Mr. Barbados

Jeanne S

The Wall Street Journal has the exchange rates at 1.90. If one pays in cash, will they get this rate and then the change given in Barbados Currency? Would I get a better rate of exchange paying with a credit card?

Is there a Marks and Spencer in Bridgetown?

Thanks

Jeanne

PS - am sailing on the QM2 November 6th - to arrive I believe Nov 11th.

The Wall Street Journal has the exchange rates at 1.90. If one pays in cash, will they get this rate and then the change given in Barbados Currency? Would I get a better rate of exchange paying with a credit card?

Is there a Marks and Spencer in Bridgetown?

Thanks

Jeanne

PS - am sailing on the QM2 November 6th - to arrive I believe Nov 11th.

The Barbados dollar is fixed at 2:1 with the US dollar. It was originally tied to the British Pound, but it varied too much. It 1975 it was tied directly to the US$ at an exchange rate of 2:1.

It is revaluated from time-to-time. I have seen it as high as 2.07:1 and as low as 1.90:1.

Now, for large purchases (home, car, etc), the exact exchange rate will be honored. For small cash purchases, it is assumed to be 2:1. Paying with a credit card may get you the better rate depending on the rate at the time the bank processes it.

Now as far as change. Most stores in and around Bridgetown will try and give you back the same currency that you gave them. But not always. It is prudent to ask before you pay if they have change in the same currency that you gave them.

The further you get out of Bridgetown, and in the smaller stores and shops, they don’t always have currency other than the BBD, so ask first.

Jeanne, as far as I know there is no Marks and Spencer on the island as yet.

The closest one that I know of is in Hamilton, Bermuda.

Have a wonderful time on the island! :)

Archived