authenic.

If you want to see more than just the City of Mazatlan, this is nice. Like the above poster said, it takes most of the day.

I haven't used the independent tour company.

You can see the real Mexico on this tour.

Both Concordia and Copala are lovely. The brick "factory" was pretty mucha joke, but short at least.

Vendors not pushy like in Mazatlan. Beautiful stone baroque churches unlike anything else that far north in North America.

We took the Princess tour with guide Milton and it was wonderful.

Included a great lunch in Copala.

Fun time. Even got a short stop at the Golden Zone (not my thing) and the old tourist area of "Olas Altas" on the way back to the ship.

I would do a repeat.

Archived