Parking at the port in Honolulu

terri910

I'm sure this has probably been posted before, but since I didn't see it before we left, and we just got back, I thought I'd post it, anyway.

We just returned from our cruise to-and-around Hawaii on the Carnival Spirit. With an overnight in Honolulu, we figured we would rent a car and park it near the ship overnight.

There is one parking lot in the square just outside the cruise ship terminal, and another just down the street, but the parking is $50/night for overnight parking for either one!!!

We wound up driving back to the rental car office, parking there, taking their shuttle back to the port. Then taking their shuttle back to their office the next morning and getting back into our car!

I don't know if we would have bothered to rent a car for two days if we'd known the cost of the parking. We might've just rented for the day and figured on bus systems or a taxi on our final day. But I thought others who may be heading there should know the cost of overnight parking at the port.

Were there any parking lots maybe further away from the port that were cheaper? What about parking on the street?

"Further away" is a relative term, of course! ;) I'm sure there were parking lots further away, somewhere! But there were none within a distance we wished to walk.

Perhaps others have discovered parking areas (we didn't see ANY available parking on the street near the port, but plenty by the rental car office! *LOL*), and can share the info here -- it would be helpful to those still to visit Honolulu by cruise ship.

It just took us by complete surprise, as we have never come across parking that expensive at any of the other ports we've parked a car at. At Kahului in Maui, there was some parking right next to the security checkpoint for entering the port, and it was FREE!! (A big "woot!" for Maui!).

Archived