Should I take something for sea sickness as a precaution ?

Delta Dear

I get carsick if I sit in the back of the car but not the front and thought I would be OK. I have been on two cruises and tried all kinds of things Double doses of Bonine, wrist bands, ginger, ship location, etc.. and nothing has really worked very well. I had my doctor prescribe the patch and I am actually doing a "test drive" right now. I have had a bit of blurry vision but nothing too bad, no drowsiness and no dry mouth. I will be doing a "drinking" test this evening to see if the patch will prevent me from having a drink of the day. I am hopeful that the patch will work for me because I was miserable before.

• 1 month later...

I have major problems with motion sickness and have found that Scopace is the only med that works for me. It's the pill version of the "patch" but offers flexibility with dosing as I only take it 1 hour before I need it - when the ship is moving. I usually only take half of the dose - then take the remaining dose if I really feel like I need the boost. It's only available by prescription so your doctor can advise you on how to take it. All of the other remedies just don't work for me.

Just Google "Scopace" and you'll find everything about it. Here's a brief description I found on the web:

The US Centers for Disease Control recommended scopolamine for the prevention of motion sickness! Read the CDC's recommendation for travelers.

Fears of rough seas, turbulent flights, and bumpy drives are frequently cited by persons hesitant to travel. Low dose SCOPACE provides travel comfort while minimizing possible side effects.

The typical dose is 1-2 tablets taken an hour before travel. For prompt absorption and action, the dose should be taken on an empty stomach. Each dose comforts for up to 8 hours.

An important difference between SCOPACE tablets and the scopolamine patch is dosing flexibility. The patch provides a fixed dose. One fixed dose may not be appropriate for all patients. In contrast, you and your doctor can adjust the SCOPACE dose to meet your personal needs. This is important because you should take as little medicine as is necessary to get benefits while minimizing the risk of side effects.

SCOPACE dissolves within minutes for quick absorption and onset of effect.

Enjoy your cruise!

I did as a precuation. It was my first time sailing so I wasnt sure if i would be seasick or not. I bought Dramamine? i think it was and i needed it the night we left port. But after that night I was fine. It definately dosent hurt to have it. And you can always buy it on board!

When in doubt, always better to play it safe. We have a prescription patch that we put on the back of ear, put it on a few hours before sailing. They last for 72 hours, then change. We have had some rough seas and have never had a problem with motion sickness.:rolleyes:

Archived