Scuba in Belize-Carnival Glory or Coral Breeze Tours?

jdbmga

Trying to decide who to dive with in Belize in July. I know that in Belize a lot of people recommend diving with the ship for convenience. We prefer to not dive through the ship (bad experience last year in Cayman with ship vs. good experience in Cozumel with Alison)

Diving through the ship with also cost us quite a bit more $ as we are a family of 4 divers. I know Carnival Glory uses Hugh Parkey. Coral Breeze dives the barrier reef and Carnival's dive is called Turneffe Atoll. Any difference in experience b/c of the dive site?

Just wondered if any of you have experiences with either of these operators. Please share good or bad.

Thank you for your help with this decision. :)

We dove with Hugh Parkley at Turneffe Atoll and had a couple amazing dives. Don't think I would try arranging your own diving at your Belize stop because of the transfer to shore and then back out to dive again can take a long time and you may be pushing it for time. Turneffe Atoll has some amazing prestine reefs with lots of critters.

Debbie, I don't know about Coral Breezes, but we've used SeaSport ( http://www.seasportsbelize.com ) located in Belize City and were pleased with them. They charged $120 for a 2-tank dive. The Barrier Reef is also very nice so the sites shouldn't be your determining factor, however SeaSport charges $160 to do Turneffe Atoll, which I believe is about the same as the ship excursion, so I don't think the ship is gouging you. That said, a $40 difference between the Atoll or the Reef for 4 people adds up fast!!

Is diving in Belize worth $125pp? It will cost our family of 4 $500 for the day. Is diving in Belize that good?

Yes, worth every penny. It may be even better than Cozumel (depending on the site). I'm attaching a photo of the rare Belize Spotted Toadfish and a Manatee, both of which we saw on a recent dive.

manatee2.jpg.f62b1dae190b4ff206eecd860aede3cc.jpg

belize_spotted_toadfish.jpg.33e904f3c8461e4a61a7ae6d1f605de5.jpg

Debbie, I guess I should have asked "is it worth it" compared to what? Tahiti is better, so is Hawaii, but for the Caribbean I'm not sure it gets much better than this. Personally, I'd make the kids pay for their own diving or encourage them to do a cheaper excursion. :D

Margie, the kids are only 13 and 18. The 18 yo is in college and we are not having her work in order to keep her grades up to keep the HOPE scholarship. She could work the summer but she may take classes and even so it wouldn't be fair to make her pay for hers and not have son pay for his.

Margie, the kids are only 13 and 18. The 18 yo is in college and we are not having her work in order to keep her grades up to keep the HOPE scholarship. She could work the summer but she may take classes and even so it wouldn't be fair to make her pay for hers and not have son pay for his.

I can appreciate that. This might be a better port to take the tender into town, rent a taxi for the day (around $100) and see the country. Stop at the Mayan ruins, the Belize zoo or maybe book a private tour cave tubing -- and save the diving for just the two of you on a future cruise. :)

Yes, worth every penny. It may be even better than Cozumel (depending on the site). I'm attaching a photo of the rare Belize Spotted Toadfish and a Manatee, both of which we saw on a recent dive.

Hey I have a pic of that guy (spotted toadfish) from my dive there a few years back. Must be the same one as they did say it was a good find. Also found about 5-6 huge green Moray eels within the first five minutes of the dive right under the boat. Had a pair of dolphins swimming along the boat from their lagoon for a couple miles too. Amazing to be able to look them right in the eye as they are checking you out. Some keep talking about big groups with the ships dive there but our boat had around 15 people on it and was split into groups of five based on skill level so we had a dive master cruising along with our group and found amazing big and small critters the whole dive with divers of the same skill level so never had a problem. Had a lot more trouble with that in Roatan on 2 separate occasions. Was a real cluster **** each time with Anthony Key Resort.

I am also looking into scuba in Belize (going with the ship vs booking on my own). I am going to be on the Norwegian Pearl and I see the ship has the excursion listed as 6 hours. If they pick you up from the ship, how long is the boat ride to the dive site? Does anyone know if Norwegian also uses Hugh Parkey? Thanks.

I am also looking into scuba in Belize (going with the ship vs booking on my own). I am going to be on the Norwegian Pearl and I see the ship has the excursion listed as 6 hours. If they pick you up from the ship, how long is the boat ride to the dive site? Does anyone know if Norwegian also uses Hugh Parkey? Thanks.

I don't know who NCL uses but I'll be on the Carnival Glory in March and the description they have is a 5 hour 2tank dive to Turneffe Atoll, consisting of 2 hours total travel time (to & from the dive site directly from the ship), 2 - 1 hours dives, and a 1 hour interval between dives. NCL must have more time built in somewhere but I imagine it's similar.

In March on the Carnival Legend we dove with Hugh Parkey through the ship. They do pick you up at the ship, but then stop by their shop (on one of the atolls) before heading to the site. On the way back they do the same.

Yes, they do. Trying to make every additional penney they can. The divemasters are not bad but the divesite they took us to the day we dove with them was a disappointment after Cozumel. Also, way too many people for our liking.

Archived