Paradise Beach... be careful!

laurenlou

So we went to PB and had a great day--- lots of drinks, good food, made friends with the world's smallest hermit crab. When time came to pay our tab it surprised us- $130. But looking at the itemized list we assumed that those $10 refil yard glasses added up. But we had a good time, so it was ok. I asked our waiter (Chancho?) twice if gratuity was included, he said it was both times. We got home this morning, I checked my bank account, and there is a charge from PB for $163. I didn't keep the itemized reciept but $163 for 2 people to have a plate of quesadillas and roughly 8 drinks is absolutely insane. Of course now, I'm back home and can't do much about it.

Moral of the story: check and double check those receipts from Paradise Beach! It may be free to get in, but aparently they get their money however they have to!

Did you read the menu with the prices before ordering all those drinks and food???? I am sure that it is not PB fault when everything is clearly listed on prices, now on the grat, in most places you would have to write it in and sign for it... Glad you enjoyed PB, it is my fav place in Coz, was there myself last week and had a blast

Of course we read the prices... we knew that it was expensive and were fine with that. What I had the problem with was the waiter telling me that gratuity was included in the $130 tab, showing me the line where it was included, and then charging me $165. Even if gratuity wasn't included in the $130, $165 would be a 27% tip added, which is insane. Everyone makes mistakes, I'm sure someone made a mistake somewhere in our transaction. Unfortunately, theres not much I can do about it now that I'm back in the USA.

Just posting a cautionary tale to those going to PB in the future...

Of course we read the prices...

PB clearly states on the menu that a 20% service charge will be added to credit card purchases. This is not a tip for the waiter but the price you pay for the convenience of using a credit card there.

Most credit card companies will also charge you up to a 4% or so foreign transaction fee on top of whatever you charged outside the country, and that has nothing to do with PB.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame PB.

PB clearly states on the menu that a 20% service charge will be added to credit card purchases. This is not a tip for the waiter but the price you pay for the convenience of using a credit card there.

Most credit card companies will also charge you up to a 4% or so foreign transaction fee on top of whatever you charged outside the country, and that has nothing to do with PB.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame PB.

If that is the case, it wasn't so clear. We looked over the menu multiple times for appetizers. Good to know though.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/menu1.php?menu=2

I remebered seeing it when I was there and sure enough I pulled it up on their website. Sorry you missed it~

Wow! That is insanity! Anyone know why they feel the need to add 20%?

We sure did miss that, and the waiter didn't bother telling us-- even when we pulled out a fist full of cash and decided to use the card instead. We asked if gratuity was included, otherwise we would have given him a cash tip, and he said it was... so we put it all on the card. :rolleyes:

Note to self-- cash only in MX next time!

Wow! That is insanity! Anyone know why they feel the need to add 20%?

We sure did miss that, and the waiter didn't bother telling us-- even when we pulled out a fist full of cash and decided to use the card instead. We asked if gratuity was included, otherwise we would have given him a cash tip, and he said it was... so we put it all on the card. :rolleyes:

Note to self-- cash only in MX next time!

I think it's because they get charged a lot in fees by the credit card company. Your waiter may have assumed that you knew??

But I"m glad that you got to enjoy your day there. Those yard long drinks do get ya after awhile, don't they, LOL

I think it's because they get charged a lot in fees by the credit card company. Your waiter may have assumed that you knew??

But I"m glad that you got to enjoy your day there. Those yard long drinks do get ya after awhile, don't they, LOL

We slept for 13 hours after those yard drinks! Whew!

I agree 20% is high for a service charge. I have been to Cozumel several

times and have never been charged a service fee for using my cc. If the do have to charge 20% is not a fair service charge . They do state that so you have the choice not to go there is you don't want to pay the price. Factoring in the cab, drinks, food, and use of the optional toys it will cost you. It's your choice.

We go to Paradise Beach several times a year and we always use our credit card.

They always give us a clear itemized list of every drink, every plate of food, every bottle of water BEFORE we pay for anything.

I still have the one from last week in my purse.

Last week we had another couple (separate tab) that came to sit at our table and chat with us (after they had been seated in loungers on the beach).

They ordered a lot of stuff both from the lounger and at our table, so naturally I was concerned that their charges would get mixed up with ours.

Not one charge was wrong. I am not even sure I could have kept up with all that....but they did perfectly.

If you have a serious concern, I would suggest that you email Tom. He will be more than happy to review every charge and explain anything that is not clear. And if there has been an error (they are human) he will handle it.

Our family of four (including wristbands for 2 people and tip) have never had a bill over $100.00. Compared to all inclusives that charge $50.00 a person (our boys are older teenagers so they would be charged the adult price), Paradise Beach is a DEAL!!! Again, we have been there as many as 5 times a year since they opened....so we have LOTS of experience there.

I think part of the problem is that we never looked at a menu until 4 hours after we had been there. We got there, they seated us, our waiter introduced himself, we both ordered pina coladas, and enjoyed the beach and had drinks. Around noon, we looked at the menu and studied the appetizers-- our eyes didn't really wander down to the bottom where the 20% thing is printed. We ordered quesadillas and that was it.

When it came time to pay, the waiter gave us a bill of $130, said gratuity was included, we started to pay with cash, I again asked if gratuity was included, he again said it was, and we decided to use the card and save the cash for the cab and shopping.

I emailed Tom, no response yet. Will keep trying.

According to credit card companies I have spoken with, merchants are not allowed to charge extra for using a credit card. I would check with your card company and see if you could dispute the charge.

I don't believe that applies to other countries.

Even in the US, merchants are allowed to offer a discount for paying with cash. It is done all the time with gasoline purchase.

It is all relative and certainly possible.

I think part of the problem is that we never looked at a menu until 4 hours after we had been there. We got there, they seated us, our waiter introduced himself, we both ordered pina coladas, and enjoyed the beach and had drinks. Around noon, we looked at the menu and studied the appetizers-- our eyes didn't really wander down to the bottom where the 20% thing is printed. We ordered quesadillas and that was it.

When it came time to pay, the waiter gave us a bill of $130, said gratuity was included, we started to pay with cash, I again asked if gratuity was included, he again said it was, and we decided to use the card and save the cash for the cab and shopping.

I emailed Tom, no response yet. Will keep trying.

You will hear from Tom.

I just found my receipt and we had just the opposite experience...

Our ticket was ( pecos)

CONSUMO (consumed as in what we ate and drank) $684.00

The Propina (Tip) is listed separately at $ 136.80

Total Charge $820.80 (again in pecos)

When the ticket hit our American Express ...the TOTAL amount was $62.72

I am use to the American amount being around 10% of the peco amount, so I emailed Tom to make sure we had not shorted someone $20.00.

He emailed me back and said no...that the peco/dollar rate had been fluctuating WILDLY for several weeks and our charge just happen to go through at a really good time.

Again, you will get an itemized ticket that lists every drink, food, bottled water.....and then once you charge it to your credit card, you will get a ticket that shows the breakdown listed above that you sign in pecos.

What you consumed and the tip are listed separately on the ticket you sign.

So everything (consumed items and tip) is as detailed (BEFORE THE SIGNATURE) as they can get it.

Now obviously they have no control over the exchange rate. We just happen to hit it on a really good day.

• 2 weeks later...
We go to Paradise Beach several times a year and we always use our credit card.

They always give us a clear itemized list of every drink, every plate of food, every bottle of water BEFORE we pay for anything.

I still have the one from last week in my purse.

Last week we had another couple (separate tab) that came to sit at our table and chat with us (after they had been seated in loungers on the beach).

They ordered a lot of stuff both from the lounger and at our table, so naturally I was concerned that their charges would get mixed up with ours.

Not one charge was wrong. I am not even sure I could have kept up with all that....but they did perfectly.

If you have a serious concern, I would suggest that you email Tom. He will be more than happy to review every charge and explain anything that is not clear. And if there has been an error (they are human) he will handle it.

Our family of four (including wristbands for 2 people and tip) have never had a bill over $100.00. Compared to all inclusives that charge $50.00 a person (our boys are older teenagers so they would be charged the adult price), Paradise Beach is a DEAL!!! Again, we have been there as many as 5 times a year since they opened....so we have LOTS of experience there.

I totally agree LHP. Me and my son are heading to Mobile in the morning to head out on the Holiday again and will be at Paradise Beach Saturday. I have never had a problem there either.

Outside of the US, many vendors add a service charge on the credit cards. My ex has a business on Roatan, and her service charge was 7%. That was just to cover the fees that the Honduran bank charged her for getting the money from the American bank. Many places added on percentage points, just to hide some more profit.

The world is different in the 3rd world countries. Never let your guard down! They are looking for suckers!!!!

As a small business owner I know all about the credit card surcharges. Anytime someone uses a credit card or a debit card we automatically loose 3-4% of that sale. Along with that, if someone uses a card with points, mileage or a corporate card we get charged for their cards. Your earned points and miles on all credit cards are paid by merchants. We are also charged a fee everytime a card is swipped, a card is declined or the magentic strip does not work and we have to manually enter the card number. Our monthly statement shows us our total charges for visa and mastercard purchases. After that we are charged for every transaction -3% to 4%, then we are charged for every card we have taken that is a mileage or rewards card. Many business' like ours takes into account these charges when we our pricing our merchandise. Restaurants like the one on the this thread recoup their charges by doing the 20%. It would shock many of you to see a monthly statement for a small business and see how much money we are out due to all the charges we take on for accepting credit, debit, rewards and mileage cards. We have to recoup it some where or else it has the abilily to dig deep into the business' profits. Tom - I will be in Cozumel in December and if I get the chance to visit your business I will. I'm always up for a good drink!

Archived