hotel prices are going down in NYC bargains are there

smeyer418

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081017/FREE/810179981/1050&category=FREE&nocache=1

You know on the issue of hotel room taxes. I just came back from Phoenix. the total added charges(taxes etc) on my car rental were an astounding 60%! It seems that local governments out there that decry income and other progressive taxes(based on income) are happy to impose non democratically on visitors or others astoundingly high taxes...The same problem exists when dealing with property taxes...it has nothing to do with ability to pay....just fyi(and I guess this does count as a OT statement)...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081017/FREE/810179981/1050&category=FREE&nocache=1

You know on the issue of hotel room taxes. I just came back from Phoenix. the total added charges(taxes etc) on my car rental were an astounding 60%! It seems that local governments out there that decry income and other progressive taxes(based on income) are happy to impose non democratically on visitors or others astoundingly high taxes...The same problem exists when dealing with property taxes...it has nothing to do with ability to pay....just fyi(and I guess this does count as a OT statement)...

Sid - I think what you say is so true....we booked 8 months ago at the BB Marriott and got the senior rate for next weekend - $254 per night. Last week I checked the rates and they were $409 for the same room.

Last night I found out our son wants to join us for our overnight...I cringed since we would be footing the bill! (he is a college student :rolleyes: ). I checked the Marriott web and found the senior rate once again...(happy for us) but it told me the hotel is not full and is looking to fill these rooms.

You can be sure I will be checking them next week just to see if they go any lower!!:)

Thanks for all your advice on the NY boards!

I booked a room several months ago for 1 night in November. I checked the website this past week and found the price had dropped almost $100.!! I called and asked if I had to cancel and re-book or would they adjust the rate. They adjusted the rate and what I save will pay for cabs from the airport and then to the pier.

Archived