Brooklyn Embarkation Question

Cruller

Something I saw in a recent review of the QM2 had me wondering: how do you know you are giving your luggage to the right person/employee at the Brooklyn terminal?

The reviewer said that a yellow-shirted union employee approached him/her and offered to take his bag. The employee had no identification to link him to Cunard, and there was no Cunard employee letting people know where they should put their bags.

I did a search for embarkation, but none of the threads that I could find covered this particular aspect of embarking.

Thanks in advance for your help!

inside the terminal area is a controlled area...no one gets in unless they work there or are passengers. You have passed through a gate that clears you. I know this is the Big bad city but no one has ever reported stolen bags by someone with a cart at the drop off area. Its true they did dump some luggage in the drink the first couple of times but as they say in NY you want to make something of it?

I have departed on the QM2 three times from Brooklyn and everytime there we numerous Cunard personal there to guide you, and all the personal there including those assisting with luggage were all cunard people.

rentals and smeyer --

My concerns may be unfounded, but your responses are still very helpful and much appreciated. I know I will feel so much more relaxed during the process, if I know what to expect in advance.

:) Cruller

• 3 weeks later...
I have departed on the QM2 three times from Brooklyn and everytime there we numerous Cunard personal there to guide you, and all the personal there including those assisting with luggage were all cunard people.

This will be our first time out of Brooklyn. Given the location of the Brooklyn terminal does the ship turn to the port and go near the Statue of Liberty to allow a view?

Thanks

You will be able to see the Statue from the ship. We will sail past as we leave the harbour but we won't be as close as some of the pictures I've seen in the Cunard brochures.

Generally the ship is docked on the port side so if you're located on the starboard side you'll see it from your balcony(?).

Linda:)

We have used the White Star luggage service to avoid the problem of blindly handing our big luggage to intimidating people.

However, at one of our summer 2008 departures from Brooklyn, there was a huge rain storm the day before, and our luggage arrived into our cabin well soaked. Apparently our stuff was stored outside!

We did not make anything of it: just dried stuff out, and made do with the one shirt that changed colors.

You will be able to see the Statue from the ship. We will sail past as we leave the harbour but we won't be as close as some of the pictures I've seen in the Cunard brochures.

Generally the ship is docked on the port side so if you're located on the starboard side you'll see it from your balcony(?).

Linda:)

Thanks. We are starboard but expect to be on sun deck moving around. Might be able to get a close up with the zoom on the camera if light is good

Our last departure onboard the Crystal was from New York Island terminal and was too dark to get any good pictures.

When you've given your luggage to the porters, before you go through security and ticket processing, go out front to the bow of the ship (assuming she's portside, she usually is). She's there in the water, you are beside her. You can look past the bow, across Governor's Island, right over to the Statue. Walk about. You'll get some good shots.

blindly handing our big luggage to intimidating people.

NYC Longshoreman intimidating?:mad: Pshaw!

Seriously, make sure you give them a tip or your luggage may end up in the drink!:eek:

OK, people, this is just a little humor - very little, I know. Just trying to add a little levity to a Friday afternoon!:D

When you've given your luggage to the porters, before you go through security and ticket processing, go out front to the bow of the ship (assuming she's portside, she usually is). She's there in the water, you are beside her. You can look past the bow, across Governor's Island, right over to the Statue. Walk about. You'll get some good shots.

Thanks

There will be better light at that time of day.

Will Do

Archived