Long fins or short fins?

flatman

What's the difference between the short and long fins for snorkeling?

For snorkeling really not much. For diving, divers prefer longer fins due to the resistance of the water at depth and the power offered by longer fins. Free divers use really long fins to provide maximum thrust while going to great depths. For snorkeling, a mainly surface activity, usually in little or no current, they're mainly used for steering and light propulsion.

Randall

Ok, seriously, long fins take more effort to kick, and is supposed to get you moving faster and longer. It's not as easy to change direction.

Usually snorkelers use shorter fins, because usually you want to stay still to watch what's under sea. If it take some kicking of the fins, you can get tired, splash more water, and get tired, even get leg/ankle crumps. More splashing also scares fish away.

DIvers usually like longer fins. But then there are navy divers using shorter jet fins to allow quick mobility in all directions.

For snorkeling really not much. For diving, divers prefer longer fins due to the resistance of the water at depth and the power offered by longer fins. Free divers use really long fins to provide maximum thrust while going to great depths. For snorkeling, a mainly surface activity, usually in little or no current, they're mainly used for steering and light propulsion.

Randall

Hey thanks scubaran, I see your a cruisecritic regular like me. Everywhere I look your there, and thats great! I have a set of the long fins that I found in a set at kmart on the clearance section. I think I found a really great deal with usdiver gear, a mask, tube and fins in a mesh bag for sixteen bucks. Now I think I'm going to also get another pair of the short fins for my snorkeling I plan to do..again thanks!

Jim

Hey thanks scubaran, I see your a cruisecritic regular like me. Everywhere I look your there, and thats great! I have a set of the long fins that I found in a set at kmart on the clearance section. I think I found a really great deal with usdiver gear, a mask, tube and fins in a mesh bag for sixteen bucks. Now I think I'm going to also get another pair of the short fins for my snorkeling I plan to do..again thanks!

Jim

No problem. BTW, if you're comfortable with your longer fins, use them to snorkel in, I do. Some people don't like the longer fins for snorkeling due to the reasons Middleager pointed out. But if you're used to yours and save some money, you should have no problems with splashing, etc. (Nothing worst than to stick your head out of the water to point to something interesting to your partner than to have a newbie splash you, then hit you in the face with their fin as they make a pivot.) :mad:

> Everywhere I look your there, and thats great!

Boring job, telecommute from home and like to chat. :D

Randall

No problem. BTW, if you're comfortable with your longer fins, use them to snorkel in, I do. Some people don't like the longer fins for snorkeling due to the reasons Middleager pointed out. But if you're used to yours and save some money, you should have no problems with splashing, etc. (Nothing worst than to stick your head out of the water to point to something interesting to your partner than to have a newbie splash you, then hit you in the face with their fin as they make a pivot.) :mad:

> Everywhere I look your there, and thats great!

Boring job, telecommute from home and like to chat. :D

Randall

Hey scubaran, I've only snorkeled once at Grand Turks last fall, so I'll probably be the splasher..lol.

What's the difference between the short and long fins for snorkeling?

I think the difference would be the length of the fin......Ok I dont know the answer for snorkeling, but I couldnt resist. Please forgive me. I would think that the size of the fin for snorkeling would be about the same for diving, and that would be the amount of "power" needed or leg strength you have.

Archived