Winter water temps

trixie54

Has anyone snorkeled here in the winter months? We are concerned about the water temps being several degrees cooler than in the more southern islands (even Jamaica). We've been to the Bahamas several times in winter when it was too chilly/windy to swim or snorkel all week.

Go here: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/trinanes/searchmaps1.cgi?month=1&day=1&year=2007

enter the date you plan on visiting, minus 1 year, then select "SST" to the right of the row labeled Caribbean.

This will give you a sea surface temp map in Celsius. Multiply by 9/5 and then add 32 for Fahrenheit

Are your kidding(LOL)? Much too much hard work involved in figuring this out. I'll just wait and dip my toes in. That's how I'll determine whether or not the full body jumps in.

Are your kidding(LOL)? Much too much hard work involved in figuring this out. I'll just wait and dip my toes in. That's how I'll determine whether or not the full body jumps in.

No, I wasn't kidding. "Comfortable water temperature" is a VERY subjective thing. A life-long Canadian may think 72 deg F water is great, but a Florida native would be reaching for a wetsuit. Mid-December water temps can be many degrees different than in mid-February.

If you pick an island, then pick a date, I'd be happy to give you an estimate (in Fahrenheit). ;) :D

OK - Providenciales (Grace Bay), beginning of Feb. water temp?

Thanks!

Surf temperature is sometimes a few degrees warmer than sea surface temp

26C = 78.8F

27C = 80.6F

28C = 82.4F

29C = 84.2F

30C = 86.0F

Sea Surface Temp:

Feb 3rd, 2007 - 27C to 29C

Feb 7th, 2007 - 28C to 30C

Smooth sailing :)

Archived