What to do for a day in St. Croix?

GatorTide

We'll be there in May on the RCCL Adventure of the Seas. I think the rest of our days are pretty mapped out so we would either like to do a beach day (find a place near a beach bar where we can snorkel and relax) or possibly a Scuba trip. What beaches are good? How do we get there? Are taxis reasonable, or is there a good local bus system? Thanks!!

Frederiksted is pretty quiet and there's not much to do. Turtle Deli is located on the water close to where the ship will dock - I highly suggest eating there for lunch! Absolutely delicious!!

I remember seeing a boat and a few people snorkeling when I went (April), but I don't know much more. Sorry!

If you want to shop you'll have to travel to Christiansted. I would imagine taxi service on days that cruise ships will be in port. It is about a 20-minute drive. Stop by Rum Runners for a drink or two.

The island is BEAUTIFUL, but you'll notice it is also pretty junky. Chickens roam around freely, as do iguanas, especially on the golf course. Don't waste time taking of tour of the rain forest.

Everyone has a different expectation when they visit a new place. St. Croix to me is a special place because it has not become overly commercial and overbuilt like many other places. Yes you will see chickens and goats and iguanas, but that is part of the Caribbean. You will also see really pretty architecture, beautiful views and pretty flowers. If you are expecting St. Croix to look like South Florida you will be disappointed, but if you are open to seeing something charming I think you will like it. Keep in mind many of the buildings in F'sted and C'sted are 200 + years old, so you will see some crumbling bricks and peeling paint. I think that people who have traveled alot outside mainland America really like St. Croix. Some that have never been abroad may not see it the same way. In the States a lot of the buildings are new and shiny.

I think Cane Bay (Mid Island) would be a good choice. There is a beach bar/restaurant and dive shop if you need to rent snorkel gear.

Taxis will be available at the pier. They are actually vans so you will be with

other people. It might be good to arrange with other friends on your cruise to go together so you can fill a van quickly. The island is quite large by Caribbean standards, so if you go to a beach in F'sted it will be less money.

Hope this helps.

Regards from sunny St. Croix,

Ellen

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto the suggestion of Cane Bay; nice beach, good snorkeling and if you wanted to do a scuba trip there is a dive shop right across the street from the beach. Full Moon Bar is also across the street for lunch/drinks and there is a beach bar right on the beach too. Here is the website for Full Moon Beach Bar http://www.fullmoonbeachbar.com/. You can also stick around Frederiksted; scuba businesses are available close by. Nice beaches and some have beach bars like http://www.coconutsonthebeach-stx.com/ and http://www.liminatrainbowbeach.com/. Try a beach guide for St. Croix for photos and info: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu64VJBVJfecAoJ1XNyoA?p=beach+guide+for+st.+croix+vi&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=UTF-8.

Depends on where you are going as far as getting there. Taxis will be available. Once you figure out what you want to do folks might be able to help with a taxi rate for that destination from Frederiksted.

--Islander

• 6 months later...
Everyone has a different expectation when they visit a new place. St. Croix to me is a special place because it has not become overly commercial and overbuilt like many other places. Yes you will see chickens and goats and iguanas, but that is part of the Caribbean. You will also see really pretty architecture, beautiful views and pretty flowers. If you are expecting St. Croix to look like South Florida you will be disappointed, but if you are open to seeing something charming I think you will like it. Keep in mind many of the buildings in F'sted and C'sted are 200 + years old, so you will see some crumbling bricks and peeling paint. I think that people who have traveled alot outside mainland America really like St. Croix. Some that have never been abroad may not see it the same way. In the States a lot of the buildings are new and shiny.

I think Cane Bay (Mid Island) would be a good choice. There is a beach bar/restaurant and dive shop if you need to rent snorkel gear.

Taxis will be available at the pier. They are actually vans so you will be with

other people. It might be good to arrange with other friends on your cruise to go together so you can fill a van quickly. The island is quite large by Caribbean standards, so if you go to a beach in F'sted it will be less money.

Hope this helps.

Regards from sunny St. Croix,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

We are looking at a snorkel tour to Buck Island with either Captain Carl (Teroro) or with Big Beard. Do you know anything about either of these? Can you make a recommendation?

J:)

Archived