RCI Explorer or Celebrity Mercury?

catcruisers

For late 2009, we booked the Explorer southern Caribbean 12 nights. I see that Celebrity will have the Mercury going out of Baltimore at about the same time for 12 nights and is quite a bit cheaper (our promenade room is $50 less than a balcony on Mercury). I know Mercury is a smaller ship (we were on Empress last year, and enjoyed it). For the itinerary, they both have St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Antigua. Explorer adds Tortola, Barbados, Dominica, and Mercury adds St. Croix and St. Kitts. We are in our mid 40's, and don't do rock climbing. Baltimore is a few hours further to drive to. Has anyone done both of these ships, or can recommend one itinerary over the other? We are easy to please, and I'm sure we would have fun on either! Thanks!

Based on past cruises on both ships, I would take Mercury. I prefer the smaller ships. Mercury would be my choice hands down. The most important things to me is the service and quality of the product. IMO, X still have much better service and food. Being a smaller ship, you are not so lost in the crowd. It's nice to have that personal touch

I have been to all the of ports so they don't matter as much to me.

We are late 30s and prefer what X has to offer. We have had great times on RCCL, but X has become home for what they have to offer.

We have sailed from Baltimore and Bayonne, both worked well. The biggest difference from what I understand it the new port in Baltimore. When we did Baltimore the port left a lot to be desired. Bayonne also left a lot to be desired.

What are the most important things to you on a cruise? What do you want?

Thanks for the tips. Being that we have only been on one cruise so far, haven't really figured out our preferences as to sea days or port days. I think either cruise would be okay as far as that mix. One has five sea days, the other six. Does anyone know if you can book a Celebrity cruise while on an RCI ship and get the nextcruise benefit (on board credit)? Since we are sailing next week, it would work out well for us if we could.

Archived