Snacks on board...help

WHENNEY

Hi, I am a first time cruiser and am wondering about taking food off the ship. My son is on medication and he needs to eat every 2 hours or so. I know there will be plenty of food on the ship, but what about while we are at port and on excursions? A friend suggested I take tupperware and put fruit from the buffett tables - but I'm not sure that's allowed. Should I bring my own snacks and just put them in my backpack--I'm not sure I'm allowed to bring food from home on the cruise. We leave next weekend and I'm getting concerned about this (I know I should have thought of this earlier, but somehow this one slipped thru the cracks :confused: ).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

Packing your own Nutra-Grain bars or packages of peanut butter crackers is the way to go. They'll take up little room in your luggage, and you won't have to even think about it--they're in your bag and ready to go.

Make sure you bring the packaged snacks from home. If you're forced into buying candy bars, chips, etc.on the ship, it'll cost plenty! I'm not sure what you'll find off the ship either, but it has to be cheaper!

We've taken ziplock bags and ordered plain sandwiches through room service, put them in a back pack and walked right off. No problem. Then if the kids were starving or didn't like what we were eating, they could have a ham sandwich. They also bring chips with the sandwiches, which we bagged up.

It usually depends on the port where you are landing. The port (or country) often have restrictions. I took individual packets of cheese and crackers on a flight to Amsterdam in case we wanted a snack. They said I could keep the packaged crackers but had to throw away the cheese. I think the suggestion that you take things from home is a good one because they are usually more expensive on board. The ports usually don't allow fruit, sandwiches, etc. off the ship.

Just go to the ship's store... plenty of snacks you can feel safe about, for purchase.

Hi, I am a first time cruiser and am wondering about taking food off the ship. My son is on medication and he needs to eat every 2 hours or so. I know there will be plenty of food on the ship, but what about while we are at port and on excursions? A friend suggested I take tupperware and put fruit from the buffett tables - but I'm not sure that's allowed. Should I bring my own snacks and just put them in my backpack--I'm not sure I'm allowed to bring food from home on the cruise. We leave next weekend and I'm getting concerned about this (I know I should have thought of this earlier, but somehow this one slipped thru the cracks :confused: ).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

We do take cereal boxes daily for our kids snacks.

We also bring the small bags of Chips with us, perfect for shore snacks. Last time we brought granola bars, but didnt need them.

Catrin

I am sure Carnival could care less if you bring snacks from home with you on the cruise. That just means you will be eating less of their food.

We usually bring some snacks along. Not a lot, but it is nice to sit out on the balcony and have some mixed nuts or munchies and not have to try and find some on the ship.

Also, It is nice to have a candy bar or something when in the room for a little snack. I know you can buy them on the ship, but they cost a small fortune.

Just bring on the snacks that you child will be comfortable with, and no one should care.

i take all sorts of food when we go to land. It saves a bunch of money from having to buy food. Just go to the buffett and stock up. they say not to bring anything for health reasons but I think they just want you to buy food in their country at very high prices. go ahead and do it, we have never been caught.

i take all sorts of food when we go to land. It saves a bunch of money from having to buy food. Just go to the buffett and stock up. they say not to bring anything for health reasons but I think they just want you to buy food in their country at very high prices. go ahead and do it, we have never been caught.

Ummmm yea, because 50 cent tacos in Mexico are super pricey..darn that exchange rate :rolleyes:

This thread was about someone that needs to help her child with a medical issue that requires him to eat at certain times, not about trying to save money.

We typically grab a couple boxes of dry cereal in the buffet on port mornings. Fruit loops, cheerios, things that are good without milk. Sometimes strenuous excursions will find our tummys rumbling before we can get off the dive boat to a restaurant ashore or back to the ship for lunch so we snack on them.

Also, some beach type excursions do include food/snacks or if you are doing a beach club on your own, many have their own restaurants. The cereal is still a nice back up plan though.

We've taken ziplock bags and ordered plain sandwiches through room service, put them in a back pack and walked right off. No problem. Then if the kids were starving or didn't like what we were eating, they could have a ham sandwich. They also bring chips with the sandwiches, which we bagged up.

Well, this is wrong. Don't give out incorrect information.

Passengers are not allowed to remove food from the ship except for prepackages snacks. Just because someone chooses to ignore the local laws of the country you are visiting, doesn't mean it's OK.

There are reasons why...having to do with the safety of the agriculture on islands and in other countries. Just like in the U.S., where you are also forbidden from bringing in food products.

It's the islands and countries you visit that prohibit food being brought in. They have laws just like the U.S. has laws prohibiting this. The reasoning is to prevent foreign bugs, molds, fungi and other spores and bacteria being brought in that might adversely effect their agriculture.

But you go right ahead, save a dollar or two. What does anyone care...it's not your country, right?

Wrong on every level.

A country's eco system can be put in grave danger - think fruit flies and California. There was a very enlightening thread a few years ago that spelled this out in great detail. If search would ever work again, I would find it and post a link.

Although there are places that can and do charge 'very high prices', it has been my experience that there are many places with very reasonable prices with fantastic food to boot. You are really missing out.

You've never been caught. Good for you. Don't for one minute think that this makes it right. Think about this if the day ever comes that you are caught off the ship with this fine food. You'll be surprised at just how much that food cost you.

Pre-packaged food has always been considered ok, but there has just recently been a thread about this no longer being allowed in Coz.

More than once, when I've gone ashore at a foreign port, there was a large trash can next to the gangway, filled with sandwiches, fruit and other unpackaged food that passengers had attempted to take ashore. The ship's security people were watching for this.

I don't think I've ever seen them search bags or purses, so you probably could hide something and get away with it.

Please don't.

There have been many infestations in the US, caused by people bringing fruit, vegetables, even house plants into the country and inadvertantly bringing along a new species of fruit fly or other insect or plant disease. That's why the US has strict laws against this practice.

Most of the places we visit on cruise ships have such laws, as well. I think that we, as Americans, have an obligation to respect the laws of other countries, just as we expect visitors to our country to respect ours. Besides, I think this is a good law. These infestations are real and cost millions of dollars in lost crops and increased food prices.

Paul

Hi, I knew when I read your post that it would cause the "uglies" to come out.

The rules are that you can not remove food from the ship except prepackaged snacks or cereal. I understand your problem. I am in the same shoes. I suggest that because your childs health is at risk if he doesn't have food every couple of hours, bring prepackaged snacks from home. The kind he likes and that will be enough for him to take the medicine. I will be bringing the peanut butter and crackers (individually packaged) because you can not always find food when you need it. Especially if you are on a tour or excursion.

It's the islands and countries you visit that prohibit food being brought in. They have laws just like the U.S. has laws prohibiting this. The reasoning is to prevent foreign bugs' date=' molds, fungi and other spores and bacteria being brought in that might adversely effect their agriculture.

But you go right ahead, save a dollar or two. What does anyone care...it's not your country, right?[/quote']

Do you mean to say they (Carnival) are serving us sandwiches with bugs, molds, fungi and other yuckie stuff in it......:eek: :eek:

Time to switch cruiselines....LOL......:D :p ;)

Do you know what the penalty is if you were to be caught? Hopefully it's something along the lines of being LOCKED UP IN A THIRD WORLD PRISON. If not, perhaps it's something along the lines of a fine of several thousand dollars... Is it really worth it to break the law in a foreign country and place yourself in the hands of THEIR judicial system, which may not be nearly as concerned with the "rights of the accused" as we are in America?!?! Just to save a couple of bucks?!?!

I urge everybody to follow the laws. It's not that hard to do and the alternative just isn't worth it...

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I don't want to break any laws or upset a country's eco system. I want people to respect my country when they come here, I plan to do the same in theirs. Plus, there is enough damage being done to this world (just look at the stuff people throw out their car windows). I will definately bring my own food, prepackaged.

Thanks for your help! :)

yea.. we can tell..

How come you never come back after stiring up the pot? Perhaps because you are a low life troll

I am bringing Capri Suns, water bottles, Granola Bars and a few pre-packaged snacks from home which I will put in a soft cooler and take to the beach. Although I plan on eating in all ports, it's part of the fun, I want some extra drinks and snack for the kids, esp. in Grand Cayman at the beach. We're not doing an all inclusive there, unlike Jamaica and Coz, and I think it will be helpful. We can eat at the Reef Grill and have snacks in between. My daugher has no medical condition... she is just starving every 20 minutes! :)

Archived