Dominica on crutches?

onelegcraig

Is it possible to get to any of the waterfalls, Emerald Pool, or other sites on crutches? Or is there a place for me to sit at the entrance to these sights so my wife and son can do the hike? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

You may find Dominica tough with crutches. I was at the Emerald Pool this year and I don't think you would want to try the hike down there and back. I honestly don't remember if there was any place to sit.

If you dock at the downtown pier in Roseau, you will find it to be somewhat uneven wood, so you might want to get some assistance to get to the dock exit. If you are going on a tour, all the vans will be there so you are all set. The open market area near the dock is also tough - lots of uneven cobblestones and places to "trip".

Have you looked at the rain forest trip? That would be more accessible for you. Your wife and son could do the short hike while you stayed on the tram.

Have you looked at the rain forest trip? That would be more accessible for you. Your wife and son could do the short hike while you stayed on the tram.

The only thing with the tram is that there are pretty many steps up to get on the tram cars (and down at the end). If I remember correctly, though, the steps aren't steep and as long as you have good arm strength should be do-able. I wasn't able to do the hike over the bridge and what they did was have us stay on the tram until the next stop, then get off and wait until the hikers got back to that tram stop, and then we all boarded the next tram car. It was peaceful sitting in the rain forest waiting.

• 4 weeks later...

When we went with Levi there was a lady in a wheelchair. Levi personally wheeled her into the rainforest to as far as he could; she got to see a lot of the sights, and waited on a nice covered platform while her family went on down to the pool. It is "do-able" if you want; why not e-mail Levi to see what the limitations are? He's wonderful!

Lou-Ann

Archived