Cruise Australia

cheermum42

Hi I am new to this site but I will be cruising Australia in about one month and I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1st question we will be arriving in Sydney at 8am and our ship does not sail till 6pm we will be sailing out of the overseas passenger terminal and would like to know if we can drop our luggage off early so that we can go and explore Sydney. Which brings me to my next question are we able to walk from the cruise port to any attractions or do we need to get a taxi or bus? I read on-line they had a bus (like a hop-on-hop-off) that makes a loop of all the attractions but does anyone know how we get to it.

This is our first time in Australia so if anyone has any advice or feedback for us I welcome it.

Hi I am new to this site but I will be cruising Australia in about one month and I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1st question we will be arriving in Sydney at 8am and our ship does not sail till 6pm we will be sailing out of the overseas passenger terminal and would like to know if we can drop our luggage off early so that we can go and explore Sydney. Which brings me to my next question are we able to walk from the cruise port to any attractions or do we need to get a taxi or bus? I read on-line they had a bus (like a hop-on-hop-off) that makes a loop of all the attractions but does anyone know how we get to it.

This is our first time in Australia so if anyone has any advice or feedback for us I welcome it.

Welcome!!

In answer to your questions - yes, you'll be able to leave your bags at the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) at 8am when you arrive from the Airport.

Regarding attractions - the OPT is in the shadow of both the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge as can be seen in this photo of Pacific Sun at the OPT ;

2363067710078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

and this shot of the Opera House taken from on board Pacific Sun while berthed at the terminal;

2630789430078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

There is easy access to trains and ferry's at Circular Quay for access to other Sydney attractions.

There is a hop-on hop-off bus, and I'm guessing you'd be able to pick it up from the Opera House or Circular Quay. Sydneysiders will be able to tell you more about this.

Guest xywolap

Right alongside is the ferry terminal.. A trip across to Manly and back is a nice way to see the harbour and over at Manly it is only a short walk to the nice beach there.

Ferries are regular and cheap, see here.. http://mail.google.com/mail/#settings/fwdandpop

A map of the trip is here... http://www.sydneyferries.info/uploads/Manly_PassMapD2%20FINAL.pdf

Google earth would give you more details of what to expect.

Taronga Zoo is just across the harbour and the ferries go there if that sort of thing is of interest. http://www.taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo/plan-your-visit/zoo-map.aspx

The OPT is only 5 min walk to bus and train access and there are many that do a tourist loop too. There is also a monorail loop nearby too.

More info here http://www.sydney.com.au/ and here http://www.manlyaustralia.com.au/

Cheers and hope you enjoy your visit. :) :)

Just one further suggestion. Just keep as least as possible to carry on board - drop the rest off. You don't want to carry , wheel bags all over Sydney. A couple of light back packs should be enough.

Enjoy Sydney we will love to share it with you and ask away.

Di

Sydney Wildlife World and Aquarium are located at Darling Harbour. You could go to both of these places as they are next door to each other and offer a deal for going to both. Sydney Wildlife World is a lot smaller than Targona zoo but may be a better option if you are limited for time. It is supposed to be fantastic!

You can catch a ferry from the OPT directly to Darling Harbour.

Have a wonderful trip.

Hi,

This would be my list for a day or a couple of days you could not necessarily do them all.

Catch a harbour ferry to Manly or anywhere in the Harbour.(cheap if you purchase a daytripper ticket it covers all govt ferries and buses for one cheap price)

Go up Centrepoint Tower to see the view over Sydney and do the interactive virtual tour of Australia while you are there. (pretty cheap)

Go for a Harbour Bridge Climb if you are fit and dont mind heights (you would have to prebook $$$ but once in a lifetime experience)

Catch a bus to Bondi Beach and walk the cliff walk to Bronte then bus back.(free apart from bus see note above)

Lunch at Bondi Icebergs ($$$ but worth it for the view and the food)

Visit Wildlife World at Darling Harbour. (worth it if you are time poor otherwise catch ferry to Taronga Park Zoo)

Have a steak in the Beer Garden of Phillips Foote in the Rocks area near OPT (Yum and not too expensive)

Walk around the Rocks Historic Area (free)

Visit the Opera House and Art Gallery in Botantic Gardens (free)

Visit the Mint and Hyde Park Barracks for a glimpse into Australia's past (Cheap)

Have a swim in Boy Charlton Pool fantastic location(Cheap)

I think thats more than 10 but all are great...perhaps us Aussies should contribute to the list for our overseas guests...

For my money any of the above would be a better day than the ships tours in Sydney. What do you think?

Given our dollar against the USD now everything just became REAL cheap for visitors!

Guest xywolap

Trains run about every 10-15 min from the domestic or international terminal to circular quay and the fare is $14.80 ault and $10 per child.

The shuttle mentioned above may be a better option as it is $13 pp and would mean less distance to haul luggage.

Thanks everyone for all your help. We are going to stay a few days before the cruise in Sydney at the Marriott Hotel. I think the shuttle will be the better option considering will be carrying our luggage with us. Also thanks rugbypopsie for your list of things to do in Sydney. I will be sure to take a copy with us. We may go to see the Blue Mountains. I hear it very beautiful. We are also going to fly down to Tasmania for 4 days. I know it is not much time to see all of what Tasmania has to offer but I thought we would explore the Hobart area by car. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Sue:)

. We are also going to fly down to Tasmania for 4 days. I know it is not much time to see all of what Tasmania has to offer but I thought we would explore the Hobart area by car. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Tasmania is beautiful and only small so you'll get to see a reasonable amount of it in 4 days. If you're going to explore the Hobart area I suggest you go to Port Arthur. Not syre how far it is but certainly within an easy distance. Also, Richmond, only 26kms away from Hobart is a beautiful little town. And don't forget to go up Mt Wellington, lovely views of Hoabrt:)

Thanks everyone for all your help. We are going to stay a few days before the cruise in Sydney at the Marriott Hotel. I think the shuttle will be the better option considering will be carrying our luggage with us. Also thanks rugbypopsie for your list of things to do in Sydney. I will be sure to take a copy with us. We may go to see the Blue Mountains. I hear it very beautiful. We are also going to fly down to Tasmania for 4 days. I know it is not much time to see all of what Tasmania has to offer but I thought we would explore the Hobart area by car. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Hope this is not a double post my reply just disappeared! Anyway I just got back from a week in Hobart last week.

Hobart is a very compact city so you will have no trouble getting around even on foot!

4 days will let you see quite a lot in Tasmania but my suggestion would be to fly to Launceston hire a car and drive down to Hobart sightseeing along the way. For a start the air fare is cheaper and the scenery between the two cities is lovely with lots to look at and experience. It is not a long distance and the driving is easy and pleasantly paced even on the "wrong" side should not bother you too much. Not heavy traffic

Things to do in Hobart and around

Visit the Museum

Drive up Mt Wellington (there was still snow on top last week)

Cruise up the Derwent, lots of water based tours and the scenery and wild life around the coast are marvellous.

Visit Port Arthur

Have a seafood meal in Hobart or Bicheno, yummy food all over Tassie

Visit the historic village of Richmond and check out the jail (short drive from Hobart)

Salamanca Markets on Sunday in Hobart for interesting souvenirs

If you take the option of the drive from top to bottom I would definately recommend you visit Cradle Mountain...lovely.

Have a good trip:)

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Sue

Having lived a great portion of my life in Tasmania, I would agree with everything the others are saying. If you love Rainforrests, there are some amazing places to visit, including Mt Field National Park, only a relatively short drive from Hobart. No matter what you do or see, you will love it, and it will be memorable. Have a great time

Sonja

:)

Hi Rugypopsie,

you mention Salamanca Markets on Sunday in Hobart for interesting souvenirs..

I think you will find Salamanca market is open on Saturday not Sunday.

great place, love it.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Oops after a week of irish dancing (not me daughter competes) day in day out I lost track. Saturday it is!:)

Oops after a week of irish dancing (not me daughter competes) day in day out I lost track. Saturday it is!:)

Was your daughter dancing in Hobart? One of my customers at work has 2 girls who do it & they have just been there.

The secretary at the primary school where my kids went, her sister in law has an Irish dance studio not far from where I live. Also, my best friend in high school, her 2 nieces also did it (don't think they do anymore) and apparently one of them was very good.

Welcome!!

In answer to your questions - yes, you'll be able to leave your bags at the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) at 8am when you arrive from the Airport.

Regarding attractions - the OPT is in the shadow of both the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge as can be seen in this photo of Pacific Sun at the OPT ;

2363067710078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

and this shot of the Opera House taken from on board Pacific Sun while berthed at the terminal;

2630789430078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

There is easy access to trains and ferry's at Circular Quay for access to other Sydney attractions.

There is a hop-on hop-off bus, and I'm guessing you'd be able to pick it up from the Opera House or Circular Quay. Sydneysiders will be able to tell you more about this.

Since when was the Pacific Sun berthed infront of the opera house?

Was your daughter dancing in Hobart? One of my customers at work has 2 girls who do it & they have just been there.

The secretary at the primary school where my kids went, her sister in law has an Irish dance studio not far from where I live. Also, my best friend in high school, her 2 nieces also did it (don't think they do anymore) and apparently one of them was very good.

Hi Karmac yes daughter was competing in Australian Championships. We do every year all over Australia....I try not to add up what is costs in potential cruises!

She is very successful and has qualified to compete in World Championships a couple of times although we have not attempted that yet.

I hear in North America they actually have come competitions onboard during cruises...amazing...would be really interesting in a lumpy sea!:eek:

My friends niece (the one that is/was apparrently very good) went to America a few years ago to dance. I'm guessing that would have been world championships?:confused:

Not yet, World Championships are held in Ireland every Easter but the USA is huge in the world of Irish Dancing.

Since when was the Pacific Sun berthed infront of the opera house?

Sean, as Karmac said, 8th March 2008.. Both Pacfic Sun & Pacific Star were in Sydney..... Pacific Star for the last time before leaving Australia to go to Pullmantur Cruises, and Pacific Sun arriving from Brisbane and departing on the Cherry Blossom. We cruised down from Brisbane on the 2 night transfer cruise to bring Pacific Sun to Sydney for the Cherry Blossom cruise. Pacific Star went to Darling Harbour and Pacific Sun to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Archived