QV November Cruise

rentals1

Hi All.

I am going on the QV for the first time, doing the 14 day Ancient wonders of the med cruise, although I have never being on this ship I have cruised on the QM2 on a number of occasions. I have already booked a number of excursions including instanbul, Epheses and the Cairo overnight. I would like to save on some of the others. if you have any knowledge of the ports of call and can let me know if i can walk these i would appreciate the tips.

Thanks.

http://www.cunard.com/CruiseItinerary_tab.asp?cruiseid=3015&LeftNav=Planner&Active=&Sub=&OB=&Region=&ship=&shipID=QV

rentals 1 Istanbul is one of my favourite cities, the Mosques the Bazaar the bustle.Walking around can be exhausting, the ships berth on Taxim side so there is a walk over the bridge plus the trail along the quayside.This can be exiting!! as they still load ships by hand and with onboard ships cranes.All of the main viewing areas are uphill so if you have problems walking you could be in trouble. Take plenty of suitcases, better still buy them there,there is so much to buy, if you cannot see it they will get it for you, from somewhere, it is magic

Ephesus is large Roman site again it is problematical to walk around, although reasonably flat the passage of time has left large ruts in the ground plus bits of all road stick out, trouble for the unwary walker.It took our party a good 2 hours plus to walk around the site with our guide, then we had to do the obligatory carpet making factory visit.Should it be hot take plenty of liquid refreshment and stout walking shoes and an umbrella(keeps off the sun). It is many moons since we did Cairo but I believe it is even more crowded now.I would imagine that the only way around is by bus or taxi, the Museum is always full and the chances of seeing a large selection of the items on display is remote. Most of the passengerds I have spoken too who have done the Cairo trip from the ship usually Alexandria wound up disappointed, however if you are staying overnight things may be easier for you.

I would agree with doing ship's tours at those 3 ports, they are all wonderful to see!

Malta is a wonderful island steeped in history, so it would be a shame not to explore a bit (I'm biased as I grew up there!). One way to do that is to take a taxi, or pre arranged driver, for the day, and get the driver to take you to all of the main sites, that could work out cheaper than a tour, especially if you could share with another couple, and you can explore at your own pace.

Messina itself is OK, but not that much to do. You could take a train to Taormina if you don't want to do a tour, or if you are feeling that this is a very port intensive voyage, just spend a brief time wondering around Messina and go back and relax on the ship.

From Naples, you can take the train to Pompei, and explore on your own. We did that on a cruise a few years ago, also in November, but it rained that whole time, which was a bit disappointing.

Enjoy your voyage!

Messina itself is OK, but not that much to do. You could take a train to Taormina if you don't want to do a tour, or if you are feeling that this is a very port intensive voyage, just spend a brief time wondering around Messina and go back and relax on the ship.

Messina really is not something extradordinary, but last year we had from this port a very interesting excursion to the craters of the Etna volcano (active, please...:) ).

As I'm sure you know, Etna is one of the most historic volcanos in the world. You may not want to miss this opportunity to explore it.

Archived