Family Cruising on a Budget?

evawebrez

My fiance and I leave for our first cruise in 3 weeks. I'm getting so excited just reading all of the info on these boards and I know we're going to have a great time so I'm already thinking about our 'next' cruise and how wonderful it would be to bring our three children who are 9, 11, & 12. (We're a blended family...this will be the second marriage for both of us.)

I've read about other people finding 'deals' on family cruises... where does one begin to look to find these deals? I can't imagine paying 5 times what we're paying for each of the two of us for our upcoming cruise. Are there discounts for families on any of the cruise lines? Do you have to get a suite to accomodate a family of five?

I just booked my family's first cruise on RCL Liberty for 6/6/09. I didnt find any deals for familys. In fact, I found that I was way behind in booking. I thought with so many months to go, I would have no problem accomodating our group of 17. I was wrong and learned that since Royal Caribbean caters to kids so much, they book up very early. The royal representative told me the cheapest way to go is 2 connecting rooms (3 in one and 2 in another). This is what a bunch of did. The rep told me the connecting rooms go fast. Maybe if I had just my family I could have waited until closer and seen if there were any deals but it seems the way the ship is selling this wont be the case. Have a great cruise!!

There are some cheaper cruiselines - sailings that you can look at when you get back. ;) You don't have to break the bank just to cruise with the kids.

Just go to the different cruiseline web sites and sign up for their mailings. So when there IS a discount, you will be emailed. Sign up for at least Carnival, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean.

There are some 4-5 day sailings on Carnival where the prices start at $229 for the adults and less than that for the 3rd, 4th, 5th person. You could get 2 cabins with those prices. :)

And no, you don't need a suite for 5, they are always more expensive and always sell out quickly. Just get 2 cabins - connecting, adjoining or across the hall.

I just booked my family's first cruise on RCL Liberty for 6/6/09. I didnt find any deals for familys. In fact, I found that I was way behind in booking. I thought with so many months to go, I would have no problem accomodating our group of 17. I was wrong and learned that since Royal Caribbean caters to kids so much, they book up very early. The royal representative told me the cheapest way to go is 2 connecting rooms (3 in one and 2 in another). This is what a bunch of did. The rep told me the connecting rooms go fast. Maybe if I had just my family I could have waited until closer and seen if there were any deals but it seems the way the ship is selling this wont be the case. Have a great cruise!!

That is one ship you need to book early. ;) You picked the most expensive time to sail on one of the most popular family ships.

I have seen sailings on Liberty go as low as $499pp. But you can't sail Summer on Liberty and not pay top dollar. It sells quickly and well in the summer.

Did you or your fiancee-to-be serve in the military? Carnival offers a really great military discount.

I will second the idea of booking two cabins for five instead of a suite. You could book two insides or an ocean view and an inside to save.

Time of year is a HUGE factor. During the holidays, spring break and summer you will pay TOP dollar. We have found A~M~A~Z~I~N~G rates in the fall and late August.

Good luck with your shopping. For our family, there is no vacation better than cruising!

Is the thought of all 5 of you in one cabin out of the question? You could do all 5 in one cabin on a few different Carnival ships. Plus you could get the military discount, as previously mentioned (if either of you ever served).

We are a family of 5 and stay in one cabin. We book as early as possible and then just watch the rates to see if they drop - and call in for the credit!

We also try to sail in September since it's the least expensive.

I know....all of this was already said, but I just thought I'd reiterate!

That is one ship you need to book early. ;) You picked the most expensive time to sail on one of the most popular family ships.

I have seen sailings on Liberty go as low as $499pp. But you can't sail Summer on Liberty and not pay top dollar. It sells quickly and well in the summer.

I sure found that out the hard way!! I wanted a Freedom trip in June but that was already sold out!! I can only cruise in the summer as we are travelling with teenagers whose schedule is killer. There is no way I could talk my 16 yo into missing high school. She would be buried in work. Oh well, I am soooo hoping I will love cruising and am looking forward to the day my DH and I can cruise in the off season. Gee, only 6 years until they are all into college!LOL:D

I sure found that out the hard way!! I wanted a Freedom trip in June but that was already sold out!! I can only cruise in the summer as we are travelling with teenagers whose schedule is killer. There is no way I could talk my 16 yo into missing high school. She would be buried in work. Oh well, I am soooo hoping I will love cruising and am looking forward to the day my DH and I can cruise in the off season. Gee, only 6 years until they are all into college!LOL:D

I was able to get adjacent balcony rooms on Liberty in June-I booked about a week ago. I'm paying top dollar, and I was lucky to get those rooms, but I'm trying to get one more good family vacation in before they are all grown. Oldest is a senior in college, middle is a college sophomore, and youngest starts next year. They would all pitch fits if they were left out of vacation, so we have one week in June that works around everybodies school schedule/work/extracurricular stuff. I hate traveling in June-crowded and expensive- but at this point, its our only option!

I was able to get adjacent balcony rooms on Liberty in June-I booked about a week ago. I'm paying top dollar, and I was lucky to get those rooms, but I'm trying to get one more good family vacation in before they are all grown. Oldest is a senior in college, middle is a college sophomore, and youngest starts next year. They would all pitch fits if they were left out of vacation, so we have one week in June that works around everybodies school schedule/work/extracurricular stuff. I hate traveling in June-crowded and expensive- but at this point, its our only option!

We are going on the June 6 sailing. Are you on this one or another in June? I hear you about getting the kids schedules to mesh with yours. It is so hard to work around THEM. I cant imagine once they go to college. Im thinking summer internships, travel abroad, etc.

travel abroad, etc.

Oh I am daydreaming today about the day my kids go to college...lol.

I was looking at RCL transatlantic 15 day cruises start at $399 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can you imagine a 15 day cruise, going through portugal, canary islands, spain and only paying $399 to start (airfare is $1,050).

I can't possibly pull them out of school for 15 days or more. So I just sit here and dream. :(

Wow... thank you all for your feedback! I suppose I just have to start doing the research and be patient. You're right about the timing though.. I'd hate for the kids to be out of school for any extended length of time but if it makes that much of a difference in price it might be worth it. These sorts of memories last a lifetime! I have many fond memories of vacations with my family as a child... if one of those vacations had been on a cruise ship my parents would have been the coolest parents ever! Lol...

crusinmama06,

You mentioned some 4-5 day sailings on Carnival starting at $229... I have seen great deals like those for cruises that are coming up within the next 3 months but do you ever see anything like that for 6 months to a year or so ahead of time? I'd like to be able to plan something like this out much sooner than 2-3 months from now...

Wow... thank you all for your feedback! I suppose I just have to start doing the research and be patient. You're right about the timing though.. I'd hate for the kids to be out of school for any extended length of time but if it makes that much of a difference in price it might be worth it. These sorts of memories last a lifetime! I have many fond memories of vacations with my family as a child... if one of those vacations had been on a cruise ship my parents would have been the coolest parents ever! Lol...

crusinmama06,

You mentioned some 4-5 day sailings on Carnival starting at $229... I have seen great deals like those for cruises that are coming up within the next 3 months but do you ever see anything like that for 6 months to a year or so ahead of time? I'd like to be able to plan something like this out much sooner than 2-3 months from now...

Actually, if you know what months to look at, you can book it a year in advance. I just checked the Carnival site and they do have cruises in Sept and Oct for 2009 that start at $229. ;)

I know you have kids in school, so you may have to pull them out or bite the bullet and pay full price in the summer or during holidays.

But you can pretty much get a 4-5 day Carnival cruise for $229 in Sept/Oct, the week AFTER Thanksgiving and some dates in May. :)

Just go to the Carnival site, choose a month and click on the option to list the price "lowest first". It will tell you which ships are the cheapest...then when you click on the ship's itinerary it will tell you which WEEK is the cheapest.

Good luck!

We are going on the June 6 sailing. Are you on this one or another in June? I hear you about getting the kids schedules to mesh with yours. It is so hard to work around THEM. I cant imagine once they go to college. Im thinking summer internships, travel abroad, etc.

We are going on June 20. One child has finals end of May, other has finals middle of June, youngest leaves for a month in Germany beginning of July, and oldest starts back to school in August, so I grabbed the one week that worked! My kids were all homeschooled through 10th grade, then started full time at the local community college, so we were always able to take our "big" trips in September/October when they were younger. I can't wait to travel in the off-season again. We are already gathering ideas for our "empty nest" trip September 2011!

Archived