Preventing sea sickness

PerryBeck

I am traveling to South America over the Christmas holiday. We will be cruising for much of our trip. My main concern is nausea caused by the motion of the boat. I would appreciate any recommendations you have for myself, my wife, and four year old son to prevent sea sickness. Thank you.

I'd like to say firstly that very few people are seasick - and I've been on some pretty rough sea!

The main thing if it is rough seas, is don't just go to your cabin and lie down - you will feel far worse!!! Stay on the upper decks, as near the middle of the ship as you can (this is where there is the most stablility and the entertainment in the public areas will be distracting). Don't drink too much alchohol or eat too much! Try drinking ginger ale - this was a tip given to me by a Captain on a very rough cruise we sailed on years ago -it certainly appears to settle your stomach as "Touch wood" I have never been seasick since!

If you do succumb, the Guest Relations desk and the shop on deck 7 next to the Pub on the Island Star sell seasickness tablets. If you are really bad, the Doctor can give you an injection, but these are expensive.

Hopefully you'll be fine and will have an enjoyable cruise, but it's as well to be prepared!!!

I was in heavy seas on the Star last November, whilst not sick I was a little 'green about the gills'......the restaurant manager recommended a green apple....within an hour actually was actually enjoying the experience !:)

Archived