first time flying to get on a cruise ship (?s)

I would think your situation is a bit out of the norm - most people fly a big jet from major airports.

Just for curiosity's sake - I just priced my cruise with airfare. The airfare through RCCL increased our 'price' over $1000 more - I got our JetBlue flights for $114pp each way back in April - so we aren't bound by all those luggage restrictions/fees - and it's $1000+ less. Their airfare alone costs MORE than the cruise (including fuel, taxes, fees, etc). JetBlue also moved us from one flight to the other - I was notified by cellphone - and because I'm only Gold, if I needed to make custom arrangements, there would be an additional fee tacked on. Also noticed when I did a ghost booking to see what air cost - it took off my current resident discount.

I'll stick with finding my own air - if I had to pay RCCL air fees I couldn't afford to cruise.

I figured this would be the usual response and probably for valid reasons. I will argue about the phrase "better choice of flights" That might be more choice of flights, but not always better. In my case, flying from Columbus, Ohio to Miami, American Airlines has a great direct flight that arrives in Miami at 10am, which is perfect for early boarding in Miami. The flight is a small regional jet, seating (from memory) about 30 people. Getting that flight on your own can be nearly impossible as RCI has them booked way in advance, and perhaps on reserve. The three times I have been on that flight its easy to tell that a majority of the people on the flight are heading for a cruise. Last time it was half Carnival people and half RCI people.Other choices may be cheaper, but not as conveneint. (sp) On the one cruise I took and booked my own flights, I saved $100 per person, but the flights were not as desirable. When cruising from Miami, I will probably let RCI make my flights. My next cruise is April from Ft. Lauderdale and again I have let RCI make the reservations for me. Since I booked in November of 07, the flights have gone up and it would cost me $500 per person to rebook the same cruise based on air alone. However, I will probably call Crown and Anchor in January and find out what my flight schedule is,and then look around.

PS. on that last flight the incoming flight flew low directly over the port and a bunch of women who were headed to Carnival said, "Is that our ship, its huge" I had to speak up and say, not Thats Royal's Freedom of the seas, yours is the tuna boat behind it :)

I would think your situation is a bit out of the norm - most people fly a big jet from major airports. .

True, exactly why I worded my message the way I did, so its worth looking at both sides for anyone not flying from JFK, ORD, LAX. Booking your own air is probably better for 80% of cruisers. Airlines and their routes change constantly. Had I booked Jet Blue from Columbus for my last cruise, they pulled out of here before my cruise came.

Archived