Uncovered deck

cardfans

Ok, we just reserved 4 mini suites on the Dolphin deck of the Island Princess for a Feb 2010 Panama Canal cruise. After researching, I have found out that our balcony is not covered. We are travelling east to west and are on the Starboard side, so we should have morning sun and afternoon shade. However, anyone who has sailed this ship in tropical climate without a covered deck, how was it? I really like the location of these cabins and the balconies are supposedly a little larger. But have I made a mistake?

Ok, we just reserved 4 mini suites on the Dolphin deck of the Island Princess for a Feb 2010 Panama Canal cruise. After researching, I have found out that our balcony is not covered. We are travelling east to west and are on the Starboard side, so we should have morning sun and afternoon shade. However, anyone who has sailed this ship in tropical climate without a covered deck, how was it? I really like the location of these cabins and the balconies are supposedly a little larger. But have I made a mistake?

When we take a mini it is usually on Dolphin. (We have one booked for Sept. '09) We don't mind the uncovered balcony at all. Actually it depends how much time you expect to spend on your balcony and what you intend to do there.

Pia

We are on a 2010 Panama Canal cruise also, but it must not be with you as we are travelling west to east.

I have heard that it is very hot as you are not far from the equator. I think the balcony will be unusable if the sun is directly on it. But like you noted, you should have shade at least part of the time. I understand that there are some mini's on the Emerald deck that are completely covered. You might want to see if there are any open there.

Thanks for your replies. After looking at the deck plans, etc. for our ship, I think we will probably stick with what we have. I am not sure we would be out on the balcony during the hottest and sunniest part of the day and we really like the location of the cabins we have. We wanted something closer to middle of the ship and on a deck that has only rooms or quieter areas above and below us. And right now that is what we have along with getting 4 rooms right together.

I have been on the Coral, sister to the island on the Dolphin deck in a uncovered balcony on the starboard side and you should have no problem. Also went east to west. In fact most of the time we were on the promenade deck which is covered checking out the workings of the canal and also on the Dolphin deck way aft of the ship there is a balcony that you can also check out the doings of going through the locks. There is a door that you just open and you can just go and check the workings. The balcony covers the width of the ship. it is used mostly by staff but on canal days it is open to the public. Have a good time.

Marilyn

Archived