Century: upper berths & luggage under beds

LLBgal

Hi there,

We are going to be going on the Century in about a month. I am hoping that you kind cruisers can shed some light on a couple of questions I have....

1) We are currently slated in a room with 2 upper berths -- we don't need the upper berths (we are 3 to a cabin -- but are travelling with our young son). So, I know that the berths will remain folded up -- but how much do they stick out of the wall? Any feedback at all would be helpful!

2) Has anyone ever had a problem with luggage not fitting under the beds? I read a post where the cruiser was upset because they spent the entire week tripping over their luggage... just wondering if we should be careful when deciding which suitcases to bring...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any helpful hints!!!

:)

I can help with one of your questions. We took two suitcases that were right at 26x16x12 and one that was just slightly larger. We were able to get them under the beds, but we had to raise the beds to get them under. Then they fit without hitting the mattress.

We seperated the beds, but I think it would work fine with them together. Assuming your young son will be in the bed and sleeping between you, you might ask if they have one of those egg crate foam rubber thingies. The bed will have a crack down the middle.

I believe the upper berths stick out only a couple of inches from the wall on the Century class ships. We did find it an inconvenience so I make sure we book a cabin without the upper berths. Plus the ladder was an inconvience as it hung by the wall by the closet and we did not have access to the wall hooks.

We have had a problem getting our biggest suitcase under the bed - I can't remember if it was on the Century or the Millennium. There was a metal bar that the bed hooked on and you couldn't lift the bed enough to shove the suitcase under the bed from the foot of the bed. The aisles on the side of the bed were too narrow to slide the suitcase in from the side. And even if we could the bed would be laying across the top of the suitcase. We stored that one in the closet under the clothes that hang only halfway down. Plenty of room for my dresses. Because it is tight to pull suitcases in and out from under the bed, we bought one of those fold up hampers (you twist it and it folds into a small circle) and use that in a corner of the room to hold our dirty clothes. When full, we pull out the suitcase and pack up the dirty clothes. Saves us time as we only have to battle the suitcase every couple of days.

For our back-to-back, we might ask if the steward is able to store our monster bag for us.

I'd say the upper berths stick out about 4-5 inches. My hubby had to be careful getting out of bed as he kept hitting his head on it. He did get quite a bump the first time. We had no problem fitting our suitcases under the bed. One which was quite large did have to go on the side, but we left that under for the duration of the cruise. The others fit nicely underneath. As others have mentioned, you may have to lift the mattress up and there is a bar at the bottom, but they will slide past that with some gentle lifting. I actually thought the ladder came in handy as i place to hang my cover up while slightly damp.

On our first cruise, it never even occurred to me to put the luggage under the bed (how did I miss that tip with all the time I spent on this website? :D )

We had 3 suitcases, and the nestled inside each other, and we just put it on the floor of our closet (under the dresses and suits).

Worked out fine for us.

Archived