Favorite local food and shopping

great08

My husband and I are taking our first cruise in a few weeks. In Cozumel we would like to do some shopping and take in some authentic Mexican food. But not necessarily, in the "touristy section." We are looking to keep it within walking distance of the pier. Does anyone have any suggestions? What are your favorite local places?

My husband and I are taking our first cruise in a few weeks. In Cozumel we would like to do some shopping and take in some authentic Mexican food. But not necessarily, in the "touristy section." We are looking to keep it within walking distance of the pier. Does anyone have any suggestions? What are your favorite local places?

This website has good info on things to do in Cozumel and also has a list of their "Favorite Places to Eat." http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/

If you dock at the downtown pier, Punta Langosta, you are within walking distance of many shops and restaurants and town plaza. The main road, Melgar follows the shoreline and there are many shops lining the road. We prefer to get away from Melgar and walk along Ave 5 -- there are shops but with less foot traffic than on Melgar.

Los Cincos Soles is an interesting shopping area north of the Ferry Pier. Pancho's Backyard is inside. Very nice lunch spot.

If you dock at either one of the other two piers, International or Puerta Maya, you will need a cab to get to town -- $6 to $7 each way. Confirm the price before getting into the cab.

We ate lunch at Pancho Backyard and had a horrible experience. This spot is a typical tourist trap, high prices for mediocre food. The food was extremely bland and tasteless. The service was not great. We had to ask someone to take our order and then were charged for 2 extra margaritas we didn't have. The atmosphere was nice though! I would only go back for a maragarita and guacamole.

Since we stayed overnight, the next day we asked quite a few locals were they would have lunch. The overwhelming response was La Choza. You have to take a cab there. We had four people and it was 4 dollars. The food was very authentic and very good! Resonable prices. We had 3 waiters helping our table. When we needed a cab back to the pier, one of our waiters went outside and hailed us one. We don't speak much Spanish, but this wasn't a problem.

We ate lunch at Pancho Backyard and had a horrible experience. This spot is a typical tourist trap, high prices for mediocre food. The food was extremely bland and tasteless. The service was not great. We had to ask someone to take our order and then were charged for 2 extra margaritas we didn't have. The atmosphere was nice though! I would only go back for a maragarita and guacamole.

Since we stayed overnight, the next day we asked quite a few locals were they would have lunch. The overwhelming response was La Choza. You have to take a cab there. We had four people and it was 4 dollars. The food was very authentic and very good! Resonable prices. We had 3 waiters helping our table. When we needed a cab back to the pier, one of our waiters went outside and hailed us one. We don't speak much Spanish, but this wasn't a problem.

Thanks so much for the tip. We will have to try it out. We are looking to our cruise and our time in Cozumel.

I have to second the El Choza,but we didn't have to take a cab,as long as your downtown its not to far away,a few blocks.I also have to agree about Panchos backyard,years ago i would have recommended it,not now I think they got the big head,not near as good as what it use to be,Not only that I believe they put something in our drinks,can't prove it but I'm positive they did and so was everyone that was with us,no never will visit Panchos again,Just my two cents worth on the subject.

The reason we thought this is because there were six of us drinking,two only beer and four of us drinking margaritas.Two of the men drinking are big boys 250 and above, us other two half of that.We had a big lunch decided to order some margaritas,the first one no problem started on the second one and all four of us were totally gone,I mean all at the same time,within minutes of each other.We couldn't remember anything after a certain point.When my sister got us back to the ship,thank goodness she didn't drink the margaritas,we were all sick,I mean vomiting terriably.Believe me we are no light weights when it comes to drinking.Like I said I can't prove it,its just one of those things you know.I have no idea the kinds of drugs that are out there,I know whatever this one was,was one that knocked your a-- out!!!!So no i will never go back to panchos backyard.Its very scary drinking of what can happen and does happen.Ever since this happened there is always one in the group that won't drink.

Archived