Snorkeling in CocoCay

tigers317

Can't answer your question. However, go to your local sport goods store (sport's authority) and you could pick up a decent set of snorkeling gear for about $30-40. With all the MRSA going around you just don't know how well this stuff is disinfected. JMO.

We were there 2 weeks ago. They have plenty of equipment. The mask, fins and vest rent for $29. They even have some prescription; masks if you get there early enough. You have to wear the vest if you snorkel there. The snorkling was excellent in my opinion. Lots of fish. Have fun!

Do you have to rent a vest if you bring your own snorkeling gear? :confused: I'm an excellent swimmer--is there a real need to wear a vest?

Are there certain areas set aside for snorkeling or can you snorkel anywhere? Where are the best places to snorkel around the island?

At $29 per person I think I'll buy my own gear to use again and again! Any recommendations?

Thanks!

ebandive, RCCL requires you to where a snorkle vest if you go snorkling. The best place to snorkle is a bit of a swim from shore in deep water. There are lifeguard stands out there and a large wooden raft to rest on. That said if you enter the water from the smaller beach away from the land lifeguards you might get by without a vest. I would suggest that unless you are a very strong swimmer and very used to snorkling long distances that you pay the $6 for a vest. There is some OK snorkling just off the small beach near some rocks in shallow water where you wouldn't need a vest but because it is near shore the visibility is not real good. If you keep walking along the beach to the other side of the island you can easily snorkle off shore in waist deep water that will be very clear. There is no reef so you will just see fish and a few shells.

Archived