In the current climate ???

seapenarth

Will Seabourn have problems introducing 2/3 larger ships into a reducing market trying to use it`s money to best advantage ? From mid 2009, 450 more needed per week, then later 900 more needed each week. We all love the small ships but will the larger ships, with a different atmosphere do as well ? Will they produce the same loyalty and support ? They may have to reconsider options on ships and prices. I shall continue to cruise Seabourn but expect value offers. :cool:

In the end, all of this comes down to supply and demand. There will be times when demand is down and the cruise line will adjust their fares accordingly while they will do likewise when the demand is high.

No one knows for certain how the current situation will play out.

If demand is down because of the economy I am sure in time there will be some good values out there.

Keith

• 1 month later...
About the service it is possible that the quality would be of that found onbaord the Seabourn Sun withdrawn in 2002. I have not sailed on her however. I would love it if someone can tell me how it comapres with the current trio?

Seabourn Sun is part of Holland America for a long time now, so you it is Holland America class now. Only thing I can say, it is a 'classic' ship as some refer to here :D

Seabourn introduced 3 new ships and beacuse of new and smarter management from Miami they are attracting more passengers than ever. Even in this climate. This climate will, hopefully for all you Americans, not last till 2010, otherwise there will be more problems to be concerned about!

About the service it is possible that the quality would be of that found onbaord the Seabourn Sun withdrawn in 2002. I have not sailed on her however. I would love it if someone can tell me how it comapres with the current trio?

Seabourn Sun was Royal Viking Sun originally. Then part of Seabourn, too big. Then part of Cunard, too small. Sold to Holland America where it went extensive rebuilding and is now the Prinsedam. The original was a great cruising experience as it was with Seabourn and Cunard but now ???

Seabourn Sun was Royal Viking Sun originally. Then part of Seabourn, too big. Then part of Cunard, too small. Sold to Holland America where it went extensive rebuilding and is now the Prinsedam. The original was a great cruising experience as it was with Seabourn and Cunard but now ???

I believe it was the Royal Viking Sun - Royal Viking Line, Royal Viking Sun - Cunard Line, Seabourn Sun - Seabourn, and finally Prinsendam - HAL. It has been getting mixed reviews on the HAL boards,

Host Dan

Yes she was the Royal Viking Sun for the Royal Viking Line. She then served another 4 years for the Cunard Royal Viking Line. After that line was dissolved when Carnival purchased Cunard she served a couple of months for the Cunard Line (no longer Cunard Royal Viking- I belive only the QE2 had at the time been under the 'Cunard Line' banner all the former RV ships which joined Cunar where part of the Cunard Royal Viking Line and so where the two sisters from Sweidish American) before being transferred to Seabourn as the Seabourn Sun where she served untill 2002 when she got transferred to Holland America Line.

What I meant with my question was has anyone cruised on her (as Seabourn Sun) and if yes is it like the Seabourn on the trio? Because the Sun was simmilarly sized to the Odyssey so the product could be simillar.

I was aboard the Holland America Prinsendam last year. It is a gorgeous ship~~service and food 6*'s! Most beautiful flowers I've ever seen ~~~huge. massive arrangements everywhere I looked!

The voyage was a TA Crossing -Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon. I met wonderful, seasoned Sailor's ~~some will be lifelong friends.

Would book again in a minute!

Happy, safe weekend:p

Martita B.

I was aboard the Holland America Prinsendam last year. It is a gorgeous ship~~service and food 6*'s! Most beautiful flowers I've ever seen ~~~huge. massive arrangements everywhere I looked!

The voyage was a TA Crossing -Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon. I met wonderful, seasoned Sailor's ~~some will be lifelong friends.

Would book again in a minute!

Happy, safe weekend:p

Martita B.

It had a wonderfull tiered dining area. You ate when it suited you. Holland America gutted the dining area to produce more cabins and introduced two sitting dining, in reduced restaurant area.The Royal Viking Sun was appreciated as a top quality ship, maybe the best.

There were many things I enjoyed about the Prinsensdam. The guests, that I met, were seasoned and most personable. I dined at a table of 8 ~~an Continental Airline captain, his wife, an attorney, a former Marriott Exective and a Federal Judge and his wife from Ga. The food was divine ~~and excellent service. (I purchased a wine card but many times the wine Steward never ask for it)

We all enjoyed The Crow's Nest ~~meeting after dinner for nightcaps. I even started "The Crow's Club...." Carumba! The Bar Staff even set up my "office table!" When we disembarked in Lisbon we had 83 Charter Members. Even the ship's Officer's joined!

One of these days I do plan on returning ~~~

Martita B.

I sailed on the Seabourn Sun from Cape Town to Las Palmas on the 2nd to last leg of her last world cruise. (The ship continued to Florida and then was handed over to Holland America)

The Sun did not, in any way meet the expectations of Seabourn. There were assigned seatings for dinner with assigned tables.:eek:

The service was mediocre at best. I'd say that was due to the ship shortly leaving the fleet but even the virtually invisible cruise director had no concept of customer service.

I'm sure the Odyssey will not be like this at all.

Craig,

My family and I (husband, son and daughter) were with you on that particular last leg of the world cruise (Capetown to Las Palmas), celebrating our 30st anniversary and then my husband René and I continued to Ft. Lauderdale. You are right in a way regarding the assigned tables, but there was open sitting regarding time. Our family enjoyed the time on the Sun tremendously. And that final trip from Las Palmas to Ft. Lauderdale with captain Tore Lura was just one party! What a sentimental journey! I still have some wonderful photos from that trip. It was a pity our video camera was stolen in Las Palmas by the taxi driver, when we took our children to their hotel, but for sure I still have every moment of that voyage in my heart. And in my opinion it was Seabourn style.

To find out what the Sun had turned in to, we once did a crossing (our one and only HAL cruise) on the Prinsendam. It was enjoyable, but different, with wine waiters walking around in the morning on the sun deck trying to sell you a bottle of wine for your dinner! We had a fabulous suite and lovely people on the ship, but it was not Seabourn. Good memories though! I still write with a few guests on that trip.

And then the seize: The Sun did have about 700 guests and not 450. So that's a difference. Let's wait and see!

Marja

Archived