What to wear on a formal night...

chyanmor

What to wear on a formal night....  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear on a formal night....

• White Jacket, Black Shirt, White Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • White Jacket, White Shirt, Black Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • White Jacket, Black Shirt, Coloured Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • Black Jacket, White Shirt, Black Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • Black Jacket, White Shirt, Coloured Bow tie, Black Trousers

Can someone explain black and white night for me?

I thought most men would wear a black DJ/Suit and white shirt anyway?

is it a compulsory thing or just a bit of fun?

Also do you have to wear black or white shoes?

Sorry am a little confused on the last 2 cruises we have been on there were no black and white nights. Just want to make sure we pack appropriately.

Thanks

Chris

Personally, I have never seen that here. Heated, yes, but not nasty.

I have seen it on other boards :( & probably here - it was the way this thread was going before it was pruned the other day.

It doesn't help when 'trolls' from other places come in with the distinct aim of winding people up.:rolleyes: (formal threads seem attract them more than others)

Sorry am a little confused on the last 2 cruises we have been on there were no black and white nights. Just want to make sure we pack appropriately.

Thanks

Chris

Now I have the 'black dress', I tend to wear all black, but probably with coloured accessories:eek:

(I'm not a fan of white at all, until I have got a tan anyway:) )

However, its not compulsary ;) there are always people who wear colour for all sorts of reasons - One time I sent my black dress for cleaning before knowing the next night was black & white night:eek:.

Personally, I have never seen that here. Heated, yes, but not nasty.

To wrap up the off-topic discussion on our Guidelines so that we can go back to the topic, the reason you haven't seen nasty posts is because there are so few on this P&O UK forum in the first place---you are all a rather well behaved bunch---and because when a nasty post is made, we get an alert quickly enough that we can remove the post before it is seen by very many people.

As for the alert system, it is quite efficient. Every alert is sent to every Host and to two members of Cruise Critic management so that, if a really bad post appears it will have a very short life. Conversely, if an alert is filed on a post that is not a serious problem, the Host is usually the final arbiter on whether it stays or goes.

Last point. Our standard is 48 hours maximum to address an alert, with a 24 hour preference. Most alerts are handled faster than that. (I am in GMT-8, California, but most of the Host team is in GMT-5, the US east coast).

Now my last question on the original topic.

How can a coloured tie ever be appropriate with a black shirt? (I suppose the good taste of the members of this forum is evident in the nil vote for this option.)

Thanks

Chris

Chris

This has not been mentioned, but about 1/5th of the men may wear a white/cream jacket instead of the usual black one on black and white night, this makes a nice change for them after wearing the usual black tux on all the other formal nights....all sorts of combinations can be worn (white jacket black shirt, white bow tie black trousers etc) (or white jacket, white shirt, black bow tie, black trousers)

Some men wear a different bow tie, a black and white striped or spotty one for example.

Assuming your D/J as a button hole, you could wear a white flower as a gesture to the black and white evening.

Have you really, really been on a cruise? I have been on a few and have never seen this strange practice.

Chris

This has not been mentioned, but about 1/5th of the men may wear a white/cream jacket instead of the usual black one on black and white night, this makes a nice change for them after wearing the usual black tux on all the other formal nights....all sorts of combinations can be worn (white jacket black shirt, white bow tie black trousers etc) (or white jacket, white shirt, black bow tie, black trousers)

Some men wear a different bow tie, a black and white striped or spotty one for example.

I could never wear white, I would be bound to spill red wine on myself, wear black and it never happens, wear white and it always happens. Even wearing a white shirt is dangerous.

I am not a fan of ties, bow or regular. I wear one if I have to. Normally wedding, funerals, job interviews and of course cruises. So my range of ties is black or silver. :D

I am going to have to buy some shirts before the cruise so might get a couple of black ones as well as the standard white.

Chris

There were quite a few people wearing buttonholes on Ventura in November. They looked great.

The ladies were wearing corsages as well.

Ann

Thanks for support Steelerannie, seems everything I post to do with Ventura or Arcadia gets questioned. I too sailed in November and the flower arrangements for the weddings and in general were stunning. There was even corsage makeing class, the corsages were very popular as were the buttonholes.

Me too, the long flight from Leeds. Pity we didn't meet aboard then you could have confirmed I was there. I think all of the weddings were on the first week, I saw at least 6 at various times. The florists did an amazing job. I had a bouquet of flowers delivered to the room which looked wonderful, and had a scent which was delightful.

Probably only wedding parties wear a white flower in their button hole on a formal night then, and Chris isn't getting married...if he was to wear one people would think he was?

Chris

They also serve cherries in a gooey cherry liquor on formal night as well, my husband ordered that with a white tux jacket on - I was a nervous wreck... but it was ok - phew!

Its not compulsory to only wear a buttonhole if one is getting married. I also know that all the weddings didn't take place on formal nights. Thirdly we don't know whether Chris getting married or not, and if he is not what does it matter what people think.

Chris

So many waiters.....

This is in the Tropics I trust? In my view anywhere else and a white dinner jacket is just wrong.

Striped and spotty ties are, again in my opinion, always wrong, save on clowns.

As for blackshirts.... You do realise who are most famous for wearing smart black shirts, don't you? Isn't that reason enough to avoid the look?

sorry , plenty of white jackets to be seen on Med and Canaries cruises...just the tropics sooooooooooo outdated now I'm afraid .

Why should the men just wear BORING black tux to every formal night just cause you don't like them:rolleyes: A black bow tie with tiny white dots (on sale in m&s) make a change from boring black ones...yawn...

sorry , plenty of white jackets to be seen on Med and Canaries cruises...just the tropics sooooooooooo outdated now I'm afraid .

Why should the men just wear BORING black tux to every formal night just cause you don't like them:rolleyes: A black bow tie with tiny white dots (on sale in m&s) make a change from boring black ones...yawn...

Would you want to do something that marked you out as not knowing how to behave?

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/Warm_Weather.htm

Well, ofcourse I knew that, but it doesn't change the fact many men wear white/cream tuxs and a assortment of bow ties on cruises today.

Surely thats better than what some of them are wearing? Casual jacket, NO ties, let alone bow ties, all sorts can be seen on formal nights now, even on pando - shock horror, the 'golden oldie' days of cruising are long gone I am afraid. 100's of men on a formal night on non caribbean cruises were wearing the light white/cream jackets.

Archived