Taxi To Rumpoint?? Has Anyone Done This

lcalle

Hi everyone..

I was thinking of just winging it at cayman and maybe do a little beach exploring..

I was thinking of going to 7 mile and if thats too crowded.. maybe taking a taxi to another local beach like rumpoint

seagrape beach seems like its really similar to 7 mile so i figured I'd try something different...

were there from 8-3 so we really dont have time to do an excursion.. and going to the beach there is one of my priorities..

i want to do some snorkeling so my plan was- go enjoy the beach at 7 mile for a little while and then take a taxi to rumpoint and snorkel???

good idea, bad idea???

how much is the taxi to rum point from 7mile or cruise ship?

Hi everyone..

i want to do some snorkeling so my plan was- go enjoy the beach at 7 mile for a little while and then take a taxi to rumpoint and snorkel???

good idea, bad idea???

how much is the taxi to rum point from 7mile or cruise ship?

If you get a good rate, it should cost about US$75 for a taxi from the cruise ship to Rum Point. About US$85 to US$90 for a taxi from Seven Mile to Rum Point. Fares are one way only. Double that to get you back to your ship.

Taxis do not wait at Rum Point unless you make prior arrangements with the driver. You may need to call for a pick up 45 minutes to 1 hour prior to needing a ride back.

I wouldn't recommend a combination of Rum Point and Seven Mile Beach unless you want to rent a car and do the driving yourself.

Most of the major car rental chains have offices in Cayman, so if you've got a favourite, just rent from there. My local favourite is Andy's...a quick google search should find you their website.

However, since you're only in port from 8-3, I wouldn't bother with Rum Point unless that's your only destination for the day and you enjoy the driving it would involve. Since it's tenders, you likely won't be off the boat until 9am and you'd have to be back in the tender line for about 2pm if you want to be safe. It's 45 minutes each way to Rum Point. Add in time to pick up and drop off the rental car (and most of the offices are at the airport, not the port) and heading to Rum Point will mean that you only have just over two, maybe as much as two and a half, hours of beach time for the day.

Compare that to Seven Mile, which is about 15 minutes from the port...a quick and cheap taxi ride (about $4-6 per person each way). You could be on the beach by 9:30 and you wouldn't have to leave to head back to the tender lines until about 1:30 or maybe even a bit later, giving you double the amount of time on the beach.

If you're set on something different, or on Rum Point, try a search in this forum for "Nativeway" or "Rays, Reef and Rum Point" for a description of a well-reviewed snorkel tour that includes stops at Stingray City and Rum Point. It might be something that would interest you...

Archived