You can lead the in-laws to a Princess cruise...

karatemom2

I agree... as much as my parents talk about cruising.... unless we invited them to join us, as we are doing for our upcoming PC cruise in Feb on Coral, they would never do it on their own. With my mom's limited mobility and my dad being retired research & dev chem eng with everything having to be structured, they wouldn't venture out to explore on their own. They introduce me to the world when I was young.... now it's my turn to introduce them to "another" world.

I would say that a lot of people who tried cruising & didn't love it the first time should try another line. It might be a better "fit" for them.

If I had tried Princess first, I don't think I would have fallen in love with cruising. Luckily, by the time I did try Princess, I already had 8 Celebrity cruises under my belt. I was already hopeless hooked on cruising, so I wasn't turned off to cruising just because Princess didn't really wow me.

Thanks for all the responses! We both really tried to get them on a cruise with us as we knew it would probably be more enjoyable for them but they were quite stubborn about the kind of itinerary they wanted and unfortunately that ruled out our participation this time. I also agree that this was really too long for a first cruise. Maybe they will give it another try with us sometime, but we aren't going to push the issue. I just wish we were able to afford cruising while my parents were still alive because they would have joined us in a heartbeat!

My sister finally got my mother on a ship (my sister's been on some cruises before). As my mother tends to get motion sickness at the slightest motion (after my last trip with her that involved flights, I said no more traveling with her), she never had the urge to go on a cruise. But she got the patch and they went on a 4-day Baja cruise. When they returned, I ask my mother how she felt about it, and she said she enjoyed it, like the food, their dining companions, the shows. But she wasn't bitten by the cruise bug and probably would never go on another one.

We also have friends who probably would never go on a cruise, the woman doesn't like being on boats. She likes luxury, but her husband is a penny pincher. They end up visiting one set of their parents for their vacations. I doubt if they would ever go on a cruise, even though we've told them the advantages. But hubby and I have decided they would be a pain to travel with anyway (her complaining and his frugality).

Archived